Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2002, 03:38 AM   #1
Millane
The Dude

Cirdan

In the introduction to the movie when Galadriel is narrating you have a glimpse of the 3 elves with there rings. i recognise Gil-galad and Galadriel but is the other elf Cirdan??? He looks very old for an Elf.
ta
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:25 AM   #2
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Yes, the third elf is Cirdan from the Grey Havens. Later he gives his ring to Gandalf.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:48 AM   #3
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

He got cut out of the concil with Elrond and Isildur about destroying the ring, though.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:01 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

But he sent a representative - Galdor of the Havens. At least I assume he was from Cirdan. Cirdan was probably too busy overhauling keels and whatever to come himself.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:10 PM   #5
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

In the retelling of the story of Isildur the council of Elrond to Isildur occurs in Mt. Doom. In theSilmarillion it says that Cirdan was there as well (and fought as well, too). Can't seem to get away what with all these elves wanting to go west. Barnacles!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:14 AM   #6
Millane
The Dude

thanks for the confirmation guys and now one more question why did cirdan give Narya to gandalf to mind??? like was it before Cirdan went into battle or something?
ta
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:38 AM   #7
northsuperior
Hobbit

Cirdan gandlf and narya

some hepl with that one, from one steeped in the booklore of JRRT.

Cirdan gave it to gandalf upon Gandalfs arrival to middle earth from Valinor,.
"but cirdan form there first meeting at the grey havens divined in him the greatest spirit and the wisest; and he welcomed him in reverence , and gave to his keeping the third ring narya the red."

"for,' said he "great labours and perils lie before you, and lest your task prove too great and wearisome, take this ring for your aid and comfort. It was entrused to me only to keep secret," {( by gil-galad)}"and here upon the west-shores it has been idle; but i deem that in the days ere long to come it should be in nobler hands than mine, that may wield it for the kindling of all hearts to courage."

this excerpt can be found in unfinished tales " the istari" paragraph 5 &6
sorry for any typos......

and indeed he does use it, with theoden it seems especially. yet I wonder in the book when saruman imprisoned Gandalf in Orthanc why didnt he take it from him????
northsuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:07 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Maybe he couldn't see it - like Sam couldn't see Galadriel's ring, but Frodo could, because he was a ringbearer. Just a quick guess...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:14 PM   #9
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

Sarumann was quick tempered and was bent on the one ring, hence no body-cavity search of Gandalf because he never suspected him of having the One Ring. I think Gandalf kept it well concealed in mind and physically.