Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2002, 04:09 PM   #1
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Big Bad World

I have a dicussion-like question that I would like some good relevant information about.

If charged with a small thing like theft for products under $20 and only given probation, exactly how much (and in what ways) can this effect you as you go into schools, jobs, and etc.? I am currently bogged by this and would like to ease my mind a little from worry (if that's at all possible).
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 04:41 PM   #2
osszie
Elven Warrior

I suppose it depends where you live.

In the UK many criminal convictions do not have to be declared after a certain time period. Minor theft does not have to be declared on official forms after 5 years. During those 5 yrs it does have to be declared on job/college/university applications.

(sighs) and they wonder why a convicted criminal usually goes back to an unlawful way of life
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 05:03 PM   #3
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

It's juvenile. I think juvenile records work slightly different from then if you were charged with it as an adult.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:06 PM   #4
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
It's juvenile. I think juvenile records work slightly different from then if you were charged with it as an adult.
It does, here that conviction would not have to be declared after the age of 18. which would not help for school/college/first job unfortunatley.
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 05:46 PM   #5
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

According to my father (who has a large knowledge of law, but not because he likes it), here in the States all juvenile records do not have to mentioned, declared, revealed to anyone; they're sealed records. I just asked and he said you are not obligated to tell anyone, even if it's for a school or job, but they can (if they dig deep enough) find out. Can anyone clarify this perhaps?

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 09-26-2002 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:36 PM   #6
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Felony Juvenile records are open if you are tried as an adult. It would vary from state to state. It has been a while since I had my little problem, buit it sounds like no big deal. There are people your age killing people, after all.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 11:11 AM   #7
Duddun
I Antha

I don't know but I think your fathers right Rana.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 11:16 AM   #8
Sween
im quite stupid

and i thought you were such a nice girl. Its a shame you didnt do it before you were 16 because if americas like here they just let you off with a caution.

But if you do the crime you got to do the time let that be a lesson to you all if you do a crime make sure you dont get caught
Old 09-29-2002, 02:10 PM   #9
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Actually, I did do it before I was sixteen. But those evil people waited four months for me to turn sixteen that way they could attempt to charge me with a fine. Wal-mart people are greedy worms, I tell ya. Not only have they already pressed to court for restitution fees 6 times the amount for the products they got BACK - and get this: unharmed - but now they want to charge me with an even larger fine (which thanks to a counsellor will be overturned). Since neither one of my parents are working and have disability, you think they would show some pity, but no - they were willing to pull the money out of my dad's disability if they had to. Now tell me that isn't cruel for a first time offense of only $17 dollars.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 09-29-2002 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:47 PM   #10
Sween
im quite stupid

I liked wal mart when i come over from england. I mean the one in kisseme had its own mac donalds. we lost my mum and sister for over 2 hours in it though was quite good i was sick of the sight of my family after that holiday. 3 weeks sharing the same room with my family yuk i hated it.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:23 PM   #11
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I don't mean to sound preachy, but what and why did you steal anyway?
Old 09-29-2002, 08:49 PM   #12
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Thats ridiculous, stupid Wal-mart...

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 09:31 PM   #13
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I don't mean to sound preachy, but what and why did you steal anyway?
The pressures of society are large on my shoulders. Wait. Actually, I just didn't have the money for at the time, and that is pressure when you think about it. This day and age it's all about money. It'd be better if it were about sharing.

It wasn't anything that would mean something to the everyday person, which is why it shocks me that they make such a big deal of it.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:36 PM   #14
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

They're 'making an example of you', I'm sure. Sheesh, RE, you should know that you shouldn't listen to society. Evil lemming sheep....
Old 09-29-2002, 09:56 PM   #15
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
The pressures of society are large on my shoulders. Wait. Actually, I just didn't have the money for at the time, and that is pressure when you think about it. This day and age it's all about money. It'd be better if it were about sharing.

It wasn't anything that would mean something to the everyday person, which is why it shocks me that they make such a big deal of it.
Those pressures are only real if you let them be. I wouldn't put to much emphasis on this event either. If you keep your focus on your dreams them all the outside chatter will fade away. There is nothing you can buy or steal that will make you happy. Only by actualizing yourself will you find true happiness.

Now, if you will excuse me, I has to get back to my job of writing fortune cookies.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 09-29-2002 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:39 PM   #16
Duddun
I Antha

Man Wal-Mart's mean, I never shopped there before and I definately never will now.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 11:50 PM   #17
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Hurm...sorry to bust your bubble, but I'm sure most stores would have done the same.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:03 AM   #18
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Um why evil walmart? Stealing is wrong and against the law. They can't make special exceptions for you and not others. They don't care about your problems and why would they? Its a cruel world.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 12:05 AM   #19
Cirdan

Yes, but Wal-Mart is still pure, distilled evil.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-30-2002, 12:06 AM   #20
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Well, that may be true.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote