Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-27-2002, 08:33 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Phobias and other irrational anxieties

It comes to me almost a surprise that supposedly, public speaking is feared more than death... but maybe that's because I love doing it, and I actually do better with large audiences than I do in small groups. On the other hand, I'm the same guy who couldn't and wouldn't dance to save his life out of fear alone, until I started taking ballroom lessons about two weeks ago.

So, the topic at hand: phobias, and other irrational anxieties. What are yours?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:39 PM   #2
osszie
Elven Warrior

most certainly boredom..........to do/be doing nothing is too scary.........aside from that I'm not over keen on deep water (billy connely was right.........)
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:53 PM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Ooh, ooh! Rejection, in all shapes and sizes... that's a biggie. Not a recommended trait for prospective writers
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 09-27-2002, 09:17 PM   #4
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I hate public speaking. I also sometimes get freaked out at camp when I can't sleep at night.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:36 PM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hi Iron Parrot! I love public speaking (if I'm well prepared!) , of course I still get nervous, but I really enjoy getting up there and saying words of substance that are logical and make sense. I really like making eye contact with people when I'm speaking also! Gad, I HATE boring speakers!!! Just two days ago I sat thru a talk on orchids that put me to sleep AND made my butt go numb! Ouch, it still hurts! I also love to dance! I'm afraid of driving to places I've never been before, especially if the interstate is involved! I'm totally freaked over heights, I know some day I'm going to fall down some stairs. (and die probably) I really like spiders (as long as they are outside) hmmm, irrational....Stairs, steps, curbs, cliffs, .....

So why'd you start taking ballroom?

Oh yeah, not being able to fall asleep is horrendous! That's what started Elvis on the road to ruin! He couldn't fall asleep, so, sleeping pills, then uppers to wake up, and of course the famous aluminum foil on all the windows.

Last edited by Lizra : 09-27-2002 at 09:43 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 10:23 PM   #6
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Being shunned in any known way is really the only thing I can truly fear aside from unsettling dead corpses. The only reason I don't like public speaking is for fear of being shunned. Same goes for everything else. Screw rejection - it's when they find it stupid or funny that hurts.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 11:01 PM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"So why'd you start taking ballroom?"
Looong story. The short of it is that I took a girl to my high school graduation dinner and dance, and made it about as far as the dinner.

Old 09-28-2002, 12:05 AM   #8
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Public speaking and spiders, although I can generally keep them under control. Mostly I fear myself, I know that I'm the only person that can ever really hurt me, and that, if you think about it, is a frightening thought.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:21 AM   #9
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

What I fear... I fear about everything. Mostly I can't sleep at night. Put a CD on, though, and I'll be absolutely fine. Backround noise always seemed to help. My mother tells me that whenever I couldn't sleep when I was little, she'd take me on a short car ride. I was usually out like a light at the end.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 12:28 AM   #10
Duddun
I Antha

I hate public speaking, it terrifies me, everyone is looking at you and i always think atleast one person has to have not liked what I said. I also hate having to play like an instrument or something by myself in front of anyone.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 12:44 AM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Isn't this very similar to the fear thread?

No, I don't have any phobias, just the usual amount of fear.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:20 PM   #12
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Duddun
I hate public speaking, it terrifies me, everyone is looking at you and i always think atleast one person has to have not liked what I said. I also hate having to play like an instrument or something by myself in front of anyone.
Me too! I hate anything and everything where I have to get up and perform (especially by myself).

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 08:52 PM   #13
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I hate public speaking to i get all shaky, which is not good for someone who wants to be a lawyer...

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 11:02 PM   #14
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I don't like playing the violin in front of groups larger than 4 people, but I love dancing in front of people, and public speaking. I am terrified of the possibility of my house burning down, and I don't like crowds. I'm terribly anti-social, and I'm deathly afraid of the undead/ghosts.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 12:19 AM   #15
Catgirl
Elven Warrior

Well, my fears are bugs that fly, deep water, being the center of attention, and the dark.
Catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:18 AM   #16
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Etruscans usually drive me to homicidal rage.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:05 PM   #17
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

my biggest phobias would have to be public speaking and critizcism of anything that i write!
Goldberry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 01:05 AM   #18
Philia
Enting

Arachnaphobia. I could barely read about the ...big ones...in the Hobbit.
Nothing is as real as a dream. The world can change around you, but your dream will not. Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it. Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away. --Unknown

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant. --Robert Louis Stevenson

Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools. --Unknown

Love your enemies. It really pisses them off! --Unknown

Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age. --Jeanne Moreau, French Actress

We are never so helplessly unhappy as when we lose love. --Sigmund Freud
Philia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 06:56 PM   #19
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

SPIDERS!!!!! I can't stand them!! they are horrible and i can't go anywhere near them no matter what size they are the really, really big ones or the tiny ones!!!!
I'm getting freaked out now even talking about them

I don't particually like speaking in public either.
I love dancing though . I'm gonna be in a show aswell soon!!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 06:31 PM   #20
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

I don't like spiders. even the most poisonous spider in the world, granddaddy long legs, creep me out and they can't even do anything to me.and then there's heights and public speaking and really deep water. actually water doesn't have to be that deep i'm just afraid i'll drown on accident. and heights aren't that bad i just really don't like them. yesterday i took a ride in the thing on fire trucks that they use to get people out of high buildings with, i think they call it a cherry picker, anyway it went pretty high. there's other stuff i'm afraid of but that's the major stuff i guess. O yeah i almost forgot.....CLOWNS!! they creep me out and then some.