Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-1999, 08:23 AM   #1
anduin

cult figure?

After the movies are released, and it has had a chance to sink in, who do you think will become the cult figure (i.e. Boba Fett) of the trilogy? Will they stand on their own merits from the book or will it be someone that PJ and his team single out and 'create'?
Old 10-31-1999, 01:02 PM   #2
anduin

Re: cult figure?

Come on guys, it's not that dumb of a question, is it?
Old 10-31-1999, 03:06 PM   #3
bmilder

No, but I don't think any of us were awake the first time around :P. Are you in some weird time zone or you're just a night owl? Boba Fett was enigmatic and "cool-looking." Who from the trilogy as we know it has those qualities? Well, Tom Bombadil is certainly enigmatic, but he's getting cut. Maybe it will be an Orc or an Ent, or even the Balrog. Perhaps even Gandalf will get "cult status." Interesting that you mention how PJ could "create" an existing character. For example, I think he's going to build on Arwen's character a lot and even send her into battle. Great topic btw .
Old 10-31-1999, 11:39 PM   #4
vlattimo

if they do him right I think the witch king is going to be one hell of a character, so it might be him
Old 11-01-1999, 04:35 AM   #5
anduin

I think if Ghan-buri-Ghan doesn't get axed, then the "Wild Man" could make cult status. Or perhaps Beregond, friend of Pippin and Captain of the White Company, Guard of Faramir. I love the scene where he is brought before Aragorn to be judged: "And the King said to Beregond: 'Beregond, by your sword blood was spilled in the Hallows, where that is forbidden. Also you left your post without leave of Lord or of Captain. For these things, of old, death was the penalty. Now therefore I must pronounce your doom.'" The first time I read that I was thinking, gee, give the guy a break, he did save Faramir!!
Old 11-02-1999, 02:34 PM   #6
Darth Tater

I like the idea of it being the witch king.
Old 11-05-1999, 07:47 AM   #7
Elrond

Or aragorn. I like that idea about the witch king too.
Old 11-05-1999, 12:47 PM   #8
anduin

Yeah, I guess Ghan-buri-Ghan and Beregond are a stretch. :P The witch-king will probably kick-a$$!!
Old 11-06-1999, 07:53 PM   #9
Darth Tater

I don't think Aragorn will be a cult figure, everyone will like him not just the cults.
Old 11-07-1999, 01:28 AM   #10
bmilder

Yeah, I now think the Witch King will be the "cult figure," since he'll be kind of enigmatic, and evil, and cool .
Old 03-19-2000, 01:41 AM   #11
Hernalt

Just thinking about the mechanics of Star Wars, I keep concluding that Boromir will become a cult hero. Sean Bean is 'cool', and Boromir was mighty and practical-minded, yet was not the sickly-sweet essense of virtue. No matter how we desire to identify with the virtuous, tireless Aragorn and his peers, most persons will sway to identity with Boromir - the man who failed, but managed to learn from his error before his test was concluded.

The Witchking will obviously fall to the standard adoration of teenage 'wizard' fanboys, as did Darth Maul, but I believe the thinking man's heart may have a softspot for Boromir. Let's hope that Warrior Arwen™ is given some insightful, provocatively *ELVEN* lines rather than cookiecutter Xenaisms.
Old 03-19-2000, 06:18 AM   #12
IronParrot

Re: ...

The Witch-King of Angmar - by a long shot. He/she/it doesn't show up much... but he/she/it is SO dark and menacing in the books!
Old 03-21-2000, 10:57 PM   #13
Darth Tater

Very well said hernalt.
Old 03-21-2000, 11:44 PM   #14
Hernalt

I'm always happy to be wrong. And I'm speaking of that which is beyond the obvious Darth Mall-ean marketing strategy of having the Witch-King's shimmeringly invisible mug and firey eyes looking at you from just about every future piece of LOTR merchandise. So the fandom of the Witchking will be of universal rather than of cult proportions.

And there *will* be merchandise, with a capitol M, thank you...

So yeah - WitchKing will take the tiger's share of adoration, but Darth Maul was a touch different phenomena than Boba Fett. Fett was a cool outsider with gadgets; Maul was evil incarnate with a purpose. There could have been no such merchandising in the 80'2 with Fett's mug - he was just this guy, you know? But Maul encapsulated all that was cool about Palpatine, the Emperor, Darth Vader, and a few other badguys - all for the price of one mugshot. We'll eventually have Aragorn Estrogen Brigades, Arwen Testosterone Brigades and a few other of the like.

The difference with Boromir and Fett was that Fett was built up to someone of heroic proportions by the time ROTJ was released, and then all we got was a burp from the Sarlaac guy. Who the hell was routing for this guy if that's all he accomplished??? I wasn't! But we know Boromir's going down - so maybe he won't garner a fanbase.

Wait!!! LEGOLAS!!!!
Old 03-22-2000, 09:33 AM   #15
Fat middle

Legolas can be a Wedge-ish cult figure, but if you´re thinking on the Fett´s archetype...

hey, The Mouth of Sauron is da man!
Old 03-22-2000, 06:45 PM   #16
Hernalt

Mouth of Sauron only had one big scene.

Hay FatMiddle - check out BOLT I pages 162-164. It talks about Melko's herald that he sent to Manwe & Co. to buy time for his escape. The herald's so full of himself it's hilarious!! And then Tulkas throws him off the cliff. hehe!

Nah.. not Mouth of Sauron. He's too unassuming.
Old 03-23-2000, 01:00 AM   #17
Darth Tater

I'd be willing to buy a model version of Ulmo's magic car
Old 03-24-2000, 05:05 AM   #18
Elanor

Why not Gimli? I have a feeling he's going to be pretty popular.