Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-12-2002, 08:04 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Good anime

Well there is a worst anime thread what about a good anime thread?

The first anime I really like was Battle of the Planets ( the sandy frank US version of the late 70's not that crap theu did for the cartoon network) It was called Gotchaman in Japan

The there was Star Blazers ( Space cruiser Yamato)

I would have liked to have seen Robotech more but it came on while i was at work.

Then in the 90's I really got into Guyver, the First of the North Star, Ninja scrolls etc.

But as far as a WELL done story that was artistic i'd have to say Vampire Princess Miyu

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:09 AM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

YES! Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers! I too loved those! I wish they still had them on TV.

I haven't seen much other anime, but I'd love to check some out. I've had some recommendations, but just haven't found them yet.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:47 AM   #3
aldesign
Elven Warrior

DRAGON BALL Z
100% greatness!

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 11:10 PM   #4
Jadera
Elven Warrior

*grins evily*
Where shall I begin?

Right now I'm really into Weiß Kreuz. Haven't seen it yet, (darn expensive DVDs...oi...) But the art and storyline are fairly original.

I like Cowboy Bebop. At first I was only into it for the music, but the storyline sucked me in after a while. It's kind of like a grown-up version of Outlaw Star (which I despise). It has fairly decent art.

Gundam Wing. Oh yes, we're obsessed. (My best friend and I.) I do have to say it has really bad art, especially the manga (comic book version), but they cleaned it up for the anime. It was the second anime I ever got into, and I've been writing fan fics ever since...

The Legend of the Snow White Pretear. Very cool. Highly reccomend it.

I liked the Big-O when it aired on Cartoon Network. It did resemble Batman in a way...but nevertheless...*shrug* No rhyme or reason, but it was really good.

Strictly art speaking, Fushuggi Yuugi (sp?) has beautiful art.

There's lots more, but I'll quit rambling now.

Well...as for DBZ....bad, bad, plot lines 89% of the time...but it's unnervingly addicting...

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 12:26 AM   #5
mirrille
Elven Warrior

My current favourites are
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (His and Her Circumstances). It starts out light, has very funny situations, but mixed in there are heartbreaking stories that I can only describe as beautifully poignant. (The episode where they go and tell the father's story had me in tears) When once asked what cartoon character I most resembled, I thought for a few seconds, and then decided on Miyazawa. I think I relate to her very well, so maybe that's one reason I like the series so much.
Trigun. Similarly, it starts out light and fluffy, and then progressively gets darker and more serious. Wolfwood is coolness itself.

Some other series that I like:
Fruits Basket - crazy funny. Girl falls in with family where people are cursed to change into cute animals when "huggled" by members of the opposite sex. Cute cute cute, but there were a few places where I almost cried because everyone has a sad story behind them.
Maison Ikkoku - one of the classics. slow in some places, but very worth it. 92 episodes. I watched it in about 2 weeks. I then gave it to my mom, who took less than a week. That's how good it was.
Hellsing - a vampire story, but I haven't seen it all yet. Very stylish and cool.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 12:27 PM   #6
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
I really like Kamikaze kaito Jeanne, Fushigi Yugi and Gundam Wing! Revolutionary Girl Utena and anything Clamp are also on my list of faves!!!
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:11 PM   #7
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
Good anime
there is no such thing.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 04:57 PM   #8
mirrille
Elven Warrior

HOBBIT, don't be tiresome.

What kind of anime do people like?

I like light happy stuff that surprises you every once in a while by weaving in some beautiful sad story when you're not expecting it. The series I mentioned before are mostly like that.

But I also like some of the darker, more serious, moody stuff.
I've never seen Rurouni Kenshin, the TV series, but I did see the prequel OAVs. Very nice. I think the North American release was instead called Samurai X, for no reason that I can see, but oh well..
Gunnm (whose name was inexplicably changed to Battle Angel Alita)was also nice and depressing.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:47 AM   #9
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

I don't know if anyone has heard of Zoids... but I really like it! It's hard to explain what it's about, so you can watch Cartoon Network to find out on weekdays.

My other favorite is the Tenchi Muyo series, or maybe the Tenchi in Tokyo series... ah whatever!

I like Cardcaptors and Yu-Gi-Oh too.
Brokehorn4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 11:20 PM   #10
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT

there is no such thing.
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 07:52 PM   #11
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I really like Fruit Basket and Chobits, though chobits is sorta silly. There are 3 tenchi Muyo series that all retell the same story: No Need For Tenchi, Tenchi Muyo, and Tenchi Universe. I like Inuyasha and yuyuhaksho (theres spaces somewhere in there) a lot more though.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:18 PM   #12
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

The only anime movies I've seen had lots of sex scenes. Is that normal? I'm not educated in the ways of anime.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 07:42 PM   #13
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Sex scences are not normal. Depending on what you're see a lot of intennendo is normal. Anime tends to be graphically correct, which is why I don't reccomend and DB episode where Goku gets panted.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 11-12-2002, 07:46 PM   #14
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille
Maison Ikkoku - one of the classics. slow in some places, but very worth it. 92 episodes. I watched it in about 2 weeks. I then gave it to my mom, who took less than a week. That's how good it was.
Wait you got to see all of Maison Ikkuku? WHAT HAPPENED AT THE END?!!!!

Old 11-18-2002, 07:10 AM   #15
Kallasilya
Hobbit

Wow!!!

YAY!!!! GO DRAGONBALLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.... erm, that's about all I have to say for the moment
Old 11-20-2002, 07:33 PM   #16
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

How are they going to get rid of Majin Buu? His constant regeneration gets on my nerves, and every time the Z fighters seem to have the upper hand (like Vegito) Buu just sucks himself back together without a scratch. Where does he end?
Old 11-20-2002, 10:43 PM   #17
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I have no clue how they killed him but the last episodes of DBZ are all called the death of Majin buu so they manage it somehow

Old 12-15-2002, 10:15 AM   #18
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Until VERY recently I haven't been interested in Anime, but I have really got into Escaflowne. I love the music.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 11:55 AM   #19
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

I love Cowboy Bebop, by far my fav. anime. The music and animation blows me away everytime. Love it!
Others I really like...Ghost in the Shell, Utena, Record of Lodoss war, and I have to admit I kinda like DBZ, its simple and you need something like that after a sad one like Cowboy Bebop.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 05:41 PM   #20
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

Cowboy Bebop is the best thing to come out of Japan since Nintendo.

DBZ sucks.

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote