Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2002, 12:52 AM   #1
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

The Tree Climbing Thread

Well, the subject has come up in other various threads, so I thought I'd make an offical home for it.

What's your favorite type of tree to climb? My location is comparitively tropical to all you mainlanders and Europeans (Florida Keys, USA) Anyone else ever climbed a ficus tree (it's related to the banyan, does that ring any bells?)? I try to sit in mine for at least five minutes every day, very relaxing and elvish.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 12:55 AM   #2
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

white pine, they smell nice, and oak. and ones that fell down, (i can get all the way to the top)
Old 08-03-2002, 12:59 AM   #3
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I climbed on a big fallen tree once (not sure which kind, one of the odd indiginous central florida trees ) It was nice, the sides were all covered with big (plate-sized) white mushrooms.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:25 PM   #4
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Willow trees! They are the best trees to climb, because they always have branches low enough for my small frame to reach, and they're really twisty, so there's always a place to sit. I have one in my back yard, and I can even lay down in certain places while I read or listen to music, or just look up through the branches and imagine.

Stoopid 90 second rule....
Old 08-03-2002, 12:28 PM   #5
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i'm not sure about types of trees, i'm not so good at identifying them but i do have a favourite tree! it's quite small but the branches start of really low so its really easy to climb (which is good seeing as i'm not that good at tree climbing!)
i go there now and again. tis very peaceful. perfect for thinking in. and reading, and sleeping, its a very "multi-functional" tree shall we say
Old 08-03-2002, 01:56 PM   #6
azalea
Long lost mooter

Good idea, this thread!
While my favorite tree to sit under is a weeping willow or weeping cherry (I especially love those because they're PINK ), I've said in another thread how my favorite climbing trees are magnolias. They have great branches, plenty of low ones for those of us w/ hobbit-like stature, the leaves are big and dark, making the tree shady, and a great hiding place. Their flowers are big and white and smell wonderful. And the leaves are easier to rake because they are so big. When I finally own a home, I'm planting a least one.
I've also climbed a lot of apple trees in my time, but they aren't as pleasant because they can be prickly.
Right now the only viable climbing trees in my yard are dogwoods, which are nice, but they aren't extremely sturdy, so you have to climb gently, so to speak. No hopping around or anything. Bradford pears are good to climb if they have low branches, but their flowers smell kind of bad.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 02:17 PM   #7
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Weeping willows. But I can only climb one once a year because only my cousin has them. And I can't climb it right now because #1 I'm not at her house, and #2 ITS RAINING!!!!! ARRRRRGGGHHH!!!! *Regains composure* But there's a tree in my front yard in Texas that isn't bad. If only I was as tall as an elf... Once, we found a wooden baseball bat stuck up in the limbs of that tree. We got it down, but it was really hard because the bat had grown onto the tree. It was so weird!

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 02:21 PM   #8
azalea
Long lost mooter

Ooh, that is weird! There's a tree near my house that has one of it's branches that grew THROUGH another of it's branches. It's hard to explain, but it's really weird looking.
I guess in Texas you don't have very many trees to climb, huh? I visited the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area once and were we stayed it was completely flat and there were no trees. It was very different from what I'm used to.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:22 PM   #9
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I used to climb a sugar maple at my parents house. It was the best! It had a lowish branch so you could get up pretty easy, and dense foliage so no one would know you were there! I was very sad when it died and had to be cut down. I have a ficus, Menelvagor, but you can't climb it. It's a bonsai!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:01 PM   #10
azalea
Long lost mooter

LOL, my favorite tree when I was a kid died and had to be cut down, too! It was very traumatic, and no one seemed to think it was a big deal. I think it was a Japanese maple or something. I had my dad keep a slice of the wood from it so I could someday whittle a cat from it (that never happened).

My parents always had ficuses, but they were only houseplant sized. I think one did get big enough to plant outside, but I have no idea where they planted it.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:59 AM   #11
Sween
im quite stupid

My favorite tree was the one at the black hole in cockermouth. used to have a rope swing on it and you swang out and jumped in the river (spent many a day there.) you could also climb it and do the bull horn jump. But that got cut down by the council (thank you very much) so its not the youth hostel tree.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:30 PM   #12
azalea
Long lost mooter

OH, we used to have a rope swing that swung out over the stream in our neighborhood -- that was the most fun! If I ever have a large property I'm going to have something like that. I love swings anyway. I want to hang a wooden swing from a big oak in our front yard, but I'm afraid the neighbor kids will get on it and misuse it and get hurt or something.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:47 PM   #13
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

My parents moved into our house when I was three weeks old and the property had nothing on it, no trees, no grass, a few mangroves by the water but no real bushes to speak of, and they planted everything that's growing there now (you should see my yard, it's amazing) so my ficus tree is the same age I am. It's really cool, I've been climbing it since I was little and it's grown up with me so each year I can climb a little farther. I will be very upset if anyone ever suts it down.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:16 PM   #14
Archbob the Elder
Enting

Birch trees are nice, so are oaks if you can reach the limbs.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:49 PM   #15
TinuvielChild
Padawan

My favorites are white pines, willows, and one other. I'm not sure what type it is, but I'll ask Menelvagor, who knows what I'm talking about: The "Whomping Willow" at Vassar, behind Davison. Any clue what type of tree that is? In any case, it's so much fun to sit in, easy to climb, nobody can tell you're there.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 11:02 PM   #16
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Banyan trees! I spent a good part of my youth in those. Mulberry trees too when the berries were in season.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 01:51 AM   #17
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Behind being in the quad, or that big tree on the edge of Joss Beach? Either way, I have no idea what it is.

Yay! cirdan has spent time in banyan trees! Aren't they the best?
Old 08-15-2002, 02:56 AM   #18
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

My favorite trees to climb are apple and cherry trees. My grandparents on my dad's side have an apple orchard in their front yard and at one end of it is a large cherry tree that's really easy to climb. It has this one branch that's perfect for sitting on, and it's a good tree to hide in. We have a black and white photograph of me sitting in it and unless you look really closely you can't even tell that it's anything but tree branch.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 04:01 AM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Macrocarpa trees. I spent some years of my youth in one macrocarpa or another, and I just love the smell of the sap, as it leaks out all over you. We used to have a small section, when I was a kid, and me and my little brother both had a tree, that was ours. He's perch in his, and I'd perch in mine, and we'd escape the vicious rooster that used to have it in for us. Plus, down the back, we had a huge canopy made of about 4 macrocarpas, and underneath, it felt like a sheltered cave system, within which we had a rope swing that we'd swing around on. And our next door neighbours had a flet type thing built on top of their macrocarpas, underneath, was a small tunnel system, made out of the undergrowth, and on top, the leaves were so thick, that we could just clamper about beyond the flet area, and slide down the trees to the ground. It was great! I miss those days.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-15-2002 at 04:02 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 11:11 AM   #20
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
Yay! cirdan has spent time in banyan trees! Aren't they the best?
Yes! They are unlike any other. If I hadn't seen one in real life I would think they were made up. There was an old hotel/nightclub in Daytona Beach that had one growing up through the lobby. The place had been shut down for years when I was a kid. We would sneak in and play in the lobby and the rooms. It was very creepy, with an empty indoor pool as well. Someone finally burned it down. We were sure it was haunted.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote