Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2002, 07:25 PM   #1
Gildor
Hobbit

Mark Eddy Smith's Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues

A couple of months ago I bought a little book called Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues. It reviews LOTR using a stairway approach with virtues as the steps, following the storyline, revealing values and relating them to Biblical ones.

I read it quickly and thoroughly enjoyed it. Has anyone else read it?

Last edited by Gildor : 08-25-2002 at 09:19 AM.
Gildor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 02:54 AM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I have not, but I wanted to inquire. What is a "stairwell" approach?
Old 08-25-2002, 09:25 AM   #3
Gildor
Hobbit

Correction

Sorry. It was a spoonerism typed in haste. (With two teenagers in this family, my computer time is always rushed) I've fixed it now. (My husband said since we live in Oklahoma I should have called it a Soonerism.) I would emote, but I've forgotten how to program it. Imagine a smilie face.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:20 PM   #4
Telperion
Enting

Re: Correction

I would also like to know what a soonerism? spoonerism is. It sounds wierd I have never heard of the book but it sounds interesting.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 12:51 AM   #5
Gildor
Hobbit

spoonerisms

A spoonerism is substituting one word for another or one phrase for another because you aren't really thinking...just typing quickly. Your mind reads it right, but it is a glaring error...usually obvious to anyone else who reads it. It can be a word, like substituting moonshine for moonlight...or (in sayings) "bright as a new nickle" or "a house of a different color". Twisted cliches work: like "a switch in time makes children polite" or "what goes up must .... make investors happy."
Any way, you get the idea. The University of Oklahoma has a team called the "sooners", and, in the States, people from Oklahoma are often called Sooners. (It has to do with Oklahoma history.) So a "soonerism" would be a spoonerism inflicted upon the world by a person from Oklahoma. Sometimes, we just can't help it. Sorry for all the confusion.