Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-22-2002, 10:28 AM   #1
Faramir Took
Hobbit

Strider No advance in Technology

Does anyone else think it is strange that in 3000 years, there were absolutely no advances in technology???? You would think with all the bright and powerful people wandering around middle earth in all those years, that someone would have invented something!!!!!
Old 11-22-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Did they want to? Hobbits liked things to endure, elves are so timeless I doubt they'd want to change (and besides they're bogging off the the greys soon enough) men are too divided to create any real developments and dwarves- well, nuff said!!! Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:09 PM   #3
Sween
im quite stupid

Tolkien was himself very very against technology so thats why if anything there is a decline in technology in tolkiens work throughout time till men finally become dominate.

the dwaves nuff said? excuss me but of all the races bar the eleves the dwaves were probably the most skilled at making things much more so than men.

There is a early on quite a bit of development (esspecially in the sil) and they learn of the valar how to make all sorts of fun stuff
Old 11-22-2002, 10:47 PM   #4
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Well, Lord of the Rings just wouldn't be the same with technology.

It's a fantasy, it's unreal. It definately would not be so good with people dropping bombs everywhere. I really can't belive you asked that.

And besides, Saruman with a laptop is just too weird.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:59 AM   #5
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Tolkien does not go into detail about technological progression. However some basic examples would Melkor actively using breeding (dragons, orcs, trolls), the elves perfected weaponary, ship building and certain level of quasi Roman and Medieval like technology was spreading.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 07:00 AM   #6
DraztiK
Enting

Nazgul

And don't forget that Sauron invented a Cloaking Device

Our Armies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Our Brothers in Belgium, Holland and France will not fail.
Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy,
Switzerland, Austria, back to the Glory of Germany!
~Manowar - Blood of the Kings~
DraztiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 08:11 AM   #7
Sween
im quite stupid

i find it intresting with tolkiens work that each race is basically upon a diffrent time line to the others (well in terms of fashion anyway)

the hobbits like to dress in clothes from about a 100 years ago. Rohan is obvosly quite viking influenced and glondor more medieval.

The elves seems to be a bit pre hisorty to me you cannot really realate them to anything the romans were not as graceful as the elves were.

this is a post that could possiably of been influenced by the movie and my ignorance so feel free to have a go.

I think the buildings of middle earth are facinating the fortresses surpass anything that we have ever managed to make many of the buildings in lord of the rings were made thousands of years before the war of the ring but were still in mint condition. Bar Dur could not be broken even after 9 years of seige. i love the agonaths i think someone somewhere should try and make them in this world cos they just would surpass anything we have made (maybe excluding the prymids)
Old 11-23-2002, 01:41 PM   #8
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

Strider

maybe they didn't have technology in Middle Earth!

But i totally agree though, someone should've invented something (but what about the mithril coat and, as DraztiK said, the cloaking device).
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 02:33 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

What an ignorant statement. There are always technological advances - I think you are perhaps missing the message that tolkien was trying to pull across - the depiction of Saruman who was using industrial technology (which can be compared to the technology we use) to illustrate the negative impact that it had. There were many instances of "technology" being used: palantirs, rings of power, weapondry, architecture (Orthancs walls could not be crumbled), horse & cart, etc. These are all technologies that could hardly be called 'primitive.' Furthermore, you can not limit technological advances to just the dwarves and men - elves too, used certain technological developments, ie the rings of power, the silmarils, etc. The Noldor were reknown for their love of crafts.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:33 PM   #10
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

A timely question -- was reading the prologue to the 1965 revised edition the other evening, and this sort of popped out at me (emphasis added):
Quote:
Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time. In other matters they [hobbits] were, as a rule, generous and not greedy, but contented and moderate, so that estates, farms, workshops, and small trades tended to remain unchanged for generations.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 07:35 PM   #11
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
What an ignorant statement.
I was wondering when you would find this thread.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:10 PM   #12
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I could go on and on about the role of technology, but instead I recommend Tom Shippey's Author of the Century, wherein he discusses, among countless other topics, Saruman's characterization as a technocrat...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 12:49 AM   #13
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Re: No advance in Technology

Quote:
Originally posted by Faramir Took
Does anyone else think it is strange that in 3000 years, there were absolutely no advances in technology???? You would think with all the bright and powerful people wandering around middle earth in all those years, that someone would have invented something!!!!!
Didn't Sauron 'invent' the one ring. A pretty nifty device, I believe. BoP has already mentioned the technology they used - you don't expect them to have invented the automobile and computer, do you?
Old 11-26-2002, 01:06 AM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Re: Re: No advance in Technology

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
...computer, do you?
Who needs the internet, when you've got a palantir?
Old 11-26-2002, 09:15 AM   #15
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Saruman invented loads of stuff, including a whole new breed of orcs don't forget! Today's scientists would be hard pushed to do that (plus they wouldn't be allowed!). He also invented the 'blasting fire' (some kind of gunpowder?) that the orcs used at Helm's deep.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 05:42 AM   #16
Nunc
Hobbit

BoP is right, I believe.

Part of the main message of LOTR is the "evils of the industrial age" with the implication that industrialisation defiles the earth, in some cases beyond healing.

I think the idea is also that the Elves perfected natural technology; the palantiri were elvish gifts to the Numenoreans. The Noldori created the silmarils and other fantastic jewels. The Teleri also created (with Ulmo's aid and direction) the swan-boats, and the Eldar as a whole built cities and so on, the craft of which probably passed to the Numenoreans... or before that when the Noldor were in Middle Earth during the Exile, perhaps they taught the craft of building impregnable fortresses to the three houses of men (the fathers of men).

As the Numenoreans fell and dwindled, and as Gondor failed, note the lessening of technology. The implication is that it was once what it is no longer, that, along with the "golden past" it too is sinking into oblivion.
Nunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:59 AM   #17
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

That's an interesting point. The stuff about Saruman representing the unfettered technocrat, and the sentimental portrayal of pre-industrialisation is well documented. But I'd never considered the decline of Numenorean "technology" in this light.

Perhaps this is to do with our own attitudes to technology. We have thoroughly bought into the notion that technical development is always in the "forwards" direction. I suppose it's the same theme in the "unmaking" of the Ring, something we could not countenance with, say, nukes.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:22 PM   #18
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Imagine inventing like a whole new spieces of living being!!
I would love to think of a race; their personality's, looks,
everthing!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 01:24 PM   #19
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

One thing that's often overlooked is the focus Tolkien had on creation, which included but certainly wasn't limited to technology. This can be seen in a question I saw at another JRRT Web site once: what did the Elves do in Aman all the time? The basic idea there was that they got bored, but I think rather they were meant to fulfill their being with the help of the Valar and their blessed presence. Hence, among other things, so much was created there by them: the ships of the Teleri and the beautiful port of Alqualonde (? spelling, the books aren't handy presently); Tirion, etc.

Creation, like all things of power (the most primitive of which would be a sword), was double-edged and could slip and "cut" its user. The Noldor got into the act of creation the most deeply in terms of tools (technology), and so they, alone among all the Elven kindreds, were the most skilled, as embodied by Feanor and the Silmarils, but they also got their egos caught up in their technological successes, and that, rather than the technology itself, was the problem.

It wasn't so much the "evils of technology" that Tolkien was getting at, as everybody used some technology (even hobbits), so much as it was the confluence of technology and ego -- beings creating via tools instead of via their own qualities, or will.

Hence, in his mind (and in "The Akallabeth") the Numenoreans toward the end of their days sailed to Middle-Earth in steam ships, but when they went to land on Aman, it was aboard ships rowed by hand, i.e., by human will. If it was just "evil technology," then certainly Ar-Pharazon would have steamed his way into the Forbidden Lands.

And so the hobbits, until Saruman's intervention, escaped evil, by being "generous and not greedy, but contented and moderate," not getting their egos all caught up with tools, but living in a balance with creativity (in their case, cultivation of the land for food and gardens and forests, etc.).

Contrast Feanor's fierce and ultimately destructive love of his Silmaril's with Sam's love of ropes, for instance, or if you want to keep it elf on elf, with the words of the people of Lorien, who said that they put the thought of all they love into what they make -- that was the magic of the elven cloaks the Fellowship was given.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 04:54 AM   #20
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
There seems to be a general theme of EVIL being the primary source of technological "advancement." Morgoth (breeding-twisting things), Sauron (breeding and twisting the bred and twisted things, siege engines), Sauruman (breeding the bred and twisted things with Men, blasting fire), Sandyman's smokestacks, etc. Good, on the other hand, seems to -- um, I dunno -- be concerned with perfecting existing creations. Mithril wasn't a technological advancement per se, but the use of a better metal for perfecting existing technology -- i.e., chain maille.

I don't suppose this applies in all cases, but there seems to me something to it. I think Tolkien deliberately reversed "mainstream Western society's" belief in progress in his writings. Change or "growth" (in the capitalist economic sense) wasn't seen as good, in Middle Earth. Quite the opposite, it seems to me. Only by the end of the Third Age, beginning of the Fourth, when the Elves are all pretty much gone or fading away does the race of Men start "accelerating" towards all the loveliness of modern life... Yuck!

...but I ramble.

Perhaps a more basic distinction is between the organic and the mechanical, rather than simple technological "progress" or not...?

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote