Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2002, 07:42 PM   #1
Sanna
Hobbit

The Grey Havens

I just finished reading Lord of the Rings, and it has left me with a question on my mind.

It is said that the wizards came forth from the west, a place called Grey Havens, in order to help man defeat Sauron. In the end, Gandolf returns to the Grey Havens with Frodo, Bilbo, the Lady, Elrond, and later Sam goes as well. Is traveling to the Grey Havens the only way that they can die? Frodo goes because he is sick, Bilbo goes because he is so old, when Sam finally goes it is because he is old and dying. Yet other hobbits, such as Merry, remain and die on Middle Earth.

Or when they go to the Grey Havens, do they go somewhere else where they can live forever? Is that a gift to Frodo, Sam, and Bilbo for bearing the ring? Or is it a place like a heaven, and so Gandolf was sent from a god or gods to help the men?

Also, why did the other Elves remain if it was the beginning of the 4th age, age of man, and end of middle earth? Someone help me straighten this out please!

Sanna
Sanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 08:55 PM   #2
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

Actually, I think that the Grey Havens and the Undying Lands are 2 different places. Frodo, Bilbo, and Sam went because they bore the Ring. Gandalf is one of the Maiar, so he was kind of sent from the Valar. I'm not sure about the plural and singular of Maia and Vala or whatever. Some elves stayed for the beginning of the 4th age but eventually went to the Undying Lands, like Legolas. I guess the ones that stayed in Middle-Earth, like Arwen, eventually became mortal and died.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 10:31 PM   #3
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Liviaine
I guess the ones that stayed in Middle-Earth, like Arwen, eventually became mortal and died.
Arwen only became mortal because of her love for Aragorn, a mortal. The other elves, assuming they did not fall in love with mortals, would simply live in Middle Earth until the end, go back to the West, or, in some cases, die from grief.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:00 AM   #4
Sanna
Hobbit

So then...

What will happen to them in Grey Havens? Will they die?

Thanks to those who responded to my first post )

Sanna
Old 08-17-2002, 12:03 AM   #5
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Usually when it's said that a person went to the Grey Havens, it means that from there, they went on to the Undying Lands.

However, the Grey Havens is a part of Middle Earth, so if a mortal stayed there, he would eventually die.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:03 AM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

A mortal who stayed anywhere would eventually die. Only Tuor, grandfather of Elrond and Elros Half-elven, became immortal.

The Grey Havens, or in the Elvish tongue Mithlond, was a settlement of Elves in the extreem Northwest of Middle-earth. Elves often used the ships there to sail away to the Blessed Realm, and the reasons for this has been thoroughly discussed on Entmoot. You can conduct a search if you like. Mortals who go the Blessed Realm (like Bilbo, Frodo, Sam and Gimli) find peace, bliss and healing for a short time, before they lay down their lives willingly and go withersoever they are doomed to go.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:30 PM   #7
Sanna
Hobbit

Oh, okay. I understand much more clearly now. Thanks for the help.

Sanna