Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-06-2002, 01:27 PM   #1
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

The Fellowship of the Ring - DVD and VHS.

Discuss.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:42 PM   #2
Llark silverwolf
Banned

uh cant wait 4 hours gonna be ultra cool im getting dvd maybe they have trailors for the next one i hope so i saw one trailer i wish i could watch it over and over ooh and with the dvd i could just watch my fave parts over and over
Llark silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
Celandine
Elven Warrior

Gollum

i'm going to get the dvd as soon as my sister wakes up. I have heard the two towers trailer it is good
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 02:03 PM   #4
Sween
im quite stupid

Well ive had the DVD copy on my computer for mouths and mouths now and i dont even want to know how many times ive watched it (probably in the 50ths now) but i got the VHS version (no DVD) today and its so much better than just watching it on my computer. There were a few moments like it was like in the cininima where i felt in the screen (only a cinima can do that really) but it was good.

There are so many things happening in the background of the movie that you dont notice on the computer like the fish in gollums cave .

Now just got to wait a few days and download the DVD preview
Old 08-06-2002, 02:14 PM   #5
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
We don't have a DVD player, but hopefully will soon, and I'm waiting until November to get my own copy, but I'll be at the library lickety split, soon as they have it ordered.

I saw the commercial for it today and nearly exploded.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:58 PM   #6
Panther2112
Hobbit

Nazgul

Locked and loaded and ready to pick up the DVD after I get of work. It's going to be so cool. Can't wait for the special addition in November. Bringum on!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2002, 07:13 PM   #7
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, if you've had it on DVD for "mouths and mouths" [sic] you are adding to the problem of piracy, and in my book that's pretty crappy. A copy of the trailer for TTT is one thing. The whole dang movie is another. And bragging about it to Tolkien fans is a little, well, gauche.

I waited for the VHS to come out, and am a tad disappointed that it has been reformatted for TV. I would have much preferred the letterbox format because so much of the film is missing in this "through-the-keyhole" viewpoint. I guess I could buy a DVD player, but that will have to wait a few paychecks. C'est la vie.

Also, the rebate card which was included in the package refers to "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION." Very interesting, has there been any news on the release date for this expanded VHS/DVD release?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:18 PM   #8
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
[B Very interesting, has there been any news on the release date for this expanded VHS/DVD release? [/B]
November 12.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:31 PM   #9
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Many thanks, Entlover.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 09:09 PM   #10
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Well I just got the DVD (Widescreen version) from Best Buy. I've only watched the 10 minute behind the scenes look at The Two Towers. The scenery and and action is great - I just hope there aren't any stupid Arwen lines.

Best Buy had the DVD here for $15.99 - how much was it where everyone else live? Also I guess Best Buy in Pennsylvania (not too far from the NJ border), was having a LotR party last night at 10:30 and were going to be selling the movie at 12:01am. Did anyone else have anything like that by them?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 09:33 PM   #11
gdl96
the greg the admin

I'll rent the VHS possibly this weekend. But I'm waiting for two things: a DVD player and the Special Edition LOTR DVD in November.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:17 PM   #12
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I went to Wal-Mart bright and early this morning at 8:30 to buy it. My mom called about 7 and they didn't have it yet, but when I called at 8 they had it, so I went. I didn't have time to watch the whole thing yet because it's been a busy day. I watched up until my favorite part (Moria) and I'll finish it tomorrow.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:25 PM   #13
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
I didn't have time to watch the whole thing yet because it's been a busy day. I watched up until my favorite part (Moria) and I'll finish it tomorrow.
And you call youself an LotR fan.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 12:28 AM   #14
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
At Border's they were selling it at 12:01 am...but the DVD cost 22 dollars at both the major bookstores down town. I didn't look into Best Buy.

I'm more motivated to get a job now. DVD and DVD player here I come!
Old 08-07-2002, 07:30 AM   #15
anduin
Entwife

I went to Target and got the DVD for 16.99. When I got home and started opening it, I realized that I got the "fullscreen" version and not the "widescreen" version. So I had to turn around and head back to the store hoping they would exchange it since I had opened it pretty far (only one sticker holding it closed). They did and I went home and watched both DVDs in their entirety. I have yet to view the DVD-ROM part as it is only accessible on a PC (idiots) but I know that someone out there will give access to Mac users in the same way that they did for TPM, at least I hope so.

One question though.....I thought they were suppose to list the names of people that contributed money and joined some club or something (what was the name of it??) Remember that? Maybe it is suppose to be on the Nov. release because it was not on this one, unless it is in the DVD-ROM somewhere.
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 09:22 AM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

I turned off the lights last night to give it a theater feel. I actually liked having the full screen version, it made it seem like a bigger screen to me. I'm going to get the widescreen when I get the Nov. release. (Since I paid nothing for this one I feel justified in getting them both!)

Did anyone else watch the entire credits? There were a lot of people listed, (so many I couldn't read them because they were so small) but I don't imagine they added any fan club names there. Maybe it is the Nov. version.

I only got to watch the actual movie, none of the extra stuff, but hopefully I can do that today. I won't be able to get any of the DVD rom stuff because I only have a cd-rom, and you must have a special dvd-rom to access it! I guess I'll have to wait until I get a new computer! The big corps sure do get you to spend your money!

Oh, yeah, after I watched it last night it was about 11:30, and I felt compelled to go out and look at the stars. The scenery sure does make you want to travel to ME. (I know I know we're in ME, but you know what I mean!)

Last edited by azalea : 08-07-2002 at 09:25 AM.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 01:58 PM   #17
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
One question though.....I thought they were suppose to list the names of people that contributed money and joined some club or something (what was the name of it??) Remember that?
I remember that, if you joined the offical fan club your name was to be added to some credits on the DVD. I haven't seen anything of the sort, so it must be on the extended version or a undiscovered Easter Egg.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 02:58 PM   #18
Minyacamiel
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

Well, I havn't bought it yet, seeing as I live in a TINY town... but as soon as I heard it was in our movie store I rented it and watched it 3 times in a row.... I love that movie... Can't wait until the 2nd one comes out, it'll be great... for some reason I always end up crying when Gandalf falls off the cliff.... I just start bawling, and it's quite embarrasing when it happens too.... it's just so sad!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2002, 05:48 PM   #19
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

all i can say is wow. i actually own it.
and did anyone else check out the extra bits of the extended version, pj's crap about not liking the tern about "director's cut" is bs IMO, but i love the shot of the elves going to the grey havens! i can't wait to see the dvd in november, now there's gonna be some TTT action, eh?

i love all the Lotr.net's featurettes with all the cast member's little bits.
ican't believe i own it! it's mine!

my preciousss

yes, and all the parts that are aded even in this first edition! like water running in the backgrounnd can be heard more clearly then in the theatre, . and has anyone ever watched the faces of gandalf and frodo when pippen says his little "im a nut" lines at the council?? esp, the part about "ok then, where are we going" you just have to watch frodo's face! hehehe! i love LOTR and im gonna watchit again!

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 08-07-2002 at 05:53 PM.
LuthienTinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 05:53 PM   #20
princess-arwen
Sapling

GOT THE VIDEO LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!! I kept re-winding to see Gandalf bang his head in Bilbos house Im so cruel but its sooooo funny !!!!! You see so much you dont see on the "big screen".

THANKYOU WHO EVER CREATED THE FILM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait till the two towers I just can't wait!!!!!!