Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2002, 05:52 PM   #1
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
Diminish?

Ok, I caught that the Elves were diminishing and the race was moving on. (It's been awhile since I read the books) But what did they mean? Where the Elves dissapearing? Was the race just moving on? Answers please
Quote:
I have passed the test! I will diminish and go into the West and remain Galadriel
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 05:59 PM   #2
Sween
im quite stupid

there were all moving to valinor which allthough having higher property values has the bonuses of no men, no hobbits (well that pesky bilbo and frodo sliped in eventually), no Dawfs, no arwen, no bad guys and no dark lords hell bent on taking over the world.

Also hear they have a nice shopping mall

Last edited by Sween : 08-08-2002 at 06:00 PM.
Sween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 06:04 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Moving to the correct forum.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 06:16 PM   #4
Urksnik the Sleek
Hobbit

The ages of the elves was finally over and they were all returning to Valinor. From Galadriel's personal view, having rejected the temptation of the one ring, she knew that if it was destroyed, then the power of the three elven rings would also fail and therefore she would be less powerful than when she could wield it, therefore the term diminished referred to her loss of power (or potency), and the fact that she would no longer be one of the highest and most respected people in Middle Earth, but simply one of the returning exiles.
Urksnik the Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 06:39 PM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Excellent analysis, Urksnik the Sleek. Welcome to the Moot!

I also think it was the impending loss of the ring she bore which would seem a diminishment.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 06:39 PM   #6
Sween
im quite stupid

There is also the whole issue of fading. As long as the ring existed the elves would not fade they stoped time effectally for the elves that what they got out the deal with sauron. I think they in the end just tired of middle earth most elves saw the war comming and though oh i cannot be doing with that and up sticks if you want to be basic about it.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:45 PM   #7
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Not all of them were going to Valinor. Many that left only went to Tol Eressëa anyway. At the end of the Third Age, most of the High-elves and many of the Grey-elves were leaving, but most Elves on the whole stayed. Those Elves that had never gone on the Great Journey had to stay anyway, as they had chosen, or their ancestors had. All the Elves who stayed in Middle-earth would eventually "fade" in time. This was a grievious thing to an Elf. Their spirit gradually became stronger than their body, and the body was consumed, living on only in the memory of the spirit. The Elf in question becomes invisable to mortal eyes, except at certain times when they make up a brief vision of themselves to be seen by us. They were not dead, only "faded", like the Ringwraiths. In Aman, the Blessed Realm, in Valinor and Tol Eressëa, that is, there was no fading. That's one of the chief reasons the Elves wished to go there.

The Elves were diminishing in number and some in power. Many were leaving, many were dying and not returning, few were still begetting children and children begotten were few. And, as I said, the Elves were fading, or the fading process had begun in the Third Age.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-08-2002 at 06:49 PM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:37 PM   #8
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
actually,it began as soon as they left Valinor.it wasjust quickend after the lossof ehe elven kings.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 10:14 PM   #9
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Their spirit gradually became stronger than their body, and the body was consumed, living on only in the memory of the spirit. The Elf in question becomes invisable to mortal eyes, except at certain times when they make up a brief vision of themselves to be seen by us
that is the saddest thing ive ever read. without a doubt
Old 08-08-2002, 10:36 PM   #10
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
actually,it began as soon as they left Valinor.it wasjust quickend after the lossof ehe elven kings
You're right, of course.

Lúthien, I never thought about it from their perspective. You're right, it is very sad. The Wise among the Eldar believed that fading was due to the taint of Morgoth. For Morgoth disseminated himself throughout the very matter of the Earth, and Arda was Morgoth's Ring, and the bodies of the Elves was made of the same stuff. Thus they were weaker than they were meant to be in the design of Ilúvatar, and their spirits which Morgoth could not and did not touch were stronger.

This is not to say that all the physical world was evil, or that bodily forms were perceived as a bad thing. Just not as they were originally meant to be. Melkor did after all drastically alter the designs of the One when he Fell.

It is the faded Elves, I suppose, that would make it into our mythologies. That of the Norse and especially the Celts and all that. I remember afro-elf saying once that the ancient Africans had names for Elves too.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-08-2002 at 10:38 PM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 10:44 PM   #11
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
u mean santas helpers?

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 11:10 AM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Christiana
u mean santas helpers?
Not quite. I think it would be more along the lines of the fabled elves of Ireland.

Another reason I think the Elves were diminishing in the Third Age, is because the time of Man was at hand, and they had pretty much fulfilled their purposes as they were intended by Iluvatar.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 11:21 AM   #13
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
thanx guys
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote