Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel What's the difference?

OK, just lately I have been confused about this: What's the difference between Orcs, Uruk-Hai, and Nazgul? I always thought that the nazgul were 9 orcs chosen by Sauron to find the 1 ring, and Uruk-hai were half orcs/half men, bred by Saruman.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:58 AM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

let see... the Uruk-Hai were "improve orks" that Saruman did in Isengard. The Nazgul were 9 men that had the 9 rings and Sauron control them.. hope i made it more clear.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 02:02 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Saruman never originally created the Uruk-Hai, Sauron had Uruk-Hai before the Treason of Isengard.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 02:44 PM   #4
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

Uruk-hai are a cross between orcs and goblin men and were created to be stronger than regulars orcs and also to be a ble to move in the sunlight. Radagast said it just like it is with the Nazgul. They were the nine men to whom Sauron gave the nine rings of power. They became corrupt and evil, then slaves to Sauron, his most trusted and powerful slaves.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:40 PM   #5
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel

OK, so - orcs are just...evil creatures, I guess? And Uruk-hai are a cross between orcs and goblin men, which were originally created by Sauron and duplicated by Saruman. And Nazgul were nine kings of men who received the 9 rings and became slaves to their power. I think i get it now, thanx guys!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 08-08-2002, 04:57 PM   #6
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
orcs were tortured, mutilated elves who could only travel in the dark. Uruk-Hai are "updated" orcs who know no fear or pain and can travel with amazing speed in daylight as well as night. The Nazgul are the 9 Kings of Men who fell under the power of Sauron and are trying to find the Ring of Power
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 07:03 PM   #7
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel

Ok, I got it now. Thanks to all who helped!

Old 08-08-2002, 07:14 PM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

You got some misinformation, galadriel, which Comic Book Guy tried to correct.

The Nazgûl were Men, sorcerer-kings who in the Second Age of the world were ensnared by Sauron the Dark Lord, who gave them each a Ring of Power. They lived on and on, never dying, until their bodies were consumed and they were invisable to mortal eyes, unless they put on raiment of our world. The Uruk-hai are a breed of Orcs, larger than the others, almost the size of Men, and were the greatest of warriors of that dreadful warrior-race.

Some points:
  • Saruman did not make the Uruk-hai, although many Uruk-hai did serve him. Saruman did not make these Uruk-hai, he merely recruited them.
  • Uruk-hai are not a cross between Orcs and goblin-men. This is only true in the movie.
  • Half-orcs do exist, but they are not the same as the Uruk-hai. Half-orcs were first devised by Sauron far back in the Elder Days and this art was rediscovered by Saruman, who breeded Orcs with Men in the late Third Age.
  • Uruk-hai know both fear and pain, though they are hardier than the lesser breeds, whom they refer to as snaga, which means "slave".
  • The Orcs were not made from Elves. In Tolkien's latest idea, the Orcs were corrupted Men, not Elves.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-08-2002 at 07:15 PM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 02:47 PM   #9
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel

Oh! Well in that case...

*Orcs are tortured, mutilated men.
*Uruk-hai are a very hardy breed of orc that were recruited by Saruman to serve him.
*Half-orcs were originally created by Sauron and duplicated by Saruman.
*The Nazgul were the 9 kings to whom were given the 9 rings.

OK, do I have it straight now?

Old 08-11-2002, 02:55 PM   #10
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Nolendil, are you sure? cause in the Sil Tolkien wrote that the first orks were made from the elves... explenation? why didn't he re-wrote this part if he decided that they were made from men?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 05:38 PM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes Galadriel, you have it right now.

I am quite sure Radagast. There is a lot he didn't rewrite. The entire mythology was to be revised so as to fit with what science has to say about the Universe. He was an old man and there was so much to do and so much to be worried about. He just didn't get around to it. The Silmarillion would have been very different had J. R. R. Tolkien lived long enough to write it himself. There's all sorts of stuff in there that people take for granted that isn't actually "true". A lot of it doesn't reflect J. R. R.'s latest ideas (for various reasons, sometime Christopher overlooked something, sometimes he felt he would have to rewrite too much to respect the latest idea), some of it was written solely by Christopher and so on. Tolkien's final idea on Orcs (that they came from Men) can be found in Morgoth's Ring, Myths Transformed. Morgoth's Ring was Volume X of the History of Middle-earth.

A lot of the stuff in The Silmarillion didn't even come from Silmarillion writings anyway. I'm not sure, but I think most of the stuff about Orcs coming from Elves was found in the Annals of Beleriand (the Grey Annals).

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-11-2002 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:16 PM   #12
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

I think all of this is kind of questionable because it does directly state in the Silarillion that they were from elves, but then, it says otherwise in a different book, so some people will take it one way, and others another way.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 02:57 AM   #13
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
I think all of this is kind of questionable because it does directly state in the Silarillion that they were from elves, but then, it says otherwise in a different book, so some people will take it one way, and others another way.
Granted, it's debatable. But I think too many hold The Silmarillion in too high authority, due to an inadequate understanding of it's history (and Morgoth's Ring and The War of the Jewels is "The History of The Silmarillion"). To me it is pretty simple: early on Tolkien said they were made from Elves and later on after debating with himself and going through various ideas, he decided once and for all that they were made from Men. That the earlier version was printed in The Silmarillion means little to me.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:47 PM   #14
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

This thread reminds me of how clueless you and I were once, dylan. ]: )

At least nobody has asked what color they were, eh?
Old 08-21-2002, 04:23 PM   #15
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

WHAT COLOR WERE THE URUK HAI?!!!??

JK lol! Anyway, the movie brainwashed me, having finished ROTK 5 days before the movie came out, and haven't read it since. SO - what were the Uruk Hai... I have been believing they were half orc/goblin

-~*Sminty*~-
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:13 AM   #16
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
This thread reminds me of how clueless you and I were once, dylan. ]: )
Hehe, those were the days, weren't they? Though I don't remember much cluelessness coming out of you.

Sminty, I believe the identity of the Uruk-hai is covered above. But they were Orcs. They were superior soldier Orcs made by Sauron about (I think) 1,000 years before the Lord of the Rings takes place. They were tall (for Orcs), almost man-high, straight, with broad, flat, swart faces. An Uruk orc-chieftain in Mória (yes there were Uruks in Mória) is described as having a red tongue and eyes like coals. This was the Orc who speared Frodo (it was not a Cave-troll, like in the movie). In the books the orc-chieftain leaps into the chamber, blocks a blow from Boromir with a huge hide shield, bears him backwards and knocking him to the ground, ducks a swipe from Aragorn "with the speed of a stricking snake" and pins Frodo against the wall. Sam hacks the spear away, the Orc draws his scimitar and then Aragorn cleaves his head in two with Andúril.

What's dangerous about the color? Most Orcs were sallow-skinned, according to Tolkien, but I have never read of an Uruk who was not swarthy. I suppose they had dark brown skin. Uruks also appear to be quite hairy.

Orcs and Goblins, by the way, are exactly the same thing.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-22-2002 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:12 AM   #17
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

uruks, orcs, golbins... augh!

Well how were the orcs made in to uruk hai?

And how, in the movie, could they breed orcs and goblin men if they were the same thing?!

-~*Sminty*~-
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:39 AM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Uruks were bred by Sauron to be larger and stronger, as well as having the ability to withstand the sun. And as Nolendil has pointed out, they referred to the "lesser" orcs as snaga (slaves.) I'm assuming he did this by corrupting (or manipulating) the breeding stock, thus selecting for the characteristics that he wanted in his warrior orcs.

The movie IS NOT canon. For a start, it implies that Saruman was the one to create uruk-hai. The reason I guess PJ showed those horrible pod things, was to make it visually more easy to understand. If I were you, I'd quit worrying about the movie version of the events.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:24 AM   #19
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel

Ditto. All content in the movies are subject to the truths in the books.

Old 08-22-2002, 10:38 AM   #20
Xeta
Hobbit

I disregard everything in the HoME series as ideas of Tolkien. My view of ME is that goblins are corrupted elves, with some human blood added in later. A kind of "ongoing experiment" on the part of Morgoth, if you will.
Xeta is offline   Reply With Quote