Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-23-2000, 04:17 PM   #1
antokin

prequel

Quote:
Now that lotr is a movie will we get to see Morgoth, the Silmarils and Feanor who made them from the light of Valinor. Will we get to see the creation of Middle Earth???

The Silmarillion will be to good to be true.:rollin:
check out MaRS a place for sci fi fans
pub10.ezboard.com/bmars57748
Old 05-23-2000, 06:41 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: prequel

Well, if you're asking if The Silmarillion will be filmed after LotR, I really doubt it. There is just too much information and so many different stories. Plus, it covers thousands of years. Who would be the main characters? If LotR does well, I suspect they may come out with a Hobbit movie, but the Silmarillion is better suited for a miniseries, imo.
Old 05-23-2000, 11:45 PM   #3
Blazez

Hmmm...

I rather doubt we'll see the Simirilian as well. I have to admit that although I bought it years ago, I've yet to tackle it. However, something of the Silmarillion may be grazed over in the Lord of the Rings movie.

As for the Hobbit, the problem is that it's more of a kids story and may have a hard time relating itself directly to the LOTR because of its simplerness. Another problem is that Ian holm would be too old to play bilbo at that time, and even Sir Ian may be unable or willing. We are talking some 5 years hence here, and I would hate to see the actors totally changed on a whim. That's not to say that I wouldn't like to see it done though. It would be cool if they showed the attack on the 'Necromancer' in Mirkwood too, but that could confuse the story. Actually, I'm not to sure if Tolkien ever actually wrote extensivly on the subject (if not, forget it).
Old 05-24-2000, 12:36 AM   #4
bmilder

Re: Hmmm...

Well, of course they'd have to get younger actors for The Hobbit, but I guess that would be a little odd.
Old 05-24-2000, 02:07 AM   #5
anduin

Or they could just use different actors. It's not like the actors that are in LOTR are going to be the last actors to ever play these roles. I would be content if they made either The Hobbit or The Sil, even if it is 10 years from now.
Old 05-24-2000, 10:39 PM   #6
Darth Tater

I'm sure we won't see the Sil unless it's a miniseries as ben says, and those suck.