Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-01-2002, 08:08 PM   #1
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Best Movie Villains

The really good villains are the people you love to hate. What are your picks for the top movie villains of all time?

As for me, Darth Vader and Commodus, the emperor from Gladiator come to mind. Oh and Col. Tavington from The Patriot. I think he's my (least) favorite.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 08:20 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Does it just have to be movie villains? Cause you know my favourite villainess is from a scifi serial called Blake's 7....
Old 10-01-2002, 09:06 PM   #3
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Dennis Hopper (can't remember his character's name) in Blue Velvet

Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter? he plays a preacher/murderer with tattoos (spelling?) on his fingers "Children?...Children?..." as he walks down the stairs into the basement

geez -- can't remember any names of any thing or any one any more...but hopefully someone recognizes these films...
Old 10-01-2002, 09:15 PM   #4
katya
Elven Maiden

darth vader, and dr. evil. i love dr. evil.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
osszie
Elven Warrior

Kaiser Soshay (sp.) the best villain who never lived .........or did he?

2nd fav has to be the Cybermen (Dr who) makes the 'Borg (Star Trek) look tame, and unoriginal.............ok I'm talkin collective rather than individual here
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:59 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Okay, but it has to be Tomb of the Cybermen, or Tenth Planet. Bad costumes aside, they were geniunely scary! (The Tom Baker period ones were just... lame.)

DALEKS! EXTERMINATE! OBLITERATE! ANIHILATE!
Old 10-01-2002, 10:05 PM   #7
osszie
Elven Warrior

Deffo' Tenth Planet....... (ye gods another Dr Who fan in here, fancy a Jellybaby?...lol).....Tom Baker is THE Dr Who

yes well.........the Daleks were nothing if not direct ........but they were the first badguy to make me hide behind the setee
Old 10-01-2002, 10:35 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Tom Baker was a buck-toothed, curly haired... charlatan! Gimme Troughton any day of the week.

Seriously though: those creepy giant spiders from Planet of the Spiders (last Pertwee ep) were more evil than Tom Baker.

Anyway, since it appears that we're allowed to do serials, then my favourite love to hate villain would have to be Servalan from Blakes 7.

http://www.cultscreens.co.uk/picures/servalan.jpg
Old 10-01-2002, 10:44 PM   #9
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Tom Baker was a buck-toothed, curly haired... charlatan! Gimme Troughton any day of the week.
OMFGG............anyone who can walk beside a remote controlled biscuit tin, call it K-9 and talk to it has to be the ultimate Time Lord , seriously your fave Dr Who is probably the one you grew up with (ye gods I'm getting old).

Severlan...............geez this is the reason I don't like anyone who wears tight clothes and probably the reason that nobody trusts devious women not to mention Blakes inferiority complex lol

But the Liberator what a ship (digressing)
Old 10-01-2002, 10:54 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*Liberator*!!! ::drool::

I grew up with reruns of Pertwee and Baker. But then, when I revived my interest in all things Dr Who recently (my pride and joy is my Target novelisation collection ) I just leant towards Troughton. Troughton and Jamie's relationship was the best Dr/companion one there was, IMO.

Anyway, back on topic. Anyone else *really* hate Q from Star Trek TNG?
Old 10-02-2002, 06:00 AM   #11
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Anyway, back on topic. Anyone else *really* hate Q from Star Trek TNG?
Q was annoying, from what I remember, but I didn't really hate him.

I guess my best movie villain would be Darth Vader, I'm sure he must be the most popular movie villain of all. Oh and Ralph Fienes (I think I spelt that wrong) in Shindlers List. I can't remember his name, but he was horrible!
Old 10-02-2002, 04:48 PM   #12
glasses
Enting

My favorite villains were Darth Vader, Agent Smith, and Hannibal Lecter (though he wasn't a 'real' villain)
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! See this? *This* is my BOOMSTICK! It's a 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. YOU GOT THAT?

Our early attempts for a tractor beam went through several preparations. Preparations A through G were a complete failure. But now, ladies and gentlemen, we finally have a working tractor beam, which we shall call...Preparation H.
glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:14 PM   #13
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Darth Vader was a wimpy villain, he went good.

In all serious, however, my personal favourite screen villains would be Emperor Palpatine, Scorpius before he went good from Farscape , and the Borg. My personal favourite villain of all time, though, is from the Sherlock Holmes books-Prof. Moriarty.

Edit: I almost forgot- The Joker, the paranoid general from Dr. Strangelove, and Dr. Evil.

Last edited by webwizard333 : 10-06-2002 at 09:25 AM.
webwizard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:02 PM   #14
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

voldemort from harry potter (he's so cool, with his killing cuse and tortring curse) and commudus from gladiator. i really, really hate that guy.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:41 PM   #15
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by durin's bane
commudus from gladiator. i really, really hate that guy.
mmmmm...villains....i like him.

I hate villains who go good too. It defeats the point of being a villain.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 12:48 PM   #16
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Darth Vader is the greatest film villain of all time and all time yet to come. (No, don't even try to argue with me there.)

In general, I consider the greatest villains to be not only a complete match for our protagonist (or even more so) but also a character with depth and motive...

Col. Kurtz from Apocalypse Now comes to mind immediately. One of film's darkest and most disturbed characters, second only to...

HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey, arguably film's most thoroughly disturbed villain ever.

Ralph Fiennes' Amon Goeth in Schindler's List is not far behind... certainly among the most detestable of all time.

Rene Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark was probably the only villain in the Indiana Jones series who came off as Indy's equal.

The T-1000 from Terminator 2: Judgment Day isn't a particularly deep character, but in terms of relentless killing machines, he (it?) tops them all.

Lee Van Cleef's "Angel-Eyes" from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is the definitive Western villain in the black hat.

Lawrence Olivier's Crassus from Spartacus was quite a formidable villain himself... one clever and devious guy, to be sure.

For sheer Childhood Scars Factor, I'd have to include the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz.

Film noir has its devious scheming villains in all shapes and sizes, all very intelligent... so many to name, I won't bother.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 12:54 PM   #17
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

In no particular order:

Joker, Two-Face, The Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Clayface, Scarecrow, The Man-Bat, Egghead, nameless Gothamite thugs with ski-masks, etc, etc.

Also:

Scorpion, Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, Venom, Carnage, Kingpin, Hobgoblin, nameless New Yorkian thugs, etc, etc.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:29 PM   #18
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Hmm, I wonder what you're a fan of?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 09:49 PM   #19
Jadera
Elven Warrior

Alan Rickman as Severus Snape in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Very cool.

Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face

Jack Nickolson as the Joker

Hugo Weaving in the Matrix, don't remember his character's name.

And Dustin Hoffman in Hook.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 11:12 PM   #20
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

Can you call the "French Persons" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail villians? If so, they're up there on my list. Orcs are good villians. They're so perfectly hideous and detestable.

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote