Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2002, 03:47 PM   #1
nazgul prince
Enting

Nazgul Glamdring,Orcrist and Sting

Alright i know they were fabled blades of gondolin.And they all glowed cold and bright when enemies were near.Plus they had polised blades,and were light as a feather.But were they UNBREAKABLE? Any thoughts.
nazgul prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 02:18 AM   #2
Nibs
Head Hollara

I don't think you could say that about anything in Middle-Earth.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 07:39 AM   #3
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Sure you could!

...the blade that is drawn from this sheath shall not be stained or broken even in defeat....
Galadriel to Aragorn.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
Nibs
Head Hollara

Second-hand information. No good here.

I need it straight from Eru.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 12:58 PM   #5
Blackheart
Elf Lord

The blade may be broken in victory however.

No, nothing in Arda is unbreakable.

Not the Dark Lord's will, or even Tom Bombadil.

As for the blades forged in Gondolin, they were not unbreakable. Sufficient application of force in the correct method will break anything.

They were very good examples of the craft however, as is only fitting for a sword forged for Turgon, king of Gondolin (Glamdring). Likely Orcrist and Sting were from the same household of the King, possibly used by his captain Ecthelion of the Fountain.

They weren't very likely to break with any kind of normal use, but then there might be situations where it would arise. A helpful idea might be something like the scene from Excalibur, where Arthur breaks the sword on Lancelot's armor, breaking his (Lancelot's) curse, but dooming his kingdom.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 10:55 PM   #6
Caleb
Hobbit

It is my personal belief that orcrist was the sword Ecthelion used to kill a Balrog.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:12 PM   #7
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleb
It is my personal belief that orcrist was the sword Ecthelion used to kill a Balrog.
It's possible, but there isn't any text to support it.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 09-23-2002, 01:18 PM   #8
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Jerks... of course they were... sort of...

Anduril was so unbreakable.
If it could not be stained "even in defeat" then of course it shouldn't have been breakable in victory.
I grant that Galadriel's words should not have been taken as a universal rule; if you dropped Anduril into Orodruin it would melt.

Quote:
They weren't very likely to break with any kind of normal use, but then there might be situations where it would arise.
I think that they wouldn't break under any kind of use (unbreakable) but could be broken by really intense force. Still I don't think anyone short of Melkor (he who arises in might, remember), Iluvatar of course or possibly another Valar could have broken them.

In other words, I think that Anduril was unbreakable (and so were Orcrist, Glamdring and Sting to some lesser extent) by normal use.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 06:34 PM   #9
nazgul prince
Enting

Nazgul

Thank beleg that's what i was trying to get at. A magical sword is useless if it can be broken.Though i do think the barrow blades could break.They were made of a lesser craft then the others.Kinda semi magical.In fact frodo's does if i remember correctly.
nazgul prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 04:27 PM   #10
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

It is illogical to think a blade is unbreakable. First of all the blade must be forged, therefore it must be malleable enough to work. If it is too hard it becomes brittle. And as for the magic, there is all kinds of magic spells and counter spells and various defensive magic. A blade that would withstand dragon's breath might not be resistant to the power of a Nazgul so it would depend on how the blade is used as well. The original arguement above still holds; nothing in ME is unbreakable.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 04:19 PM   #11
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Wait a minute. You aren't making any sense.

<I think that they wouldn't break under any kind of use (unbreakable) but could be broken by really intense force.>

That's just plain illogical. If it can be broken, then it isn't unbreakable.

Besides, it's the damned sheath bequeathing the power anyway! Not something inherant in the sword.

Old 10-01-2002, 12:16 AM   #12
Duddun
I Antha

I think they may be unbreakable but not undestroyable like the ring, which can not be broken but can be destroyed.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:44 AM   #13
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Destroyed=broken, you know... or is at least a definate subset of it.

Old 10-03-2002, 03:28 PM   #14
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

not exactly blackheart:
When you destroy something you don't have to break it too. like the ring - no one broke it but it had been destroyed. and for example you can't break a paper. I think Duddan is right.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:55 PM   #15
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
The blade may be broken in victory however.

That was its fate a Narsil, when Elendil mortally wouned Sauron and then brocke the sword. I would however catagozise Galadrial words not a a statement of fact or even a prophecy, but as an invocation and blessing.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:19 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

de·stroy Pronunciation Key (d-stroi)
v. de·stroyed, de·stroy·ing, de·stroys
v. tr.

1. To ruin completely; spoil: The ancient manuscripts were destroyed by fire.
2. To tear down or break up; demolish. See Synonyms at ruin.

Sounds the same to me.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:57 PM   #17
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

BoP, it's not the same because:
there are things you can destroy but can't break like: you can destroy a paper but you cannot break it. you can destroy the ring but cannot break it.
You can't break the ring because "break" is: To separate (into two pieces or more) because of strain, weight, etc.
when the ring had been destroyed, it didn't got separated into two pieces or more.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 06:37 PM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Okay, so you're definition of "to break" is to separate into more than one piece? Right, so you can tear paper up - that could be defined as "to break." You can shatter a sword into more than one piece. You can use heat to melt the gold down into more than one piece. And so on. I'm sorry, but I don't think that argument holds up. As to the One Ring, well, I'm assuming that it melted down, as Gandalf mentioned that ordinary fire couldn't melt it; only a dragon, none of which remained whose fires were hot enough, and Mt. Doom. You are BREAKING down the composition of the ring. You are BREAKING the spells of the ring.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 10-04-2002 at 06:38 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 01:06 PM   #19
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
BH I think that what Beleg is getting at is that a sword like Anduril or Orcrist or Glamdring or Sting cant break under any sort of use in battle, but if let's say Saruman wanted to Break Glamdring then he coudl apply enough force magical or physical to break it. Because Glamdring,Orcrist and Sting were made by the elves and that Anduril was reforged by the elves in Rivendell I think that those swords would have a longer life and a stronger sort of power to keep them from breaking faster then Narsil did. Of course Narsil cut off Saurons finger (that's something that REALLY bugs me. How in the HECK did Isildur sneak up on Sauron to cut off the ONE finger? I mean wouldn't Sauron like KNOW?) and the power from his being might be enough to snap a sword in half.
Umm going back to that Semi Magical sword of Frodo's, I have a question as to the Barrow swords. After Merry stabbed the witch king\head nazgul\black rider with his barrow sword then eyowen was able to finish him off. But when FRODO used HIS Barrow Sword on the same Black Rider then WHY didn't he loose his power? Or did it take a special combination of Barrow Sword semi magic and one unmagical sword to kill the Witch King? Or was he like Achilles...had to be stabbed in on special place to die? OR did the Nazgul kings magic just sort of weaken when he found out that the "Man" standing in front of him was really a woman? OR did the shock of being stabbed by another hobbit just make him supceptible to death?
But either way I have to agree that I think that the Barrow Swords are magical. Maybe because they've been steeped in Barrow Whight magic or maybe because the men who made them wove spells into them to make them withstand the ages.
Going back to that unlogical discussion. BH I think that ME doesn't have the same sort of Logic we here on Earth do. I mean the logic of Merry's sword stabbing the Nazgul king and then Eoywen being able to finish him off when a sword almost of the same make had stabbed the same Black Rider only a few months before without any obvious effect doesn't make any sense whatsoever here...but there it may have been the fact that Frodo was in the Nazguls world when he stabbed the Black Rider and so didn't hurt him. Who knows. It's ME logic which I find easier to understand then our own.
Just some thoughts from a very illogical hobbit lass,
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 01:14 PM   #20
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

There was some abiguity as to whether Frodo made contact in the dell on Weathertop. It may have been a bit of forshadowing to explain why the riders hesitated to finish the job. They probably knew that they could be destroyed by the non-man hobbit wielding a magic blade (int glowed red in the wraith world) so they waited for the morgul blade to do it's work.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote