Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-11-2002, 06:24 PM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

The sports debate thread

ive noticed that there is no thread dedicated to sport and debating about as i spend most of my time down the pub talking about this matter i felt i should bring it to the moot.

Any sport is welcome.

ill start tonight good win for leeds, Man U lost ha ha ha my team (west ham) lost to West Brom (west ******* Brom )

what do you all think of roy keane?

Anything sport relaterd can be talked about here
Old 09-12-2002, 08:44 AM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'll be happy to talk basketball when the NBA season starts! Go Pacers!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 09:00 AM   #3
Draken
Elf Lord

Well the NFP rugby league season is over for Gateshead Thunder thank goodness - Played 33, Won 0, Drawn 1, Lost 32. So thank God for the close season and a new owner who will hopefully turn things around.

And no, I DON'T want to talk about it!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:13 AM   #4
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Draken
Well the NFP rugby league season is over for Gateshead Thunder thank goodness - Played 33, Won 0, Drawn 1, Lost 32. So thank God for the close season and a new owner who will hopefully turn things around.

And no, I DON'T want to talk about it!
thats really poor.

Whens the basketball start? Are seattle any good these days i allways supported them
Old 09-12-2002, 10:33 AM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Let's see, that would be the Seattle Super Sonics???? Any old Pacers on that team?? I'm not sure when the season starts, in the fall sometime...Get ready boys!! Time to EARN THAT MONEY! (It's an outrageous sum of money, isn't it. )

I hate it when my team has a bad season, but that's ok, I love em anyway. Wonder what all those Chicago Bulls fans are doing now!!
Old 09-12-2002, 11:58 AM   #6
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Let's see, that would be the Seattle Super Sonics???? Any old Pacers on that team?? I'm not sure when the season starts, in the fall sometime...Get ready boys!! Time to EARN THAT MONEY! (It's an outrageous sum of money, isn't it. )

I hate it when my team has a bad season, but that's ok, I love em anyway. Wonder what all those Chicago Bulls fans are doing now!!
yeah that what i love about the structure of american sports with the daft its very hard to buy succes. teams can dominate for years then come unstuck and let others take over.

I mean i know the celtics had a better season the other year but where are they and where are houston now they had a decent couiple of years in the 90's the only ones that seem to keep any form of consitancy would be the old lakers but even they in the mid 90's had a lul.

is that micheal olwankani any good? hes a british lad.

whos faves to win it? ive kinda lost touch in the last few years i allways used to stay up all night to watch it.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:42 PM   #7
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Anyone wanna talk about rowing? Or dressage (horseback riding)?

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 06:31 AM   #8
Draken
Elf Lord

Don't know much about rowing, but they're pretty hot on it here at Durham. Each of the colleges has a rowing club, plus there's an amateur club for the city and Durham School has a team as well.

The river gets really busy during term time (and the riverside footpath with coaches cycling alongside shouting at the boats!). There are a couple of regattas each year and I sometimes take the kids, because the races are short sprints there are often some close finishes.

....or am I?
Old 09-13-2002, 11:49 PM   #9
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

An international rowing competition is held each year down the street from me at Mercer County Park and Princeton of course has a rowing team. Also many high schools in the area have rowing teams. It's not an extremely popular sport - but it is out here. It's more like a fringe sport I guess.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 12:05 AM   #10
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Well, I don't follow any sports but my high school football team one their first game 56-0 (last year the disvison champions are something). Today was also the first performance of the marching band. It went very well for the first game.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 08:07 AM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

And you march and play what Hobbit? Do you like the marching part? I'm going to a soccer game this morning. (my son!)
Old 09-14-2002, 09:48 AM   #12
Sween
im quite stupid

i love the way america builds other things round sport they get the band and the cheerleaders involved. All we ever do in england is get in a mini bus and have no support. ive played a lot of basket ball and for most matches we only ever got 4 people or something turn up. we allways got a good crowd when i was in lower school and we played (and allways beat) the sixth formers.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:27 PM   #13
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Most sports make me angry. But not showjumping! just watched *i think* the last class of the year at Spruce Meadows on tv. Very entertaining!

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:38 AM   #14
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I hate it when the same team wins the playoffs every year. It is so boring. I am sick already of the LA lakers. Shaq and Kobe and Mr. Zen, the coach, whatever his name is. Right now the NBA is lopsided with the west coast supposedly being so much better than the east. I hope this year is different, I like surprises and new stars. I think those last minute trades are exciting. I don't know Micheal Olwankani, but I don't know much!
Old 09-15-2002, 07:42 AM   #15
Sween
im quite stupid

it is boring when one team goes and dominates a sport. i mean here man united have bossed the leauge for years but there time seems to be fading with keane going more mad each day.

there quite healthy competetion on the premiership these days.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:13 AM   #16
Draken
Elf Lord

Sween, see the Aston Villa own goal last night? I laughed so much my wife came in to see what had happened. That was REALLY funny....

....or am I?
Old 09-17-2002, 12:01 PM   #17
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Sween, see the Aston Villa own goal last night? I laughed so much my wife came in to see what had happened. That was REALLY funny....
no i missed it i was otherwise engaged last night. i kept meaning to watch it again on sky today but my sisters home and she managed to get contol of the tv .

Her and my lass have been watching Uk Style all day and all the stupid chat shows and home and away

who scored it? what is this i heard about the pitch invasion? My cousins a Birmingham city fan so hes glad they did ok
Old 09-17-2002, 12:06 PM   #18
Draken
Elf Lord

Enckelman, the goalie. Throw in back to him from about 15 yards up the pitch, absolutely no Birmingham player anywhere near, and as he goes to trap it the ball bobbles a little, goes under his foot and rolls very slowly into the goal. Ref decided he must have got a touch on it and gives the goal (you can't score direct from a throw in, not even an own goal, so if he'd totally missed it, it would only have been a corner).

Class.

....or am I?
Old 09-18-2002, 05:27 AM   #19
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Enckelman, the goalie. Throw in back to him from about 15 yards up the pitch, absolutely no Birmingham player anywhere near, and as he goes to trap it the ball bobbles a little, goes under his foot and rolls very slowly into the goal. Ref decided he must have got a touch on it and gives the goal (you can't score direct from a throw in, not even an own goal, so if he'd totally missed it, it would only have been a corner).

Class.
finally saw it what a muppet. i loved all the fans comming on the pitch as well. thats was funny as slapping the players and when stauton saying it wasnt a goal the suporter going up to him and telling him it was
Old 09-20-2002, 06:37 PM   #20
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I'll be at Stamford Bridge next Saturday, to watch Chelsea vs. West Ham. This is my husbands idea, I know virtually nothing about those teams ,except that they're in Premier League, and they're probably playing better and more enjoyable football than any Norwegian team (save Rosenborg, perhaps). I'm not too interested in football, but I appreciate a good match, and it will probably be fun with all those people watching (more than 42,000 seats, wow! Am I from a small country or not)

Football is extremely popular here, at least among half of the population , but there has been a growing pool of girls teams as well lately. So what do you think of women playing football? Personally I think they have a long way to go before they are on equal level with men.