Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2000, 12:54 PM   #1
Darth Tater

The Lord of the Rings: Now a major motion picture!

I can just see it now, the release of the books with images from the movies on the cover. The completion of the Hollywoodalization of a classic. I'm sorry for this depressing thought, it just came to me.
Old 05-28-2000, 01:52 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: The Lord of the Rings: Now a major motion picture!

Tater, it's already happened... sort of. I was at Barnes and Noble and I noticed a new edition of LotR. It had regular artwork on the cover, I think, but it said "Now being made into a major motion picture in New Zealand!" It's only a matter of time before the images are put on there

Now I want to know who decides whether it's a major or minor picture, since they all say that! Of course LotR will be major though

As long as the actual text doesn't change, I'll be happy. I'm sure there will be a "novelization" which reflects the changes made in movie and is for those who need a lower reading level, but we don't need to look at that.
Old 05-28-2000, 04:37 PM   #3
IronParrot

Re: The Lord of the Rings: Now a major motion picture!

NOOOOOOOO!!!! NO NOVELIZATION, PLEASE GOD NO!!!!

Old 05-28-2000, 09:55 PM   #4
Blazez

Re: The Lord of the Rings: Now a major motion...

If you ask me, this is a good thing. More people will read the book because of the movie, I hope. Furthermore, I definatly think that there will not be a noveliztion. Look at, for instance, The Man in the Iron Mask (Dicaprio version). It's a good film, but has precious little to do with the original book. Yet, on my book self sits the original version with film cast on the cover. It wasn't re-worked just because the film was. The same could be said for Battlefield Earth (movie only about half of the book), Angela's Ashes, Jurassic Park or countless others.

There will, of course, be a junior novelization that simplifies the book and the movie, but those kids will probably read the whole book later if they like the movie enough to by the junior book.
Old 05-28-2000, 10:23 PM   #5
IronParrot

That's what I was referring to in my cry of terror. No junior novelization, please God no, don't let this happen... please please please please please please please
Old 05-29-2000, 02:55 PM   #6
etherealunicorn

Heavens, no!
I don't want to see that either, IP. I can't speak for kids in other countries, but the last thing that the US needs is any "dumbening" of literature for kids. That is a subject that I take exception to, no offense meant to the younger members of Entmoot(obviously you folks have brains or you wouldn't be interested in being here )
I think that any time something is made simpler to accomodate a larger percentage of the population, it cheapens the experience for those who took the trouble to teach themselves to use that thing in its original form. It removes the mystery of it, and the joy of continually finding something new to experience within the complexity.
We should always seek to stretch ourselves to understand, for in that we learn to grow, rather that simply reworking to bring that understanding to a lower level
Old 05-29-2000, 06:57 PM   #7
juntel

How about a Gandalf doll and a Balrog doll for Christmas?
Old 05-29-2000, 07:26 PM   #8
Darth Tater

God hwo I hate those junior novelizations! Everyone who's ever written one should be thrown into a pit full of rats who will eat them alive.

Hopefully the Tolkien estate won't allow it.
Old 05-29-2000, 11:32 PM   #9
Eruve

I want an Arwen doll so I can run over it with the car!
Old 05-30-2000, 04:04 AM   #10
etherealunicorn

Get several, then you won't be limited to just running over it.
Uses for an Arwen doll:
1. Let the dog show his love for LotR too.
2. A handy table-leveler.
3. A fun and practical dartboard target.
4. An inexpensive test subject for the garbage disposal.
5. A LotR candle holder.
I'm sure that the possibilities are endless.
Old 05-30-2000, 11:57 AM   #11
Eruve

etherealunicorn, you remind me of my older brother. He used to build model ships so he could blow them up with fire crackers. Hey, there's an idea...
Old 05-30-2000, 02:34 PM   #12
etherealunicorn

Hahaha! I didn't think of that one!
6. (courtesy of Eruve)Send Arwen into orbit on a big bottle rocket.

I never was one for blowing stuff up. I had a microscope as a child, so I looked at everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING! I shiver now to think of some of the nasty things I looked at. Pretty interesting, though.
Old 05-31-2000, 12:48 PM   #13
anduin

Hey, I like Arwen!
Old 05-31-2000, 04:13 PM   #14
Eruve

I like Arwen, too, in the book!!! I'm talking about XenArwen, warrior princess, and I suspect etherealunicorn is, too.
Old 05-31-2000, 05:15 PM   #15
anduin

Ohhhh....I get it now! Hehe, yeah, let's shave her head.....that is what I use to do with all of the Barbies I got as a kid.
Old 05-31-2000, 06:12 PM   #16
etherealunicorn

No, I am definitely referring to the All-New XenArwen Action Figure
We could also experiment with strange products for dying hair. How about some nice ammonia Turn that plastic hair a stunning shade of green!
Old 05-31-2000, 07:52 PM   #17
Eruve

heh, heh, heh...

I've created two monsters, here, at least...
I wonder what setting a match to her hair would do. Might give her an interesting perm effect if you're careful not to melt the hair all the way. Better do it outside in case you creat toxic fumes...

OHHH! Major inspiration!! I just thought of my husband's former penchant for burning ants with a magnifying glass... My goodness, I'm cruel!
Old 05-31-2000, 07:56 PM   #18
etherealunicorn

Re: heh, heh, heh...

Yep, Eruve, I remember that particular pasttime from when I was a child. Hehehehe, reminds me of that scene in Toy Story. Yes, by all means give her a third eye!