Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-02-2001, 10:12 PM   #1
webwizard333

Old Copies

Elanor inspired this topic. I for example have onely one copy of the Hobbit, but I don't dare to read it anymore because its so old. Now I believe books are for reading, not collecting but still. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-02-2001, 10:25 PM   #2
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Old Copies

I just have LOTR... and I bought it last year... so it's not really a problem (the problem is that it cost me a hundred box)

But I have old BD that were given to my father by an old lady back in his youth. So they are something like 50-60 years old... I don't read them (don't like them)
Old 08-04-2001, 03:31 PM   #3
webwizard333

By "don't like them" do you mean there are a lot of changes between the two editions?
Old 08-05-2001, 12:52 PM   #4
Shanamir Duntak

No... it's old BDs that were never reedited. If I remember, it's X13, old detective Bds.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:11 PM   #5
Bullroarer

I keep my FotR in a bag, both covers came off. They were one of my dad's copies and I never found the RotK, so I bought a new one. The TT seems to have lasted the longest, and my The Hobbit I recently lost and hate myself for that (looks like I'll have to clean my room....again)
Old 08-11-2001, 11:30 AM   #6
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Odd, I have a copies from the time when my dad was a kid, and The Two Towers also has survived the longest for me.
webwizard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 09:43 PM   #7
Bullroarer
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

Shorter book....
Old 08-13-2001, 09:55 AM   #8
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Gandalf

You're right. Out of curiousity when you find your Hobbit can you tell me what edition it is?
webwizard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 10:24 PM   #9
Bullroarer
Elven Warrior

what do you mean....its fairly new, I had to replace my very very old copy
Old 08-14-2001, 09:29 AM   #10
poppy
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee Old copies

Just thought id join your conversation i have 1 really old copy not sure how old because the covers are missing and 4 other one so im never with out
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 09:39 AM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Treebeard

I have the original hardback Hobbit I bought in 1971. It is just green, but the cover paper is that green, black and blue block print of mountains, trees and a road. What I was surprised at when I looked it over just now is the list price was $3.95! Wonder what the paperback cost!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 09:55 AM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Nevermind... wrong forum.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-25-2002 at 09:59 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 02:43 PM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well LOTR has a copyright of '65 but my H. has a revised introduction dated '73. Go figure. Anyway I've had to reglue the bindings several times 'cause I refuse to buy new ones.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:08 PM   #14
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

I've got the hardcover LOTR books, Houghton Mifflin, "Second Edition, Revised With a New Foreword by the Author." Tolkien's copyright on them is dated 1965, if that makes any difference. (There was a big fuss about copyright after the first publication, wasn't there?) The paper jackets are mostly gone (except for shreds of the TT jacket and the front jacket for ROTK, which shows the book sold then for, are you ready? $6.50. The whole set was likely under $20). The pages are marked up but the books are still intact and have that neat eye/ring/inscription logo on the front cover (orange for FOTR, red for TT, and purple for ROTK).

My copy of The Hobbit is also the green hardcover one; I really enjoy that artwork on the paper jacket, though it too is crumbling.

I wonder if anyone knows whether copies of the original Hobbit without the editing for LOTR are still around?
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 07:37 PM   #15
Caleb
Hobbit

Well mines orange so their.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:21 PM   #16
katya
Elven Maiden

my copy was read once by my brother. that did a lot of damage right there. i just dont understand the boy. oh well. remind me NOT to lend him my lotr books like i promised.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 07:06 PM   #17
nazgul prince
Enting

Nazgul

I have the ted nasmith cover art ones.I got them two and half years ago.The hobbit is green with gandalf walking up to bilbo at bag end.the fellowship is blue with frodo escaping the ringwraiths at the ford.the two towers is red with frodo and sam traviling through the emyn muil. And return is purple with gandalf and pippen on there way to minus tirith.O yeah there all paperback.
nazgul prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 12:33 AM   #18
Duddun
I Antha

I just bought a new set so I don't have those problems although I have them with other books but I usually still read them.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:00 AM   #19
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I have a very old (fourth edition) copy of the Hobbit, but I bought the millenium edition because the old one was falling apart. On the other hand the copy of LoTR I have is truly ancient and has good thick paper. I accidentally dropped it in the bath and it still held up, unchanged! The only thing is that the lovely hand-drawn maps have fallen out, but they tuck back in allright.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:01 AM   #20
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Did a search before starting a thread (aren't you proud of me guys? I'm learning!) and it turned up this thread.

[slightly off topic]
Does anyone have a copy of "There and Back Again"? I think that's what the original Hobbit (before LotR) was called.
[/slightly off topic]

Yeah, I know what you mean about the old copies! My mom's FotR is completely ripped. It's in two sections, plus the covers, plus a few spare pages. New meaning for "Breaking of the Fellowship"!

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote