Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-15-2002, 10:56 PM   #1
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Now the dust has settled - most moving part of FotR

OK, after about my 30th viewing, even I skip bits.

But... the bits I keep coming back to is....

Moria.

Most specifically, the part from where Gandalf says 'I have no memory of this place', up to where Gimli finds the tomb of Balin.

If I'm in an action mood, I watch Moria + the end (Amon hen, eerrrrr right?), but for sheer replay value it has to be Gandalf speaking intimately with Frodo (which makes Frodo's memories of Ganalf at the end so much more moving) about Gollum, pity etc. (how exactly did Ian NOT get best supporting actor again?), followed by to my mind one of the best matchings of music with intent - the sweeping crescendo as we see Moria.

I'm drunk now, so tears possibly don't count, but I DO know that watching this bit sober is the closest I've ever come to 'deep emotion on tap'.

Well, I've watched it enough to know something - that FotR is for me one of the most moving films I'll ever see.

It's still a long time to the DVD release, so if anyone is interested in a copy, let me know at gerbil@fourthage.net, because I know I wouldn't deny anyone the chance to see such a classic until the higher quality extended version comes out on DVD.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:41 AM   #2
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

The part where the Fellowship comes out of Moria thinking Gandalf is dead always brings me to tears.

Can't wait until TT though - that's the really sad, moving stuff, at least for me.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 05:31 PM   #3
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
The part where the Fellowship comes out of Moria thinking Gandalf is dead always brings me to tears.

Oh yes, definitely, me too!

(But didn't this thread already happen before??? Oh well, if it did, it was probably way back on Dec. 20th. )

Other moving parts for me...when Frodo first picked up the ring. Don't ask...but it just spoke of a beginning of something really horrible but wonderful at the end. It just gave me something to think about, really. A single line that really moved me was Galadriel's line, "Even the smallest person can change the course of time" (I know, I'm misquoting, sorry.) This is probably because I AM a small person, though...Oh well, I still loved that. I cannot wait until ROTK. But it looks like I'm going to have to!!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 08:03 PM   #4
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
For me the one part that kicks my emotions into violent spasms of pity,anguish,anger,and greif is the one part from where Boromir starts getting shot to the end of the movie. Boromirs last line "I would have followed you...my captian...my brother...my king" just brings the tears to my eyes every time. It's like he finally lets Aragorn become king over him, not ranger, not leader, not lord, but king. THAT is one of the coolest things in LOTR is the acceptance of Aragorn by Boromir. I also thought the anger and anguish on Merry and Pippin's(Specially Pippins) faces get me goin' too. But the scene where Pippin is lying on the ground outside of Moria and is weeping unconsolably is just a heart puller. But then Mister I-have-no-idea-what-being-compassionate-or-grief-filled-means spoils the whole scene by not letting them weep.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Gandalf's fall into the abyss, emotionally speaking, was perfectly executed. That's the scene I would point to, in answering this question.

I would also agree with sentiments regarding the emotional power of Boromir being shot down, yet not going down without a fight... and Frodo and Sam crossing the Anduin at the end.

In a film so built on visual spectacle, I was actually surprised by how well its execution tapped into the emotional level. That's what really made the movie work for me.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 11:06 PM   #6
XRogue
Elven Warrior

I think Aragorn felt upset at Gandalf's death, Sam, he just couldn't let the rest of 'em stay put to grieve. They were lucky to come out in daylight, and had to put some distance between them and the Orcs before nightfall. No choice.

That scene gets me every time, and when Gandalf and Frodo lock eye contact right before he falls.......ooomph.

When Frodo comforts Bilbo right after the eye-popping thing...

When Sam is going after the boat, gets hauled out and so on.....
Old 06-18-2002, 02:41 AM   #7
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I thought it was great how Merry, Pippin and Sam (I think it was them) were crying after Gandalf fell. Not just tears, but full on bawling thier eyes out. You don't see many men (of the male gender, you know what I mean) crying like that in movies.

Another emotional scene was at the end when that Urak-hai was going to shoot Boromir at point blank range, before Aragorn got involved. When I first saw it, I thought he was going to shoot Boromir.

Oh yeah, and the start, the Last Alliance. When I first saw the movie my mouth was just hanging open for about 5 minutes. That was so so scary!
Old 06-18-2002, 03:19 AM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
"I would have followed you...my captian...my brother...my king"
Really?! But it's so corny!
Old 06-18-2002, 03:34 AM   #9
Garina
Elf Lord

It would have been corny if the acting hadn't been so superb!

The most moving bit for me was when Pippin and Merry realise that Frodo is going off on his own, and they distract the orcs. They were so brave! (recovers from weepy fit)
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 04:30 AM   #10
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

For me, there were many, very moving parts. Including Gandalf's fall into Moria, Boromir's death, and Merry and Pippin distracting the Orcs for Frodo.

The bit of Boromir's death, "My captain, my brother, my king," I found to moving rather than corny, because, I agree with Garina, the acting was amazing.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 11:50 AM   #11
Valacirca
Hobbit

When Boromir is dying. The looks on his face and on Merry´s face are the most moving ones for me.
But when he calls Aragorn his king and captain... that was just plain silly in my opinion.
Valacirca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 04:21 PM   #12
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

The most moving part for me was on the Anduin river when Frodo just saved Sam...that was so touching. It is very rare that you see two males show such love and concern for each other...awwwwww
Another moving part is when Pippin and Merry see Boromir getting shot by Lurtz...the look on their faces is just undescribable really.

(I am feeling very sentimental at the moment)

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 04:51 PM   #13
Draken
Elf Lord

I agree with cass, for sheer cinematic jaw droppingness the opening battle scene of the Last Alliance was breathtaking. It really made me sit up and think - whoa, this is going to be SERIOUSLY good.

As to most moving, the final flight out of Moria onto the hillside after Gandalf's fall wins for me. Boromir's death...well I'm wary of death scenes with noble last words...they seem a little contrived. I'm also terrified that in a similar situation I might say something really stupid for posterity. Like: "Aragorn...erm...will you make sure someone feeds my pet rabbit? Ta."

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 06:01 PM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Valacirca

But when he calls Aragorn his king and captain... that was just plain silly in my opinion.
Thank you!
Old 06-18-2002, 06:09 PM   #15
Eruviel Greenleaf

Oh, I forgot...also the very last bit, with Frodo and Sam in Emyn Muil heading off to Mordor. I think it's the music there, or something.

I admit, after about the 6th or 7th viewing, Boromir's last words seem rather...very...silly. But I didn't think so the first few times I saw it.

The Last Alliance battle was incredible, though

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-18-2002, 06:20 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh, come one, people. Tolkien would NEVER write such corny dialogue in that fashion. I'm ashamed of Peter Jackson, and I disown him!
Old 06-18-2002, 06:26 PM   #17
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Oh, come one, people. Tolkien would NEVER write such corny dialogue in that fashion. I'm ashamed of Peter Jackson, and I disown him!
There's worse, more corny dialogue than that piece

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-18-2002, 06:56 PM   #18
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Quote:
I think Aragorn felt upset at Gandalf's death, Sam, he just couldn't let the rest of 'em stay put to grieve.
Well if he WAS greived over his death he didn't show it. I mean talking to that guy must have been like talking to a rock.
I cant understand why you guys are getting on PJ's case for having Sean say "I would have followed you my capitian,my brother,my king"when Veggo couldn't even keep his english accent for one fourth of the movie. :eek
Dont tell me none of you noticed that. In Bree he spoke in an English accent and then at Weathertop he was speaking in American English. And he was so matter of fact.
On Weathertop when all the hobbits are crying,freaking out, and having one heck of a hullabaloo what does Master I-know-how-to-hold-a-sword do? He matter of factly tells them their cousin and master has been stabbed with a Morgul Blade and runs a very high chance of becoming a wraith and then what does he do? He slings poor Frodo over his shoulder like a sack of taters instead of letting him ride Bill like he was supposed to.
And we have to put up with Master I-know-how-to-act-like-a-vegetable in TTT AND in ROTK! NOOOOOOO!!!!
Sam
ps.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 12:32 AM   #19
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I didn't notice Viggo's change in accent, but I do agree that what Boromir said to Aragorn at the end was a bit corny. In the book, I don't think Boromir would have said that (I know he didn't, but from what I judge of his character). PJ still rules though!
Old 06-19-2002, 04:14 AM   #20
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
[B] I do agree that what Boromir said to Aragorn at the end was a bit corny.
Yes, the book is better: "Farewell, Aragorn! Go to Minas Tirith and save my people. I have failed."
But I suspect when you're dying you don't care whether you're being corny or not.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote