Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2002, 03:46 PM   #1
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Language forming the Dunedain?

Adunaic was apparently a language heavily influenced by Elvish tongues and Khuzdul. Do you think this affected the qualities and character of the Dunedain as a people?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 12:18 AM   #2
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I Knew it was influenced by the former but I was unaware of the latter.

Perhaps but didn't they ( they Numenoreans) switch to Adunaic to distance themselves from the West.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 12:57 PM   #3
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I think Adunaic was the language that evolved in Hithlum, based on the orginal language of the Edain (which had khuzdul influence) and the Sindarin of the elves.
Old 10-06-2002, 04:19 PM   #4
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Some people believe that language and culture are strongly connected. That is discussion I am not really qualified the pursue, but it is appealing to me. And obviously Tolkien attributed a lot of the qualities of the Dunedain/Numenoreans to their ancestry and bloodlines. But still, to Tolkien words and language meant so much. Is it a coincidence that the Adunaic had such a history, in relation to how the people later evolved?

What I mean basically is, is it reasonable to trace back for example the marvellous skills in building and sailing to qualities and preferences mirrored in the language? Or was it mainly the mere contacts and business with Elves and Dwarves that influenced the Dunedain?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Old 10-06-2002, 06:57 PM   #5
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I think language reflects culture more then culture the language. Language is sort of the ultimate externalization of self certainly for Tolkien.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:09 AM   #6
Millane
The Dude

i dont thinkso i think well for the elvish anyway it wouldnt surprise me if lots of middle earth languages could be traced back to elvish they were the first and the best... and as for Khuzdul... well who wouldnt want to speak it??? i know i would.
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:55 PM   #7
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
I think language reflects culture more then culture the language. Language is sort of the ultimate externalization of self certainly for Tolkien.
For the former, generally I think I might agree with you. But is this true with Tolkien? He invented his stories from words and languages. And internally, language often is connected to creativity, albeit we mostly see it expressed as magic and not technology.