Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2002, 11:14 PM   #1
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

Grammar, Punctuation, Spelling, etc.

This has been mentioned in the "your very own avatar" thread, but I would like a new thread devoted specifically to this subject.
I've noticed, especially on the internet, that the rules of spelling, punctuation and the like are broken and in some cases completely disregarded. Many of these instances might be accidental or developed into habit by everyday speech, but sometimes it's ridiculous. Aren't these things supposed to be taught in school?
It may not seem like a big deal, but it just drives me nuts! How are we supposed to understand you if you don't attempt to make yourself legible? I'm sorry, but I thought the members of a site devoted to a great philologist would be especially wary of their writing.

Any other people who need to vent their grammar-rage? What in particular bothers you? Or are you guilty of these atrocities against the English language? Please share.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:29 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

I tend to be more annoyed with misspellings and poor grammar than punctuation gaffes. I mean, it's the internet, not published literature. I'll admit that at times I'll be lazy about my punctuation, and also I write sentences that might be worded better, but I prefer to save a little time, since, you know, I'm not being GRADED or anything. I think there is a problem in that schools don't teach spelling like they used to. I think by middle school students should have points taken off of their work for spelling mistakes. Poor grammar is sometimes the result of regional dialects, and also needs to be emphasized in school, more so than it is now. I, like everyone else, have misspelled words in posts, or other mistakes, but a lot of times it's due to typing too quickly and just not catching the mistake.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:34 PM   #3
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
There IS a difference between you're and your. And too and to. And there, their, and they're.

I'll admit, every now and then I make these mistakes, but it's so irritating!

Also, the misspelling of 'definitely' or 'definite'.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:02 AM   #4
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I usually catch most of my mistakes before they actually get posted. I do have to stop and think about the difference between it's and its sometimes, though. For some reason I imagine my English teacher standing over my should most of the time...

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:22 AM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yeah, grammar, spelling and punc. errors bug me somewhat, and it's/its errors bug me more! but I really wouldn't want anyone to stop posting because they feel bad about it (do you hear that, you bad spellers, etc. out there? ) (and I don't think any other "good English" people would, either). It would be nice if they tried to improve, though - but whatever... I know we were talking about "apostrophes of mass destruction" in the venting thread (which was really funny!) but I hope no one was deterred from posting after reading it. I enjoy trying to write my best, and I enjoy other people's well-written posts, but content is the most important to me (as long as I can make out what they're saying )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:28 AM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

It's matter of speed in my case. I am rushed due to time constraints.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:40 AM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*thinks "oh, this is WAY too tempting "; examines TBA's post*

Actually, Treebeard's apprentice, I think that people's posts are very LEGIBLE, they just are not very INTELLIGIBLE sometimes!

Hey, the writing-lovers among us should make this into a game - we should submit a post for examination and challenge the others to find errors! As long as everything is done in the spirit of fun and learning, w/o any meanness, then it could be kinda fun!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-28-2002, 03:50 AM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Extreme spelling errors bug me, but I'm not a punctuation nazi. It annoys me more when some annoying git comes along and whines about punctuation. Big [EDITED] deal. There *are* more worthy causes to whine about, ya know.

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair
Old 10-28-2002, 04:43 AM   #9
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

I fink its bleedin' terrible wot some folks fink that they can get away wif in da posts!

I'm guilty! Most of the time I never bother to proof read my posts. Although if I do spot a particularly atrocious typo I'll edit the post and correct it. I blame too long being in Chat rooms where speed of communication has replaced accuracy (and the fact that I'm usually doing several things at once with the computer while posting on here).

Bad spelling and punctuation don't bother me, as long as it is legible enough to understand the gist of what is trying to be said.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:45 AM   #10
Hannah
Sapling

It bugs me too, but are we all word perfect? I have a tendency to let my imagination run wild and type faster than I think. I also suffer from mild dislexia. So I don't necissarily think that it is fair to judge. I am a great lover of linguistics and have worked very hard to learn the basics and work up. So I do apologise in advance for making mistakes, should I do so!!
Having left school three years ago(having finally achieved 2 a-levels and an AS Level), I agree that grammer and spelling etc, is not taught so well anymore. I have done most of the work to get where I am , myself and with the help of my now husband. So yes I think schools are partly to blame.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 10:54 AM   #11
Sween
im quite stupid

i personally cannot stand people that dont spell things correctally lol
Old 10-28-2002, 01:01 PM   #12
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

*contemplates making a remark about the typo in Sween's sig. Doesn't want to be obnoxious, knows that he's kidding in his post anyway, and therefore refrains.*

Spelling was my worst subject growing up, but as I started to read more, I started paying attention to my own spelling. When I was sixteen, I got a job as a secretary, and one of my jobs was to send out letters to our supporters, and to proof read my boss's letters--no mistakes allowed!

I admit to being a punctuation nazi, and an evil grammarian, but bad spelling is what ticks me off. Don't worry about me, though, I'm too nice to nitpick at other people. That is, unless they nitpick at me first.

Last edited by crickhollow : 10-28-2002 at 01:21 PM.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:02 PM   #13
Rían

Sween - LOL! Well said!

And there's the SECOND legible/intelligible error! English fans, am I right here or not? "Legible" refers to whether or not you can read something visually (i.e., sloppy vs. neat, smudged vs. clear); "intelligible" refers to if it is understandable or not.

I was thinking more about this last night, and I realized that I purposefully write in a more speaking-like way here. I am able to write essays, but this is really "talking" that is going on here, although written down. And I am not on any discussion boards that admire great philologists solely for their philology skills; I'm on this board because I love Tolkien's works (although he was GREATLY skilled with words, which I think greatly enhanced the works). And I personally am careful with spelling, etc. because I like to be.

Old 10-28-2002, 01:04 PM   #14
Rían

*reads crick's post*

HI crick! um, do you want me to point out the apostrophe error in your post? ( ) (and you KNOW I really like you!!)

Old 10-28-2002, 01:22 PM   #15
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

*goes back and edits post*

*Innocently* What apostrophe error, Rian?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:23 PM   #16
Rían

*hee hee*

Old 10-28-2002, 01:45 PM   #17
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Extreme spelling errors bug me, but I'm not a punctuation nazi. It annoys me more when some annoying git comes along and whines about punctuation. Big [EDITED] deal. There *are* more worthy causes to whine about, ya know.
Are you a punctuation communist instead then?
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 02:01 PM   #18
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

Webster's American Dictionary College Edition:
Quote:
legible: capable of being read or deciphered, esp. with ease, as writing or printing; easily readable.
I think 'legible' would apply in the context that was used. Discussion board and chatroom-type stuff (MIsuse of CAPITAL LetTerS, misplaceds paces, etc.) is not easily readable, is it? Therefore, it would not be legible.

Does anyone disagree?
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 02:23 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Hey, I admit I am a terrible speller, but I try to catch it most of the time before I push that submit button. I am what is known as comma happy though. I put commas in places that don't need them, but oh well. I don't care if you guys are irritated.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 02:45 PM   #20
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm comma-happy, too! So sometimes I don't put commas in because I think I've used too many already. I love, and I mean love, to use, and insert phrases that require, commas!

Edit: oops, I spliced!

Last edited by azalea : 10-28-2002 at 02:46 PM.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote