Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2000, 07:00 PM   #1
Blazer Babe

I don't think so....

I don't know what the general opinion here is, so I am sorry if I offend anyone, but I have never seen a movie that did full justice to a book. So if I love a book I refuse to see the movie because I'll just end up getting mad and veiwing it as a hack job.
Old 10-05-2000, 02:23 AM   #2
anduin

Re: I don't think so....

Welcome to the board, Blazer Babe. Have you ever read The Godfather?
Old 10-05-2000, 10:52 AM   #3
Ghost of Gilthalion

A lot of folk have grave misgivings. The important thing about viewing a movie like this is to watch it for its own sake. In other words, think of it as a stand-alone.

Since you realize going in, that cinematic adaptations are invariably different, appreciate it for what it is.

No one will get it absolutely right. Even in the horrible animated versions (though I kind of liked THE HOBBIT), there were some likeable things.

This group down in New Zealand seems to have their heart in it and are really making a great effort. For all my misgivings about the changes to Arwen, for all my regrets that Bombadil is to be ignored, I expect to see one of the best movies of all time.

And I will have the satisfaction of watching the excited faces of movie goers who never read the book, and knowing that I know a better telling.

Unfortunately, the experience of reading the tale for the very first time will be lost to many many people, who will pick up the book afterwards, and not know the wonder of first discovery. On the other hand, many who otherwise would not have, will read the books afterwards and more besides and be the better for it.

Unless, for all the special effects, incredible sets, great casting, and other talent at hand, they just really do a pitiful, 2-dimensional, cardboard cutout, stiff acting, belaboured direction, sort of movie, that is...
Old 10-05-2000, 01:24 PM   #4
Film Hobbit

Who CARES if it is as good as the book. Let it stand on its own and watch it for its own sake. If nothing else we should all be happy to see our favorite books brought to life.
Old 10-05-2000, 01:24 PM   #5
Film Hobbit

And another thing, books and film are such totally different mediums that it really isn't fair to compare the two to rigidly.
Old 10-05-2000, 01:37 PM   #6
X Rogue

Guys, have a little faith. Tolkien himself is on record as thinking these books were unstageable and unfilmable. But I think it can be done with modern technology if (big IF) a decent screenplay is used, and the direction and final editing of the films is done with care and love for the original writing. Yes, I know it is complicated (Oy, do I know it) and I remember watching the cartoon attempts and the hash that was made out of Dune when so many things about the movie were good and so many were just atrocious... I hope and pray that it will work, I will be sitting in the theater after the release waiting for the lights to go down, saying to myself "Please,*please* be good....." and I will probably pick it apart afterwards just like everyone else, but I think that these books can be filmed, and filmed well. I have never seen a movie that was as good as its' book anyway(think GWTW) but it can still be good and not goofy. Hope is a *good* thing.