Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-28-2002, 11:26 PM   #1
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I'm a proud new mother!

....of 2 eggs!

At my school, eighth graders do what we call the egg baby project in Young Living class (you might know it as Home Ec), and well, it's that time of year! Yesterday my 2 girls were born: Aeryn Michele (named after you Aeryn! Because I think it's sooo beautiful like that)and Aimee Grace. They're adorable! Basically what we have to do is carry them around for about 5 days and do everything we would do with normal babies: rock them, play with them, change their diapers (kleenexes and tape), feed them, clothe them(barbie doll clothes) etc. and keep them safe and unharmed. So far mine are doing great! I just hope nobody kidnaps them I have heard that it's a popular prank during egg baby time....

So anyhoo, have any of you had to do this in the past? Advice would be welcome!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 12:03 AM   #2
Duddun
I Antha

No i haven't im in seventh grade and our school doesn't do it I don't think.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 12:07 AM   #3
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

wow that sounds really stupid. Luckily I have never taken home ec and any other silly elective like art. I take band (well, that is my elective and my only elective - it always has been. art would be stupid and i would get C's, computers would be waaay too easy for me, tech ed would not be fun for me, home ec - me cook? :P)

Home ec. here is called "Family Consumer Science" ha.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 12:17 AM   #4
Duddun
I Antha

My electives are band and Japanese, we don't have anything like home ec. Our choices are Japanese, French, Spanish, Band, TV productions, wood shop, Tech ed, and art. I play drums in our band, i wish i was in Jazz Band it's so much more fun you get to play the full drumset instead of just snare. What instrument do you play HOBBIT.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:08 AM   #5
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
What the hell is an elective???
Is it some kindof american thing?cos we certainly dont hav them here in England?

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:49 AM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I think electives are like option classes (as opposed to compulsory classes.) I know that we were allowed to choose a set number of classes per year to go with the compulsory ones.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:10 AM   #7
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Oh right that would make sense
I've just started my GCSE's and decided to try Japanese
It's soooooooo hard!!!I haven't a clue sometimes

Old 09-29-2002, 07:25 AM   #8
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

galadriel88

Good grief! I almost thought you had real live kids; and at your age!

Anyway, didn't you consider getting Tamagoche eggs instead? They're the battery-operated plastic eggs with digital creatures in 'em that you need to feed, tease, clean up when they poo, etc.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 09-29-2002 at 07:35 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 07:33 AM   #9
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Aw Arathorn i remember the craze of tamagotches. I had 2 and loved thaem both to bits until I dropped one in a puddle and smashed the other one when it wouldn't grow quick enough!!!!

Old 09-29-2002, 07:39 AM   #10
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Yeah, they take a lot of your time. Now there're PC based games that have something similar (artificial pets) like Black & White where you can have an animal totem who does things for you and learns from you depending on how you reward/punish him.

g88: Take care of those eggs... umm..yeah

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 07:43 AM   #11
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Eggs? you mean like bird eggs? Why do you dress them up for? I'm unsure how dressing up a chick in diapers and barbieclothes will enhance your maternal skills.

It's a funny idea, though.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:05 AM   #12
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Who cares if it helps you its just for fun!!!

Old 09-29-2002, 01:31 PM   #13
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Hee...they do that at my school, too. We call the class "Parenting." They make the students watch a childbirth on video before they give them the eggs. *yuck*
I've never taken the class or any other such classes. The electives I have this year are choir, anatomy, and Latin 3-4. All fun, and choir is easy. Except for the head Soprano whispering in our ears ALL block (90 minutes) " Watch the dynamics! Listen to the difference between piano and forte, sopranos! Be careful now, sopranos! Watch!"
It makes me want to be a 2nd soprano again,honestly. She's SO annoying. Oh well...have fun with your babies, G88!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 02:05 PM   #14
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Re: I'm a proud new mother!

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
....of 2 eggs!
Bah! You scared me!
Anyway, at my school, the home-ec classes have these cool computerized babies that can cry and be fed and things. Then the teacher can get information from the baby to see if the person treated it right.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 02:15 PM   #15
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Well Young Living isn't even an elective for us! All eighth graders have to take it - we have it first semster and Literature second semester. But it's fun. An easy class - no homework except the projects! We also have to cross stitch in this class; that's the other project everybody associates with Young Living. But we won't have that till we get to the chapter on taking care of your clothes and such.

Quote:
Anyway, didn't you consider getting Tamagoche eggs instead? They're the battery-operated plastic eggs with digital creatures in 'em that you need to feed, tease, clean up when they poo, etc.
Ah, I remeber those! I had the little dog one. But I haven't seen those for several years, and besides, it costs a lot less to buy 3 or 4 dozen eggs than to buy that many electronic toys. I've heard of other schools that have electronic baby dolls that can actually cry and stuff, but those are really expensive and our school is on a budget, so the eggs will have to do.

Quote:
Eggs? you mean like bird eggs? Why do you dress them up for? I'm unsure how dressing up a chick in diapers and barbieclothes will enhance your maternal skills.

It's a funny idea, though.
They're regular chicken eggs, and the idea is that they're fragile like babies, so you have to keep them safe and unharmed, just like a real baby. THe difference is that eggs can't cry in the middle of the night, or pee and poop,a or anything like that. So we just have to keep it with us at all times and take care of it like we would a normal baby, as realistic as possible. We have to change it every 3 hours, feed it often, clothe it, rock it, play with it, etc. We improvise. And it's supposed to show us that we are NOT ready to be parents! If you can't handle an egg for 5 days, you can't handle a baby for several years.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 03:09 PM   #16
Khadrane
Elf Lord

How do you dress and egg in barbie clothes???? Anyway, I'm glad we don't have to do anything like that at my school. I'd probably break it and flunk the class. But congrats on your "children" I guess...

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 03:49 PM   #17
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
They're regular chicken eggs, and the idea is that they're fragile like babies, so you have to keep them safe and unharmed, just like a real baby. THe difference is that eggs can't cry in the middle of the night, or pee and poop,a or anything like that. So we just have to keep it with us at all times and take care of it like we would a normal baby, as realistic as possible. We have to change it every 3 hours, feed it often, clothe it, rock it, play with it, etc. We improvise. And it's supposed to show us that we are NOT ready to be parents! If you can't handle an egg for 5 days, you can't handle a baby for several years.
*rolls over floor laughing* Um...sorry. I've seen such things in a few American TVshows but I never thought it was done in RL too. The mental image of a class full of teenagers pampering eggs is jus...well...a bit hilarious. Let's hope you don't have to hatch it like a mother hen too.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:15 PM   #18
Khadrane
Elf Lord

One question- Let's say one of the eggs breaks after school. Wouldn't it be pretty easy to just grab and egg out of the refridgerator and use that???

P.S. Earniel, the thought is pretty hilarious...

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:16 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

So, do "Daddies" get to play at this game too?
Old 09-29-2002, 07:28 PM   #20
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I was also required to take "Family Consumer Science" in junior high. It was stupid, but we never did the egg-baby thing. We didn't see the childbirth video until ninth-grade health, also a required class.

My high school offers WAY too many electives. Spanish, French, Art I and II, Sculpture, Drawinga nd Painting I and II, Computer classes, FCS classes, Band, choir...

This year my electives are Band, Choir, and Art...next year I'll probably take Photography. Whoo.