Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-20-2002, 06:16 PM   #1
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Hobbit Head teacher

I am reading The Hobbit in school right now, and my teacher who is a Hobbit Head (that's what she calls Tolkien lovers) is letting us do some really neet things with this book! On chapter one, we onley had a test, (that I made a 137 on, I love exstra credit!) but on chapter 2, we had a fast test, and then the teacher picked a few people to have a reading theater on the part with the troles. I was Gandalf, and we had most of the dwarves (the ones with the most parts) and Bilbo, and all three troles, plus ME!!! It was lots of fun, and the teacher notising how much we have ben anjoying The Hobbit asked if we would like to make a movie on it, and mostly everyone said yes, so that is in the thought prosses. We did chapter three today, and talked some more about the movie (it will just be a short all-class made movie, but fun) and will try out for some of the parts on tuesday, all of the parts that we have coverd so far.

Who should I be?
Any sugestions of how we could make this movie better cheaply?
And...
Who should I be, and in what seen? Whoever I am, it will only probally be in one seen, if lots of other people allso try out.

(Dose this belong in the movie section? I'm not sher)

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:25 PM   #2
katya
Elven Maiden

that sounds so incredibly awesome!!!!! i wish i went to your school! we just read stupid books like Shane. *shudder* you should try out to be whoever you want. i don't know you that well so i can't really say who you would be good at. but good luck! i can't think of any good suggestions though. sorry. hope it turns out awesome. i should make a hobbit movie. that sounds soooo fun. i dont think this would go in the movie section because it isnt lotr, its the hobbit.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 01:26 PM   #3
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Help! I'm stuck with a whole lot of old people at this wedding shower! Oh, back on topic...

Ya, I love my class this year! Maybe you'll read The Hobbit later. Of course no one no's me good enof to say who I would be good at, but I'f you think of someone that you think I would like to be then tell me. It would be cool to be Gollum, but allot of people are allready planning to try out for him, even though we haven't gotten to that part of the book yet.

FRODO LIVES!
Old 09-21-2002, 01:47 PM   #4
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008

Maybe you'll read The Hobbit later.
i am not holding my breath. but hey, you never know. i think it would be the most fun to be bilbo. bilbo is one of my favourite characters all around, and especially in the hobbit.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:16 PM   #5
entss89
lord of the ents

hey u know what i think u should be? well of course a smelly dwarf! well actally smaug i love that dragon!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:09 PM   #6
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

I'd wanna be Gandalf. Or, Bombur might be fun cuz of the size.

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:31 PM   #7
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

the hobbit for la? that's so cool! have lotsa fun! my school does boring, life's-tough, emtional books.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:02 PM   #8
Duddun
I Antha

You should be Bilbo or Fili they're both cool, can you turn invisible?
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 12:36 PM   #9
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
WOWIE I wish we did that!! It's our Drama teachers dream to do The Hobbit as a play, but alas, our budget won't allow it!! (stupid $ shortages ) anyways, You sound like a dwarf who can crack jokes.... maybe Bombur, or possibly you could play a merry little elf in Rivendell. have fun!!!!
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 01:18 PM   #10
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
You should try for Gollum. You know enough about his character an' everythin' to be able to put your all into it. But I think a dwarf would be fun, or maybe Gandalf though the voice is a little deep for a girl...which I take it you are by your sig. If I'm wrong I'm sorry...this happens alot here. But Gollum's alot of fun to do and because you have fun with him you forget you're infront of an audience or camera. Maybe you should try a spider or Thranduil or maybe bard...or that old raven...or an orc extra for the Battle of the Five Armies...or an elf. Yeah try to be an elf!
Cheers,
Sam the 1st
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:55 PM   #11
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by entss89
hey u know what i think u should be? well of course a smelly dwarf! well actally smaug i love that dragon!
I Don't think so Sarah!

Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Did you know that your picture is a E? I don't know how the camra groop is going to make so that a big person is small or a small person big, but the techer said that it was possible, I know that it is, but the schoole dosn't exsackly have a whole bunch of expensive equipment!

durin's bane
My techear picks books that she thinks that we will like, and then, if everyone likes it, then she dose a whole bunch of stuff with it. Our class voted on The Hobbit to be the next book to read!

Duddun
I can't turn invisable, but I got the One Ring off of a book mark, and it is the real one to! (okay, so I did read ROTK, so I know that it was distroud, but this ring really makes you invisable!)

Dolenloteiel
We are doing a fundraser like a car wash or something to earn money to pay for stuff like fabric, and our schoole already has an expensive camra (YAY!!!) So, it wont be that much money, plus the schoole also just got these new TV's that the anounsments will be done over, instead of the loud speaker, that will show, and speak into every room at one time, so if the class wonts to shear it with the schoole, we can do it that way!

samwise of the shire
Ya, I wont to be Gollum, but I'm afraid that I wont get the part, because lots of people are trying out for Gollum already, and I get nervis at tryouts, but I'll try. I wont to be a elf, I also wont to be a hobbit, dwarf, wizard, and just about everything in the book.

Everyone:
I am on the costume team for chapters 1 and 2. I tried out to be Gandalf, but a someone else got him. I am a girl, he is a boy, so his vouse was deeper then mine.
Any hints on how not to be nervise while trying out for a part, tryouts for other chapters will be soon, and I can still get Gandalf in those chapters.
Like I said, I am on the costume team, so is their any info. you can give me of how to make the costumes (chapter 1 and 2 only)? Also, fill free to give me some good discriptions for every costume in those chapters, then hopefully they will turn out good, no, not good, GREAT! I went though part of the the first chapter, and wrote down some discriptions, but hep there is still needed!

I WONT THIS TO BE A GREAT MOVIE, SO PLEASE HELP!!!

FRODO LIVES!
Old 10-05-2002, 11:06 PM   #12
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Here's a tip they gave us in Drama class. The stage fright you get is actually caused by Adrenaline rushing through your bloodstream. It makes you wary and aware of your surroundings and stuff. In other words it's preparing you to run in case you make a mistake. Use some of the extra energy to lighten your performance. Like with the role of Gollum... he has alot of emotions and stuff so you can use some of your energy to make his hisses and spittings more realistic and active. If you try out for Gollum or any other character just remember to try and channel that extra activity, and just go with it. A little fear before going to perform is good. It makes your character stand out.
An elf would be cool. If I did something other then Gollum I'd go for Thranduil because's he's so aloof and proud and those are fun emotions to play around with...and he gets to talk. But then the elvish butler who zones out with the wine would be fun too.
Break A Leg girl and remember use the adrenaline rush to your good...it helps.
Cheers,
The OTHER Sam
ps. Put your best into it and you'll forget where you are believe me.
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 10-06-2002, 08:02 PM   #13
katya
Elven Maiden

ok first of all take samwise of the shire's advice. also i dont know if this actually works but i am told bananas help with being nervous. there is this trick i know that i will try to explain. it is so stupid that it actually works:
take your index finger and point it up in the air. say "i am terrific". now remember you have to be serious and focus on the finger. then take the finger and point it to the side and say "i am tremendous". keep focusing on the finger. repeat. "i am terrific, i am tremendous. i am terrific, i am tremendous..." now if you are really good, you can do both fingers at the same time. "i am teriffic, i am tremendous" and aftere you have mastered that, you can alternate. one finger pointing up, one to the side. "i am terrific" switch, "i am tremendous". i swear it works. i learned it at camp before this concert where i had to play piano. i wasnt nervous at all. good luck!!!!! oh and say a prayer before you audition.

Last edited by katya : 10-06-2002 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:31 PM   #14
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Thanks both of you, I'll try to remember those tips, and of course I will send up a prayer to the father of all before aditioning. Oh, and can you explain that finger thing to me a little bit clearer Katya, I think I got it, but I'm not sher!

I'll also try to take some deep breaths, that always helps me! Any more tips?

I think that aditions are going to be right after lunch, so I'll bring about 5 bannans with me and see if it helps! Thanks alot, I am still practising Gollums vouse...my sister and mom looked at me really wierd while I was saying Nissse fisssssssssshes, yessss nisse fissshes, and so on today while eating goldfish! I was really funny! Then my sister called her friend and told them what I was doing, so soon all of her friends will know. I know that that part is not out of the Hobbit, but I was practicing it anyways, it was after all using Gollums voise.

Nisssssse fissshes, good fissshes (to Goldfish), Smeagle do as master askes nisly (to my moms reaquest) No, Sam dose not assk uss nisly, dose he my presssiose, no! (to my sister yelling at me to do something)...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 10-07-2002, 03:56 PM   #15
katya
Elven Maiden

ok no problem i will try to clarify a bit. you take your index figner and point it upwards with your hand facing to the left (or the right if you are left handed). say "I am terrific". then pull your finger in, then point it toward the left (again-right if you are left handed). say "I am tremendous". repeat. point the finger up, say "i am terrific" and then to the side, "I am tremendous". I know it's stupid, but you have to be totally serious about it. Focus on the finger. you are the finger. "i am terrific, i am tremendous". then you can do it with both hands at once. again, good luck!! enjoy the fish!
Old 10-07-2002, 09:15 PM   #16
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I am in charge of props in chapter one and two, I guess that you can say that I was drafted into it. It all happend because I bought Sting to class today, to see what the teacher said. I had bout Sting at the Doller Tree, but it did not come with a sheeth, so I had to make one of those. Every one saw them, and thought that they were great, and the teacher said "I thought of another needed group, props! So I will ask you again what group you would like to be in." Whene she said that the first group was props and asked who wanted to be in that group, every one started yelling "Jennifer should be in that group! Be in that group Jennifer!!!" (my name is Jennifer) so I had little chouse, be in that group, and everyone would be happy, or, be in the other group and every one would be mad. Since I wonted to be in both groups I picked props.

So, in conclusion, please give me ideas of things that I could do to make the props great, and mention some of the props that stood out to you in chapt. 1 and 2, and how I can make the props ( what with), and finally what I should use to write in elven on Sting, because I never wrote the elven runes on to it, and am not sher if pant will look good or not. And if you have any good pics. of Sting, then please sher them with me.
thanks!

oh ya, Katya, thanks for clearing it up, I understand now, and will try doing that!

FRODO LIVES!
Old 10-10-2002, 06:32 PM   #17
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Hmmmm. You could ask your drama department if you could borrow some of their props and costumes. That cuts alot from you hassiling yourself. Jewelry is eays to make out of aluminium, paint and cardboard. Swords are just bits of wood carved into the shape of a sword that´re painted white or covered in aluminium. You can make padded by wrapping padding around the blades of the wood swords and then stapling more aluminium or steel lookin´cloth to the padding.
Costume books in the library could cut alot out of your work. Sorry you couldn´t get Gollum. I tried out for Lucy in Dracula for my school play but a senior got it. Policy ya know. Do you go to High School Sam? High Schools have better drama departments then elementary or junior high schools.
Hope that helped
Cheers,
Sam
ps. If you need any help with props just PM me and I´ll get back to you.
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 10-13-2002, 11:41 AM   #18
entss89
lord of the ents

well if your a girl jennifer then maybe you should be a smelly girl dawarf! sounds like the real you!lol
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:47 PM   #19
Celebrian
Enting

We get to make some movies in school, but never in LA. Maybe i should suggest it, even though no-one would listen to me.
This will probably sound dumb, but you can make things out of duct tape? If you needed something metal, or something that looked like metal it would work, you could wrap it around swords to make them look metal or something. I have made LotR characters out of masking tape, and if you make it double sided you can make anything you need, Duct tape can't be that much harder to use, can it? Mybe you can make things in the background out of it if it looks really dumb, that way you won't spend lots of money on things that aren't seen much anyway?

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:41 PM   #20
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by entss89
well if your a girl jennifer then maybe you should be a smelly girl dawarf! sounds like the real you!lol
IF I AM A GIRL????? IF??? SARAH K., YOU KNOW ME!!!!!!!!!

Celebrian, he he, you just reminded me of a time in fith grade whene I was doing Odassy of the Mind, and we were all spending the night and working on our skits, and I made like all of these clothes out of duck tape!!!

HELLLLLLLLLLP!

My teacher is threatning to stop our class from making the movie! It was the resolt of over half of the class not passing the final test on the Hobbit. She said that if we did not think up an excuse on why we should do it even though half of the class falled the test! PLEASE HELP!!! I was so exsited about this!

I nead yet more help, but not on The Hobbit, but on FOTR class thingy! My teacher said that we could vote on what book we wonted to read, and the class voted to read FOTR, but, since a big porsion of the class dose not wont to read anything else in the fantacy gonre, (expessally anything writen by JRR Tolkien), the teacher changed her mind, but since we also have some obsessed Tolkien Hobbit Heads in out class, she is trying to work out a plan wher we could still read it.

Unforchently, we also have to read Lord of the Flys (the book that replaced FOTR). The book sounds good, but I was really looking forward to getting the classe's opinion on charicters like Tom Bombadil.

FRODO LIVES!

Last edited by samwiselvr2008 : 10-18-2002 at 07:55 PM.