Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 08:01 AM   #1
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

Nazgul How come none of the Nazul have been killed?

Aragorn said that the nazul could only be hurt by elven swords, and there are only 9 in middle-earth. How come none of them have been killed?
Old 10-19-2002, 08:29 AM   #2
Millane
The Dude

ok well first off i think this is a books thread ohhh well someone else will move it and then to answer your question
1. Remember the Nazgul were the most powerful of Saurons servants so i dont think many elves would be picking fights with them
2. there weapons were numerous and bad
3. After the ring was cut from Saurons hand the nazgul like there master were bound to it and were not destroyed but were swept into shadow and were powerless.
4. they were powerless until Sauron called them (around 1300-1400 of the third age) and then the Nazguls leader the Witchking rose and ruled Saurons fortress of Angmar where he had Orc legions in his service and was able to slowly defeat the Dunedain of Arnor...
basically they were too powerful.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:30 AM   #3
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I think Millane is right.

Ps. it's belong to ME, and you already posted there the same thread.

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 10-19-2002 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:03 AM   #4
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Nazgul The nature of the Nazgul

I think Millane is wrong. Humph .

Actually, the Nazgul don't seem extraordinarily tough. Aragorn was able to defeat/scare-off five of them on Weathertop, and Glorfindel was also described as being capable of doing that, and they did not have elvish blades. True, Aragorn did have the broken Narcil, but I don't think that they were scared away by that. Gandalf also was able to defeat large numbers of them when they attacked him on Weathertop.

The Nazgul are different. They aren't brute strength fighters like the Balrog is. They have another power, and that is the power of terror. They wield strong and powerful wills, and are able to drain the morale of an entire army with their shrieks. They also are capable of granting strength and singleness of mind to their armies (Notice how the Witchking does this at the battle of the Pelennor Fields). They can be dangerous fighters, the Witchking proves that, but I don't think of them as necessarily Sauron's most powerful servants. Although they probably were in their particular expertise.

I think that the reason they cannot be killed except by elvish blades is because of their nature. They are the only creatures that Sauron has which are spirit creatures. They were not drowned in the flood at the Ford of Bruinen but were able to return to their master, although their horses were killed. They couldn't be killed because they were "Neither living nor dead," to quote Aragorn.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:07 AM   #5
Millane
The Dude

LE i think you would pay to actually read my post...
coz if you actually read it you would see that i never said that the Nazgul were tough i said they were the most powerful of Saurons servants and i think youll find that they were... second i never said they were awesome fighters (which they were nonetheless) but that they had orc legions behind them...
apart from that i agree with what you have to say... but so i recall 'no mortal men could touch them. a mortal who had been blessed by elvish spells' or words to those affects and this is just a guess but i would assume that Aragorn, Glorfindel and Gandalf would have been blessed by above spells...
if you are reffering to the incident at the ford of Bruinen it wasnt Glorfindel that wholly defeated the Nazgul there but both the spirits in the water and the Nazguls fear of water...