Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2002, 08:05 PM   #1
sracer
Hobbit

Lord of the Rings Stratego

Back when Bakshi's film was released, I took my Stratego boardgame and afixed stickers to the faces of the pieces and made a LOTR-themed Stratego game. (I also made one for Star Wars).

It was great to see that MB recently release an official Star Wars Episode 2-themed Stratego game and gave me the idea to revisit my LOTR set.

For the original set I made, I took those old supermarket price labels, trimmed them to fit the face of the pieces and drew-by-hand each of the pieces.

Now with PaintShop Pro, color inkjet, and sheet of labels, I'm sure that I can create a very professional looking set.

I'd like input from people about their opinions of what characters should appear on which pieces. When I have them completed, I'll make the final .gif/.jpg available for others who are interested in making their own.

Here's what I have so far:
PHP Code:
........Fellowship              Dark Forces

----------              -----------
Flag    Ring                    Destruction of the Ring
Bomb    Cave                    Cave
S       Gollum                  Grima Wormtongue
1       Gandalf                 Saruman
2       Elrond                  Balrog
3       Aragorn                 Nazgul 
(2)

Boromir
4       Theoden                 Nazgul 
(3)

Faramir
        Legolas
5       Gimli                   Nazgul 
(4)

Rider of Rohan (3)
6       Merry                   Shelob
        Pippin                  Uruk
-Hai (3)

Frodo
        Sam        
7       Elf 
(4)                 Wolf Riders (4)
8       Darf (5)                Troll (5)
9       Men of Gondor (8)       Orcs (8
(edit) I updated the Bomb pieces to be Caves. It kinda makes sense considering that I've assigned "8" (miners, in the original game) to Dwarves and Trolls. This way, any other piece would be "lost in the cave", but Dwarves and Trolls could "map the route" thereby removing the piece from play, which is consistent with the original Stratego rules.

(additional edit) Removed ents.

Last edited by sracer : 09-06-2002 at 02:22 PM.
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:35 PM   #2
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Did they even have bombs in ME? If not, I'd suggest a different one.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 10:35 PM   #3
Ben
Retired Ent

Cool idea. I thought I had started a thread about this a year or two ago, but I can't find it now. Oh well.

Don't you think having all the Nazgul is a tad excessive? It could get confusing, if one Nazgul is of a different rank than another.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 10:48 PM   #4
sracer
Hobbit

Hmmm, yeah I thought about that. I thought that it would be more interesting for Sauron's side if they could control all 9. (on the Stratego board itself, I labeled many squares with Middle-Earth locations in their relative position to each other).

As for the differing values, I figured that some would be more powerful than others.

It's difficult to assign pieces so that it all makes sense. That's why I'm hoping to get some discussions going on this. As it is now, I have no provision for the Eagles. Nor Tom Bombadil, but let's not go there.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:32 PM   #5
sracer
Hobbit

Here's a preview of some of the pieces...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lotr-stratego-preview.jpg (6.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-06-2002, 02:13 PM   #6
sracer
Hobbit

I know that there isn't much interest in this, but for the sake of completion I wanted to post a pic of the final product....

http://pages.prodigy.net/tcperconti/lotr-stratego.jpg
Complete set with customized pieces and board

http://pages.prodigy.net/tcperconti/...go-closeup.jpg
Closeup of some of the Fellowship pieces
Old 09-15-2002, 03:45 PM   #7
Gilrond
Enting

Cool!

My brothers and I did something like that. We drew a map of Middle-Earth, water-painted it, and used the rules and pieces from the Parker Bros. Risk Boardgame for a sort of conquest game. You could be either Elves, Dwarves, Men or the Dark Forces, and we modified the rules to make it somewhat cooler: general per army, boats down the Anduin, rogue orcs in the Misty Mountains and derelict spaces, etc, etc.

It was okay.
Gilrond is offline   Reply With Quote