Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-07-2002, 11:01 AM   #1
Elvellon
Elf Lord

What would be like your version of the LotR?

Hey, I’m finally going to see the movie

Now, my questions;

Suppose you were given a shot at making a new film version of the LotR, you could correct every thing you think PJ did wrong, (or change things further) and you could select any actor at all for the cast. (you have unlimited funds)

What would you correct (or change) from the movie and the books?

Who would be in the cast in your version of the movie?

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 12:20 PM   #2
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

I think the cast was really good, i think i would have liked to see the old forest and tom bombadil, i also think they should have showed a shot of aragorn hoppin into bree

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 02:05 PM   #3
katya
Elven Maiden

there are a lot of things i would make more accurate and i would add some things. i dont know about tom bombadil. he's awesome but i would be afraid of doing it badly...maybe i should just get someone else to do it for me, using my ideas. i would make the characters cooler like they are in the books, esp. frodo and merry/pippin. they were good but merry/pippin were like, stupid. they had some good lines though that i would keep from p.j.s movie. i would skip the arwen ford crossing for sure. frodos too much of a sissy in the movie anyway and he should be able to get across on the horse (i forgot its name) by himself and refuse to go to mordor himself. i like the cast though and i thought elijah wood made a good frodo just like i pictured. um...that was kind of long, more later maybe
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 03:41 PM   #4
nazgul prince
Enting

Glamdring glowing.And narsil being reforged when its should be.Tom b. and goldberry.And the barrow wights.
nazgul prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 05:13 PM   #5
UnStashable
Enting

I would try to Redo the Scene explaining The War of the Last Alliance so that it shows Gil-Galad And Elendil. I might also Hold off on it till they get to Rivendell. Also I would try and make Elves seem more joyful and welcoming rather than ominous and brooding.
Old 09-07-2002, 06:16 PM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I would make the pointed ears smaller. Galadriel"s make her look bad, like Alfred E. Newman, or Dumbo. I'd put in the old forrest, the barrow downs, and Tom and Goldberry, just gloss over the Saruman thing. No Lurtz, just something quick and simple about Saruman looking in the palantir and getting warped and serving Sauron. More Aragorn in Bree is a great idea! Rivendell would be a jolly place, more like in The Hobbit, but the council and Bilbo's bday party I really liked. A little less Moria and Lothlorien could have been made a little less solemn and scary. ( the singing, fun loving elves). I might think of more!

Last edited by Lizra : 09-07-2002 at 08:15 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

The Rivendell thing did kind of bother me, because in the books (the hobbit especially) tolkien makes a big deal about how joyful the elves are, always singing and whatnot. But the only elf that really talkes in Rivendell (other than arwen and she doesnt count) is Elrond, and he always looked kind of pissed off! i could have done with some elvish singing!!

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:28 PM   #8
katya
Elven Maiden

i agree with the elf thing totally. elves are supposed to be more happy. i would try to make everything less dramatic-almost-to-the-point-of-cornyness and more...um, exciting when appropriate, naturally, and also more...noble and sublime. oh yeah and i would want to have nob in there in bree. i have shoes named nob and bob...
Old 09-08-2002, 10:21 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It was a time of war. I don't think merry making elves would have been entirely appropriate for the tone of the movie. Tolkien himself regretted the tra-la-la version of the elves.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:49 AM   #10
osszie
Elven Warrior

I would have cast Sean Bean as Aragorn, instead of the weak-chinned wonder PJ found.

I would also have made Frodo and Sam a lot closer (as they are in the books)..........although this may come about in later films

I would have definatley had Merry and Pippin more naive and innocent........as they should be.........rather than the stupid clowns PJ has turned them into......it makes me wonder if "The Scouring of the Shire" is going to be more like Bill and Ted take on the Hells Angels <shudders>

Lorien would have been as somber in atmosphere.......but it would have looked more beautiful.

As for the elfs.........ye gods.......when did Tolkiens description of "the fairest race" become confused with "the most feminine race" a beautiful (handsome) male elf should not IMO be effeminate as Haldir was portrayed in the movie
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 08:23 AM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There is no scouring of the shire.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:47 PM   #12
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
There is no scouring of the shire.

Then I guess that would make a lot of worries about character development redundant then

but for the want of several years film making experience and a muti million pound (dollar) budget I would go out and make a better version myself
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:43 PM   #13
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I think I'ds like to try LOTR from the point of view of a regular Gondorian or Rohirrim soldier. It would be interesting to see how they view the main characters where the story is from their POV. Or probably a different script where Gollum is the main character and how he trudges on with his drudgery of a life and perhaps with some circumstances of how and why things happened as read from the book.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 02:21 PM   #14
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Get another actor for Elrond, and change the whiney-brat attitude he has!!

What's with the conflicted Aragorn? He's not at all like that in the book - he knows what he has to do, has waited for the right time to carry it out, and does it! But Hollywood seems to need to change it so a man is a wimp until he has a good strong woman behind him (Aragorn: Oh, my ancestor really messed up, and now I'm afraid I'll mess up, too! Oh, I don't know what to do!! Arwen: Oh, honey, you can do it, I know you can - now just let me inject some more collagen in my lips then I'll give you a little kissy-poo and send you off!)

Also agree that the elves are a little too feminine, not like the macho guys in the Silmarillion. I thought Haldir was ok, but not the elves behind him - were they men or women?

Overall, though, I thought the movie was great (although I did miss Glorfindel, he's cool!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 03:27 PM   #15
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Originally posted by Arathorn
Or probably a different script where Gollum is the main character and how he trudges on with his drudgery of a life and perhaps with some circumstances of how and why things happened as read from the book.

Gollum! The main character! Excuse me while I go puke! Arathorn, that sounds so gross and boring, all that preciousing and hissing...ewwww!
Old 09-09-2002, 03:29 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Gollum! The main character! Excuse me while I go puke! Arathorn, that sounds so gross and boring, all that preciousing and hissing...ewwww!
I dunno, I'd rather like to see it. I have enormous sympathy for this character, and he's actually a very complex one.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:40 PM   #17
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I dunno, I'd rather like to see it. I have enormous sympathy for this character, and he's actually a very complex one.
Yes, he is - I really like that part in TT (The Stairs of Cirith Ungol chapter) where Gollum comes back to find Sam and Frodo asleep, and he cautiously touched Frodo, and "almost the touch was a caress" - he sees their goodness and it touches him and almost changes him.

Tolkien has a really interesting comment about that scene in one of his letters, I'll try to find it. *scurries off to grab "Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien", thanks C.T. for putting in good index* ah - letters 96 and 181 touch on this scene.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 03:55 PM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
ah - letters 96 and 181 touch on this scene.
Yes, it was actually Letters that made me more sympathetic to Smeagol. Before that, I only felt irritation, and mild sympathy for him; now I really do wish that things could have been different for him. I really believe that in the end, had he been given time, he would have done the right thing, and thrown himself into the chasm, with the ring.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:16 PM   #19
katya
Elven Maiden

yeah maybe...i kind of like him (smeagol/gollum) in a weird way but i think its mostly just sympathy. i really did feel bad for him especially after reading through certain things again and better understanding some of his intentions. its not like it is completley his fault (if at all) that he ended up like he did. but there is a thread for that i think and this is off topic by now. but the point is i wouldn't mind seeing a movie with gollum as the main character. i would love to see it. if it was done well and not completely stupid.
oh yeah now i remember what else. i would do the galadriel scene a lot differently. not such a freaky voice and colours.

oh yeah, this is my one hundred and eleventh post.

Last edited by katya : 09-09-2002 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:32 PM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I am sympathetic towards Gollum, I can certainly see your point there, He does say some good lines (What's taters? ) If you could tell his story without all the ssing, gurgling and slinking....and "my preciousss" after everything!