Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 08:34 PM   #1
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

dvd countdown begins!

countdown until the first edition dvd is out.!!!
0 more days

after that is over we can do the four cd set dvd release countdown, as it will be closer!

(i did a search for 'countdown, and no dvd countdowns came up, prove me wrong and close it, don't prove me wrong and close this and i shall be very very very mad!)
(***edit: i changed the title, for all you nosey noses out there***)

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 08-06-2002 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:07 PM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I dunno, in the past people just use these countdown threads as an excuse to increase their post count just by posting a single number. I think they are rather pointless anyway, as we will know when it'll be released anyway due to the marketing New Line cinema are said to put into this.

If any single member constantly posts in this thread and is obviously using this thread to increase their post count with little work I shall close this.

Quote:
after that is over we can do the four cd set dvd release countdown, as it will be closer!
No, it'll be too early.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:30 PM   #3
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I have broken down and ordered the Special Edition VHS that comes out in November. It's on sale in many places. And no, I'm not buyin a DVD player just for this, my 10 year old VCR is in great shape. I hate being pushed into enhancing my technology just so corporations can make more money.

But of course we have to rent the regular edition when it's out in how many days? 19?
Old 07-18-2002, 03:04 PM   #4
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
I hate being pushed into enhancing my technology just so corporations can make more money.
So......you'd forgo the image and sound (and overall entertainment) enhancements afforded by DVD technology.........to spite big corporations??

Hmmm.....[your] VHS vs DVD....

240 horizontal lines vs 480......
Interlaced vs progressive scan......
Mono sound vs up to 8 channel cd-quality surround sound......
Shorter playback longevity vs longer.......need I go on??

Do you have a black and white TV, by any chance? Did you succumb to the evil propoganda and marketing of those evil evil corporations, and give up your hard-earned cash to them to buy your first TV??

Don't tell me you've purchased a radio! Alas, you fell into their greedy clutches a long time ago.....

Lo! I can sometimes be a little dry. Sorry.

Last edited by Andúril : 07-18-2002 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:33 PM   #5
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
The count-down is on at my house as well!

I warned everyone in my house that as of August 6 nothing but Lord of the Rings will be allowed on the television for a minimun of 5 days and that anyone caught turning it off will be dipped in boiling grease and eaten as hors d'oeuvres!

19 Days left!!!!!!
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:44 PM   #6
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
[B]
Do you have a black and white TV, by any chance? Did you succumb to the evil propoganda and marketing of those evil evil corporations, and give up your hard-earned cash to them to buy your first TV??/B]
Grr. No, I have a large color TV. To tell the truth, I've never seen a DVD, so can't judge the difference. (No, I do not live in a cave) The VCR seems adequate -- I'll be able to tell Frodo from Sam.
They just seem to be rushing it a bit. Wait til my first VCR wears out. (But almost thou persuadest me)

Last edited by Entlover : 07-18-2002 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:11 PM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Why bother ordering it in advance? Is there any reason why I won't be able to waltz into my local Wal-mart the day it's (super DVD!) released and buy it cheap? Seems like the stores are overly stocked with movies.???
Old 07-18-2002, 09:45 PM   #8
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Well, I asked myself the same question. And they were having a big sale (30%off) so I thought it would be good to take advantage of that (not being independently wealthy like some people who own DVD players).
Now I know it will come to my mailbox and I won't even have to go after it, and worry about whether my local stores will be out of it etc. I would have liked to get it at Costco where everything is cheaper but they are apparently not even ordering the VHS version.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:45 AM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I see........Well, I give up on trying to controll the influx of "blackware' into the house. The techno lovers just keep carting the strange boxes in, I really don't know what they all do anymore. I was told the DVD was really cheap. I've seen them for less than $100. I'm not trying to be a wise a** (like some posters..) but you might consider it. Purchase one along with the new FoTR DVD, lump them both together as neccessary purchases, part of mom's Tolkien obsession! We have a whole spare room devoted to out- dated technology tho.........What do you do with all that stuff (SAVE IT! my hubby say's, yuck!)
Course if you wait awhile, the price on DVD's will probably get even cheaper. I remember buying our first VCR when they were new in 82. We paid almost $400 for this huge thing!, Our first microwave was about the same. I thought $400 for a cheese melter and popcorn popper was a bit much. I've since added the bread machine and yucky Foreman grill.

Last edited by Lizra : 07-19-2002 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:50 AM   #10
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

FYI: i was planning on editing my other post, ya know the one at the top, .. besides, ive already gotten to 500, i don't really care about post counts
Old 07-22-2002, 02:58 PM   #11
Celandine
Elven Warrior

14 more days!!!! I want to order it on from amazon.com but I can't, I have to wait until the day it comes out to get it. but that's okay because if I ordered it, the move probably would not come until after August 6th.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:43 PM   #12
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

dvd or vhs?? i was planning on getting the vhs cuz i only have dvd on my computer. i want the one with half hour of extra footage!!!!!!!!

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Old 07-24-2002, 05:02 PM   #13
azalea
Long lost mooter

Well, I'm getting the DVD free, because Blockbuster is having a promo. Free DVD if you get a prepaid rental card ($25). It'll only cost me $100 for the DVD player I'll now have to buy That's why I ended up preordering it. I wasn't going to before then, because it's not as if they won't have enough to sell. I do hate to throw my money to the corporations, too. I mean I don't know how the DVD will enhance the sound and picture on my 20 year old TV.
I am waiting to get a new TV when the price of digital TVs goes down, as is everyone else. But that's not happening quickly enough for the changeover from analog broadcasts, so the gov. is trying to force the prices down. The companies are of course protesting that. Well, so much for my rant.
Yes, I plan to watch the movie at least 3 nights in a row. The first night for the pure enjoyment. The second night I will provide a commentary for my husband on changes made from the book, since he hasn't read the book, and what was left out. I know he's going to be thrilled by this. The third night, well now I forget what the purpose of the third viewing was going to be, aside from finding the little mistakes people have talked about (the car, etc). Maybe I'll invite some people over (off the streets, please, anyone come in and watch this with me so I have another excuse to watch it ).
Old 07-24-2002, 06:02 PM   #14
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I'm buying the VHS from rogers cuz i'll be able to afford it ($16 yay!! wow i'm poor...) and cuz they'll give me 7 free 7 day rentals if i do! muhhahaa!! not that there will be anything worth renting once i OWN fotr

Old 07-24-2002, 06:13 PM   #15
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I'll just be renting this one, but when the second DVD comes out, I'm sure to buy it. I'd love to get my hands on all that extra footage.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:17 PM   #16
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Maybe I'll invite some people over (off the streets, please, anyone come in and watch this with me so I have another excuse to watch it ).
I'll bring the popcorn!
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:31 PM   #17
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Erawyn
. i want the one with half hour of extra footage!!!!!!!!
Amen. Luckily, both the DVD and VHS coming out in November will have the extra half hour. You have to decide on other bases - like whether you want to buy a DVD player, and figure out how to hook both VCR and DVD up to your TV without going nuts, or throw away your VCR which seems silly because it works perfectly well . . .I want both . . . we'll see.

"Not that there will be anything worth renting once I OWN FoTR."

That is a problem, I noticed that when I was in the midst of going to FotR frequently, I had no urge whatsoever so see anything else. (that was a 3 or 4 month period!) I still havent seen A Beautiful Mind.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:20 PM   #18
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

My mom can be so cool sometimes. She said "We are buying the 1st edition DVD as a good, classic addition to our video library. But we can still buy you the 2nd editon as a birthday or christmas present." I wasn't sure I had heard correctly. But I did.
We just got a DVD player for free with our new car. It was a pretty good deal!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Old 07-24-2002, 10:51 PM   #19
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

nooooooo

i have to wait till november to get the one w/ extra footage?? not fair! i was all set to buy it when it came out on august 6th!

Quote:
I still havent seen A Beautiful Mind.
meh. it was only sort of good.

Old 07-24-2002, 11:48 PM   #20
kennebecc
Hobbit

FOtR DVD

Well if you live in Region 1 the Fellowship of the Ring DVD is in stock and available right now:

http://www.play.com/

Maybe . . if it's not a mistake.

Last edited by kennebecc : 07-24-2002 at 11:52 PM.
Closed Thread