Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2002, 12:07 AM   #1
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Wait 'til I get my hands on him...

No, not PJ. Howard bloody Shore!! Am I the ONLY one who thinks that his scoring is really, really, bad?! Garrrrrr.... I could barely concentrate on watching the new trailers, the music was soooo bad. (I'm thinking of one piece of music in particular - the trumpet fanfare that they keep playing, to illustrate "hero" music.)*sigh*

Anyway, my theory is: they have to make music really generic, so that it doesn't over-shadow the cast members.

So who's with me? Anybody? Anybody at all? No, I didn't think so...
Old 08-05-2002, 12:11 AM   #2
olsonm
Elf Lord

Re: Wait 'til I get my hands on him...

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Am I the ONLY one who thinks that his scoring is really, really, bad?!
Well, not the only one. I'm sure there's someone else who feels that way somewhere in the world.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:39 AM   #3
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Actually, music in the trailers usually isn't part of the original score of the movie...like in the FOTR trailer, there wasn't much of the original score in it.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:39 AM   #4
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Strider

I thought the music was really good, and it went really well with the LotR theme. I don't know what your problem is with Peter Jackson(who was nominated for best director for LotR) and Howard Shore. I think you just hate Peter Jackson for some reason and you hate everything else because of him. Oh well, your choice, not mine.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 01:51 PM   #5
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

WHAT? You hated the score? How...how...how...*calms down before hyperventilating to death*
I've always thought as the trumpet fanfare being the fellowship's theme of sorts. It's always played before a major happening that concerns them. *i.e. the departure from Rivendell.* I think I read that here somewhere...not sure.
Anyways...hope you find someone to hate the score with you...keep looking!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 05:11 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I will!

Quote:
don't know what your problem is with Peter Jackson(who was nominated for best director for LotR) and Howard Shore. I think you just hate Peter Jackson for some reason and you hate everything else because of him.
Just because a director is nominated (at rigged awards no less) doesn't make him a good director. Granted, I liked his early body of work (frighteners, heavenly creatures, etc.), I'm just not that impressed with FOTR. Aside from the fact that he changed far too much for my liking, it just doesn't work as a movie for me. (I'm hoping the next two will be better though.) As for Howard Shore. Bah! He's as bad as James Horner. Why does everyone like that trumpet fanfare???
Old 08-05-2002, 09:06 PM   #7
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I like the score...or liked it; now I'm sick of it 'cause I listened to it too many times, and it seems old now, but really, I don't think it's all that bad. I mean, it is your typical movie-music, but I wouldn't call it bad. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 09:08 PM   #8
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
i liked it.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:34 PM   #9
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

You're kidding? I loved the soundtrack! I'd be listening to it now if my CD player hadn't stuffed up! *smashing noises in background very similar to CD player getting kicked* Though some bits did sound very... Stereotypical or whatever, you know, the 'hero' music did get boring in some bits.
I particularly loved track 2... and 5... and 10... and some of 13... and 17... Ok, i'll shut up now.
Lanelf

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 12:30 AM   #10
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Howard Shore as bad as James Horner? That's funny. The Fellowship soundtrack was awesome, and I can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve for TTT. And at least every song doesn't sound like "My Heart Will Go On."

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 02:21 AM   #11
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Question: any movie in particular you do like?

What do you think of The 13th Warrior?

Just curious.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 05:29 AM   #12
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I like Howard Shore's score for FotR.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 06:37 AM   #13
Mithr@ndir
Sapling

Strider

I liked the music. Made me feel like it was a massive world full of weird and wonderful things

bring it on
Old 08-06-2002, 11:54 PM   #14
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

well, i loved the music, but after listening to it over and over again, it did seem that it was all the same, and i did get tired of it! but it dose go good with the movie, i just needed a breek for a while from that music, i will listen to it alot again, some time, hopefully before ttt soundtrack will come out, i just hope that that music will not allso run together!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:36 AM   #15
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I will!

Just because a director is nominated (at rigged awards no less) doesn't make him a good director. Granted, I liked his early body of work (frighteners, heavenly creatures, etc.), I'm just not that impressed with FOTR. Aside from the fact that he changed far too much for my liking, it just doesn't work as a movie for me. (I'm hoping the next two will be better though.) As for Howard Shore. Bah! He's as bad as James Horner. Why does everyone like that trumpet fanfare???
Yeah, rigged awards. Exactly. I never thought of that. If you aren't impressed with TFotR, with everything they did to make it good, go slouch your bum and watch the animated one. I'm sure they kept everything there for you. And I'll admit that I'm a lot younger than you, but you're very immature if you can't understand why they took somew parts out. I hope you don't see the second movie, so we won't have to losten to you complain about it. Don't buy the DVD either. The same goes for that. And don't try to turn this into an "America Sucks" thread now too.
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:23 PM   #16
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Faramir

The same goes for that. And don't try to turn this into an "America Sucks" thread now too.
Aww, why not?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:59 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Faramir

Yeah, rigged awards. Exactly. I never thought of that. If you aren't impressed with TFotR, with everything they did to make it good, go slouch your bum and watch the animated one. I'm sure they kept everything there for you. And I'll admit that I'm a lot younger than you, but you're very immature if you can't understand why they took somew parts out. I hope you don't see the second movie, so we won't have to losten to you complain about it. Don't buy the DVD either. The same goes for that. And don't try to turn this into an "America Sucks" thread now too.
Last time I checked, I was allowed to start threads and contribute my POV - you don't want to listen to me whine, then bugger off and don't post/read my threads. Even better, put me on your ignore list, then I don't have to listen to you whine everytime I air my opinions.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:42 PM   #18
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Howard Shore wrote a very effective score for this film. He established prominent themes and repeated them, which is typical of a more classic-style score, influenced by symphonic structure and with a strong Romantic element which adds depth, beauty and poignancy to this well-crafted film. Well done, Mr. Shore. Oscar honestly deserved.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 09:55 PM   #19
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Well put, Bropous.

Now now, children, don't fight. We need BOP as a devil's advocate to keep this from becoming an insipid lovefest -- without disagreement we'd have much less to say. True, she can be annoying, but at least she's rational.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:15 PM   #20
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

BoP, are you referring to the movie music in general or just the stuff in the TTT trailer? I'm kind of indifferent to the movie music, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best thing I've ever heard (although, I really like the ariel sequence at the Gates of Argonath and the music there)

(note: bropous is lurking again!)
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote