Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-17-2002, 10:46 PM   #1
legodabmlas
Sapling

Good fantasy series or saga.

A really great saga of fantasy books in my opinion is the Riftwar Saga. It is written by Raymond E. Feist. The books in the series are Magician:Apprentice,Magician:Master(or sometimes one book Magician),Silverthorn,and a Darkness at Sethanon.These are the best of his.He has oter books with the same or related characters in them also.He also has other sagas whitch are pretty good too.These books have a good mixture of fighting and romance.It also has points that are just great story advancers.

Also for you Sci-Fi fans and Star Wars fans finding good novels aren't easy.Ones I recomend are the bounty hunter books.Also for the younger fans, the Star Wars Jedi Apprentice books are great.
legodabmlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 11:06 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

If I recall, Mr. Entmoot himself, bmilder is a Riftwar fan... back in the messageboard's olden (and I mean really olden) days, there was a whole section dedicated to Riftwar, but it didn't spur too much interest back then.

I myself have never read it.

As for Star Wars, I don't recommend touching the books at all, but some people such as yourself do seem to enjoy them...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 05:10 PM   #3
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

I found the Riftwar series strangely enaging, but they were stronger on narrative than being particularly well-written. I'd still give it another. How about the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant? After you get past the first book it gets better, and his (Stephen Donaldson's) book of short stories was pretty good too.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:24 PM   #4
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Re: Good fantasy series or saga.

Quote:
Originally posted by legodabmlas
A really great saga of fantasy books in my opinion is the Riftwar Saga. It is written by Raymond E. Feist. The books in the series are Magician:Apprentice,Magician:Master(or sometimes one book Magician),Silverthorn,and a Darkness at Sethanon.These are the best of his.He has oter books with the same or related characters in them also.He also has other sagas whitch are pretty good too.These books have a good mixture of fighting and romance.It also has points that are just great story advancers.

Also for you Sci-Fi fans and Star Wars fans finding good novels aren't easy.Ones I recomend are the bounty hunter books.Also for the younger fans, the Star Wars Jedi Apprentice books are great.
I prefer the han solo triology and I think that the forgetten realm books with Drizzt are the best
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:14 AM   #5
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Totally in agreement the Han Solo trilogy is fan dabi dozy!!!!! I also adore the new Robert Jorden Wheel of Time books- they're quite similar to LOTR but not quite as- don't know how to put it- its kind of a different sort of magic. Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:59 PM   #6
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I know what you mean, they're similar, but completely different.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote