Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2002, 04:49 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

VH1's decision to air "Music Behind Bars"

Tonight VH1 airs "Music Behind Bars". If you don't know what it is - it's a series of shows that looks at bands that are made up of inmates. The band members are rapists and murderers. One member murdered a 15 year old girl. I am, as well as others, outraged by this. I was wondering what others' thoughts were on this. VH1 claims it is a show to demonstrate how music helps to rehabilitate prisoners.

Quote:
Music Behind Bars
Murderers. Rapists. Thieves. Guitarists. Drummers. For many prison inmates, making music is the only taste of freedom they'll ever get.

Gritty and groundbreaking, Music Behind Bars reveals the incredible true stories of bands behind bars and explores the redemptive power of music.....
No - I have not watched the show. Usually I don't judge a show until after I have seen it. The idea of the mother of the 15 year of the girl being able to see her daughter's killer having fun, on stage, on TV and "enjoying" jail time - is just too sick for words in my opinion and there is no excuse for airing it.

I posted this on the VH1 messageboard...

Quote:
VH1's decision to show "Music Behind Bars" is sick and the worst public relations decision I have ever seen a company make. Even the thought of seeing these murderers up on stage enjoying life is an outrage to all victims of crimes. These are MURDERERS and should not be glorified on TV. By the many messages expressing outrage - it's good to see that I'm not the only one outraged and sickened by this decision. Whoever proposed and approved this show should be fired!!!

If VH1 airs "Music Behind Bars" I'm calling my cable company and asking them that they remove VH1 from their lineup. If you are outraged by this - hit VH1 where it hurts - the pocketbook. I call on everyone to tell their cable/satellite companies and tell them to no longer carry VH1.

MTV is still out there and at least they have not had the audacity to honor bands that are made up of a bunch of CONVICTED MURDERERS and RAPISTS.

I will be adding this to other message boards and spreading the news.
Someone has set up a petition.
Quote:
Initiative:
Register to this site for a petition to be generated and mobilized in your neighborhood for VH1 to remove the airing of this video tape. If the action is not taken by VH1, request that VH1 be removed from your local cable companies program lineup. Be prepared to cancel your cable subscription if your local cable company does not adhear to your request. The mobilization to cancel cable subscriptions nationwide will be Monday, November 18, 2002. If demands are not met, we'll mobilize as one on that day to disconnect cable service. Hopefully VH1 will understand that by removing the airing of the tape and courteously apologizing, they can avoid this initiative.
I personally think that the disconnection of cable subscriptions goes too far - for one thing, cable companies have contracts with the stations they must abide by. Everything else in the petition I agree with though.

For information on the show and the crime look at - It's only rock and roll, but it's brutal. I don't agree with all the points in the article.

Family Outraged By 'Music Behind Bars'

I feel I should watch the show, but I'm torn. I can not come up with an excuse for airing this show. Maybe if peole watch it - we can discuss it under that context as to whether the show was more designed as a "jail rock concert" as has been implied, or as a documentary on "the redemptive power of music" as VH1 claims.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-18-2002 at 05:28 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:10 PM   #2
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I have never heard of this show, I don't think it will air in Canada, but I think that's really disgusting!

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:19 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Hah. I knew there was a reason why I hated reality tv shows. First Big Brother... now this? Somebody upstairs needs their head rearranged.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:24 PM   #4
osszie
Elven Warrior

Only America could condemn evil and then use it as a tool in the ratings war
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:25 PM   #5
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Hah. I knew there was a reason why I hated reality tv shows. First Big Brother... now this? Somebody upstairs needs their head rearranged.
I don't like reality shows for the same reason - they celebrate people backstabbing one another. There was one reality show that had come out - it involved team work and cooperation. Not surprisingly it didn't make it nor did it receive much media attention.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-18-2002, 08:36 PM   #6
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by osszie
Only America could condemn evil and then use it as a tool in the ratings war
Excuse me - but from what I've seen of other countries TV shows, this isn't limited to the US. And if the US is the first to do this particular type of show - it won't be long before England does something similar.

Anyway - this is show that is supposed to be about music being an outlet for prisoners. I just don't think they needed to have these prisoners on the show. Nor do I think that rapists and murders should be playing in a band - especially if they have life in prison with no parol. Why would we want to waste our money on the rehabilitation of someone that has no chance of entering society? It's American tax dollars that have bought those guitars and drums and everything. So anyone that is American - those instruments that they play our the American public's.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-18-2002 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:42 PM   #7
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Excuse me - but from what I've seen of other countries TV shows, this isn't limited to the US. And if the US is the first to do this particular type of show - it won't be long before England does something similar.

Anyway - this is show that is supposed to be about music being an outlet for prisoners. I just don't think they needed to have these prisoners on the show. Nor do I think that rapists and murders should be playing in a band - especially if they have life in prison with no parol. Why would we want to waste our money on the rehabilitation of someone that has no chance of entering society? It's American tax dollars that have bought those guitars and drums and everything. So anyone that is American - those instruments that they play our the American public's.
Very doubtful we tend to turn rape, murder etc into fictional drama's here................it's like watching paint dry

Why don't you contact you local politician regarding what is to be shown nationally on US TV..........even more importantly take up issues the penal system legislation with him/her it would be a lot more productive than whining about it on here
Old 10-18-2002, 08:51 PM   #8
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ick. That is sick. Good for you JD. Although I personaly woudn't have been so flamy to the people I still think you have very good points.

See, if I got your letter I would get mad and say 'well darn him! He can't do anything, I run this place and he can't insult me!'.

But then again I'm not a producer .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:56 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Very doubtful we tend to turn rape, murder etc into fictional drama's here................it's like watching paint dry
Do you read anything? It's NOT a fictional drama series based on rape, murder.

Quote:

Why don't you contact you local politician regarding what is to be shown nationally on US TV..........even more importantly take up issues the penal system legislation with him/her it would be a lot more productive than whining about it on here
I guess you never heard of the First Amendment in our Constitution.
The government should NOT be dictating what should be shown - especially since it's on cable. If they censor this - then they could censor anything else. True the government has the "no nudity/cursing" restrictions through the FCC - but that doesn't really apply to cable. The government CAN NOT restrict what is shown on TV based on content and that is as it should be.

And for your information - I'm not whining about it. I was trying to get other people's feelings about it and see what others thought. I will take it up with the people that do have control - which is VH1 and the cable companies.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-18-2002 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:04 PM   #10
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Do you read anything? It's NOT a fictional drama series based on rape, murder.

I gues you never heard of the First Amendment in our Constitution.
The government should NOT be dictating what should be shown - especially since it's on cable. If they censor this - then they could censor anything else. True the government has the "no nudity/cursing" restrictions through the FCC - but that doesn't really apply to cable. The government CAN NOT restrict what is shown on TV based on content and that is as it should be.

And for your information - I'm not whining about it. I was trying to get other people's feelings about it and see what others thought. I will take it up with the people that do have control - which is VH1 and the cable companies.
Yes I read ty ............ you said "it won't be long before England does something similar" and I responded "Very doubtful we tend to turn rape, murder etc into fictional dramas here.......it's like watching paint dry" (read it slowly if it helps).

If your government does not have the power to govern what is shown over the airwaves.......live with it ........ or better yet turn the TV off...........

Ok your not whining about it.....my mistake sorry. But you are playing right into VH1's hands by advertising it, albeit unwittingly
Old 10-18-2002, 09:06 PM   #11
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Yes I read ty ............ you said "it won't be long before England does something similar" and I responded "Very doubtful we tend to turn rape, murder etc into fictional dramas here.......it's like watching paint dry" (read it slowly if it helps).

If your government does not have the power to govern what is shown over the airwaves.......live with it ........ or better yet turn the TV off...........

Ok your not whining about it.....my mistake sorry. But you are playing right into VH1's hands by advertising it, albeit unwittingly
Ok, lets all chill for a sec. JD, in this case your the one who didn't read, but you obveously feel very strongly about this and oosy made that rude dig at america.

Ossy... If you don't have anything nice to say... Then find something. You don't have to get mad just because he did.

Last edited by Tessar : 10-18-2002 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:09 PM   #12
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
Ok, lets all chill for a sec. JD, in this case your the one who didn't read, but you obveously feel very strongly about this and oosy made that rude dig at america.

Ossy... If you don't have anything nice to say... Then find something. You don't have to get mad just because he did.
Tessar - if you're not carefull you're going to get into the middle a huge fight that you don't want to be in.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-18-2002, 09:14 PM   #13
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Tessar - if you're not carefull you're going to get into the middle a huge fight that you don't want to be in.
Good point... Me shut up now!!

Don't forget... Posting in the happy thread is good for you!!
Old 10-18-2002, 09:19 PM   #14
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Sorry JD but no fight from me..........media is the biggest influence on the western world........and I could care less what the American media judges suitable (or even favourable) for the people of America...........I'll not be commenting on this thread

But hey!................you guys have fun
Old 10-18-2002, 09:21 PM   #15
jerseydevil

Quote:
If you're saying "we tend" as in present tense - then yes I read it wrong and I'm sorry. I take it back - I guess your shows are already sick. If you mean "we'd tend" then it changes the meaning of the sentence completely.

Quote:

I am "living with it". But this is a public forum to discuss things. And I was interested in what others thought.
Quote:

I'm perfectly aware of the fact that when people demonstrate against something or burn books, that then the "taboo" becomes a hit because everyone needed to see what the fuss is about.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-18-2002 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:21 PM   #16
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*puts down his 'GO JD!!!' and 'GO OSSZIE!!!' signs and hids the meggaphone*

WHAT?!??! No fight?!
Old 10-18-2002, 09:22 PM   #17
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Personally, I dumped VH1 when they quit showing Ru Paul! I just loved him. Sometimes you have to turn a blind eye and let it pass.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:24 PM   #18
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:

WHAT?!??! No fight?!
Oh I'm sure there will be...........I just spend all day, every day in media studies...........no urge to do it in my spare time as well

next fight scheduled at a forum near you soon

Last edited by osszie : 10-18-2002 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:30 PM   #19
jerseydevil

Quote:

WHAT?!??! No fight?!
Just go read the Iraq thread if you want to see a fight. I'm sure there will be more to come.

And you know - for the several times that i stuck up for you I would EXPECT you to only be holding a "GO JD" sign.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-18-2002 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:54 PM   #20
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

JD, I was kidding. Yes, I thought you were right but I wasn't going to go and bad mouth Osszie because he was bad mouthing America. Where would that get me? No where. I love America but if he wants to be rude to us then thats his thing. It will be his fault when some american goes and beats the crud out of him.

And I appretiate you sticking up for me. I'm sorry I can't be as nice as you are because I am a little jerk.