Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2002, 07:17 AM   #1
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Do you "know" the people you talk to on the internet?

AE told me we don't really "know" each other. I think I know him somewhat, and he knows me a little too. Heck, I thought we were "friends" ! . Assuming they're telling the truth, (truth has to be the basis of any relationship), do you feel like you "know" some of the people you communicate with on the internet?
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 07:40 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I thought so, but it turns out I'm not that great a judge of character. With some people, I thought I could second-guess their motivations, but then I thought about how much I give out to people, and how much I don't, and then I sorta came to the conclusion that I probably don't know them half as well as I thought I did, because they were probably keeping stuff to themselves as well. Nothing sinister of course (well, I hope not), but just little things that drive us - they're probably not things that we'd normally broadcast to other people online, even via email or PM.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:52 AM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, If I were to meet you on the street BoP, we'd have lot's to talk about, questions to ask, feelings to exchange, etc. I could/would never do this with a stranger, so I know you (casually of course). A woman was telling me last week of the problems her daughter's fiance was having getting a visa to come to the US from Australia, besides the new restrictions, an official told her that 80% of the applications they recieve nowdays are from people that are meeting on the internet. I guess it's happening to some extent!
Old 08-20-2002, 10:45 AM   #4
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

NOPE. Not in the biblical or the everyday sense.

Cyber friends are an entirely different category no matter how long or what you think you know. Heck, it could be a Warg you're talking too!
Old 08-20-2002, 11:05 AM   #5
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Heck, it could be a Warg you're talking too!
Or a Ninja!

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 11:40 AM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I guess I'm too "for real"! I'll try to be more skeptical.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:18 PM   #7
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

Well I either know them as in met them, lets say if they were relatives or friends form school. But if they were people that I just met on-line then i would only know their ideas.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:26 PM   #8
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Do you "know" the people you talk to on the internet?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
AE told me we don't really "know" each other. I think I know him somewhat, and he knows me a little too. Heck, I thought we were "friends" ! .
IMO, being friends and not know each other all too well is not contradictory.
Quote:
Assuming they're telling the truth, (truth has to be the basis of any relationship), do you feel like you "know" some of the people you communicate with on the internet?
I feel I know their internet personality, which could be entirely different from their 'real-life' personality.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:53 PM   #9
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Quote:
I feel I know their internet personality, which could be entirely different from their 'real-life' personality.
Same here! If I was walking down the street and saw any of you, I probably wouldn't even know it WAS any of you.
I don't know anyone here enough to tell any of my real personal problems to. I do know people well enough to be nice to them and talkabout not extra-extra-personal stuff. That's about it,really.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 02:06 PM   #10
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

*ahem*

*steps up onto small stage*

"I don't know half of you half as well as i should like; and i like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

i think that pretty much sums up what i think
Old 08-20-2002, 04:45 PM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Some of them...
Old 08-20-2002, 04:51 PM   #12
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I know whatever you guys tell me.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 05:49 PM   #13
Sween
im quite stupid

Intresting question. This kinda relates to an earlier thread about do people lie on the net. Ill admit i do talk top some people on this that i have never met. How well do we know them not well, but i do find you can have a good convo with them.

One of the main parts of knowing someone in my opinion is observing them. you cannot do this on the net. how they interact with you and others.

i think ive a fair grasp of some of the people i talk to on the nets likes and dislikes and if they are moody etc. But is there ever a subsitute for getting to know someone in real life? No.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:11 PM   #14
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hmmm, do any of you spend time thinking about the people you've typed to on the internet? I feel that if I've had communications with someone for period of over a month or so, and they've told me things about themselves (once again, assuming they tell the truth) and I've done the same, and they are in my mind sometimes, that is knowing them casually, even though I've never seen them. Sween, I can't understand why you'd "pose" as a woman in a chat room. Don't you have something better to do?
Old 08-20-2002, 08:30 PM   #15
Ben
Retired Ent

Well I actually do "know" some Entmooters. I've met a bunch of you in real life, either in individual meetings or in the Entmoot 2001 "convention." In most cases this was after many months of internet chatting, so I felt that I did really know the people. It turns out they were who they said they were. I've met:

HOBBIT and gdl96 (obviously)
Darth Tater & family
anduin & husband
Nolendil & family
IronParrot & family
jerseydevil

Luckily there were no axe murderers in the bunch. When I met with Tater, IP, and Nolendil, all teens, we met with our entire families, so there was no real danger of abduction or any of that other awful stuff you hear about from internet meetings.

Until you meet the person in real life, I think it's difficult to be absolutely sure you know the person.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 08:36 PM   #16
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Oh yeah. I'm 50 year old pedophile.

Hmmm ... I don't even think I spelt that right.

Well, I'm more shy and reserved in real life, but that's just because it's easier to be yourself online. I tell more truth online that I would in real life I guess. Like for instance, if I had met BoP, AE, Arathorn, or Cirdan in real life, I'd be calling them "ma'am" and "sir" and crap like that because of the age thing. But on here it's just everyone's equal. I like that.

I don't know if I can say I truly know them. I just know whatever they tell me.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 08:48 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm not old!

And it's paedophile. :::shifty look:::

Oh, and JD IS an axe murderer -- he told me.

Edit: No it isn't. YES! I don't know how to spell pedophile!!

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-20-2002 at 08:50 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 08:58 PM   #18
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
My speech is a bit more eloquent online, because I prefer writing to speaking. I've told online friends things I'd never tell my 'real' friends (though some of it I wish I had kept secret).

I probably come off as a little bit more confident online than I really am, and after I met someone I'd known only online it would take awhile for me to be like I am online.

I thought it was pedophile...
Old 08-20-2002, 09:19 PM   #19
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

*glares suspiciously about room*

Naw, I trust most of you. I'd never agree to meet any of you in a dark alley, but it'd probably be hard to hide all of your personality to a person you've know for the better part of a year, even if it is only online. One of my best friends only knows her boyfriend through a message board. *shrug*
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:26 PM   #20
Elvet
Elven Warrior

When I post on forums, I don't really feel like I'm conversing. Most of the time I'm just responding to a comment. Many of you do converse back and forth regarding a topic. Through these 'conversations', I can get a glimpse of what you might be like - your sense of humor, maturity level, age, tolerance, education, etc. A few of you - BoP, Pailin, A-E - seem to make more of an impression on me than others.
Lizra is an exception, I consider her my friend. We've been E-mailing and snail mailing for a while now.