Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
Nilvasaien
Hobbit

Who's the real hero of "Lord of the Rings"?

Having participated in discussions on this topic on another community, I was wondering who you consider to be the real hero of "Lord of the Rings".
Old 08-22-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
entss89
lord of the ents

Nazgul hi

its pippin!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:04 PM   #3
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I suppose it would be Aragorn, in terms of heroics.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:12 PM   #4
entss89
lord of the ents

Tom Bombadil oh

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no its MARRY
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:13 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Either Sam or Gandalf, depending on which POV you want to go with. Without Sam, the ring probably would never have made it to Mt. Doom. But then Gandalf's sole mission in ME was to defeat Sauron, and in terms of guidance, and heroics, Gandalf is definately da man!
Old 08-22-2002, 06:38 PM   #6
Sween
im quite stupid

They are all pretty much Heros. In order i would have to put them Sam (without him the ring would never ever of been destroyed) Frodo (lets not underestimate the difficulty in bearing the ring) Gandalf (as it says at many points in the book without him all would of been los long ago) Aragorn then Ewoyn then Theoden then Treebeard.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:29 PM   #7
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

There's a certain "Zen" to that question - who is the hero of any heroic story?

Have come across different facets of this question before (mainly in terms of who the main character is), and there are good points to be made for several of them, but right now it seems to me that Frodo is the story's hero -- he accepted the impossible mission and failed at the bitter end (there's a good discussion of this at The Scrolls Of Orthanc at http://www.users.cts.com/king/e/erik...en/tolkien.htm (hope that URL still works -- I haven't been there very recently).

And yet the mission was accomplished.

There's a certain bitter comfort in knowing that one's mission is impossible and then failing at it -- it's all part of what you expect. But what do you do when it succeeds in spite of yourself? To be hailed as Frodo was on the Field of Cormallen and eventually throughout Middle-earth, and yet to know deep down that you failed. . . how awful once the initial joy and relief faded. No wonder the lesser traumas Frodo had experienced on the way still affected him as he got closer and closer to home -- he still hadn't finished his quest, deep down inside. One assumes that he eventually did, though, in Valinor.

Kind of brings meaning to Sam's comment early on, "Ah, but where will they live?" All those who wanted them found homes and a life at the end, except Frodo. That's why he's the hero.
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:42 PM   #8
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

I think Aragorn, Gandalf, and Sam were pretty much the most hard worked and heroic. As well Frodo and Eomir
Old 08-23-2002, 04:31 AM   #9
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of Ithilien
but right now it seems to me that Frodo is the story's hero -- he accepted the impossible mission and failed at the bitter end
Frodo is also my hero. Even if he chose not to destroy the Ring in the end, I would not call his quest a failure. He withstood the power of the Ring for a long time, longer than anyone else would have done.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:30 PM   #10
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Gollum.

Without him - doom would have fell upon us all.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 08:05 PM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Hardly makes him a hero, in my book. It was by mercy and pity that the job was done, for by mercy and pity Sméagol lived on and was allowed to take the Ring one last time. But Sméagol didn't try to destroy the Ring. He lost his footing and fell into the Fire.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:24 AM   #12
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I think that Sam was the hero because he helped Frodo through all of his struggles and trials. He never left him, and he was prepared to go by himself when he thought Frodo was dead. Sam definately.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 12:45 AM   #13
hama1
Elven Warrior

Actually I think it was a little known character named Bob, an agraphobic ferret, who is of course only fleetingly referred to in Appendix Q of the 11th chapter of Christopher Tolkien's Lost Cat Tails and then again in a written request for a refund from a chinese laundry included in a now out of print version of "Tolkien's Letters".
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 12:47 AM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
But Sméagol didn't try to destroy the Ring. He lost his footing and fell into the Fire.
Yes, but Tolkien said himself that had Sméagol the time to reflect, he might have come to the realisation of destroying the ring himself. The nazgul would have been a small problem though.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:59 AM   #15
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I think Sam is the real hero - even Tolkien is with me on that one (he says that is the Letters). He was an ordinary Hobbit who helped achieve a task the great ones couldn't.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:43 AM   #16
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
Sam and Frodo for me. Frodo did all he could by carrying the Ring, and Sam urged him along, was always there for him, and even carried him up to Mt. Doom when Frodo was too weak to walk. I can't really say that one is more heroic than the other, because they did different things.
Also, if it weren't for Gandalf, nothing at all would have been accomplished! He convinced Bilbo to pass the Ring on, found out that it WAS the One Ring, then lead the whole group as far as Moria; due to circumstances beyond his control, he then took a break ,and Aragorn took temporary charge.

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 05:21 PM   #17
Urksnik the Sleek
Hobbit

My problem here is that LoTR is such an ensemble piece, that I find it hard to pick just ONE!

Frodo and Sam, certainly had the most epic task, and both had a lot at risk. Frodo being the tragic hero, who does not benefit from his heroism, but without the support of Sam, he would have failed in his task. There is also the fact that, without the other characters actions elsewhere in the story, they would probably have failed anyway

Aragorn is a traditional type hero, all action and honour. He is also the one who gains the most from success.

Without Gandalf, nothing would have happened in the first place.

Even the younger hobbit and the rest of the Fellowship do such sterling work to ensure the success of the quest.

So I'm going to wimp out here and not pick any one person in particular.
Urksnik the Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 05:55 PM   #18
osszie
Elven Warrior

for me personally......it has to be Theoden, even tho' he had little to do with the actual ring........his valour and honour (once restored) are remarkable for someone who had seemed so old, frail and doubtful...........a brilliant character .......only death was the future for theoden on the road he chose..yet he chose it!
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 06:29 PM   #19
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Yes, but Tolkien said himself that had Sméagol the time to reflect, he might have come to the realisation of destroying the ring himself. The nazgul would have been a small problem though.
What I remember is an alternate ending Tolkien set out, had Sam Gamgee shown mercy sooner. In this I believe Tolkien said that Gollum would have journeyed with the Hobbits through Mordor to Mount Doom, and then would have taken the Ring from Frodo and leaped into the Fire, both to save Frodo and finish the quest and to get the Ring again. But the fact remains that this did not happen and I don't think Gollum can be called a "hero", much less "the real hero".
Old 08-24-2002, 06:33 PM   #20
Sween
im quite stupid

So if i slip over when trying to steal a ring and fall into a volcano i can be a hero 2? sorry aint seeing ur reasoing. Gollum is an unfortinate person who i have pity for but hero no