Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2002, 06:25 PM   #1
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Pets

I am wondering if there are any dogoholics on this chat board. For I am one and would like to hear about the funny or cute or cool things your dog does. But if preferd any other pet would be fine.
(by the way if this thread is takin please shut this one down.)
Oh and of course horses and wolves if there are any horse and wolf lovers post me.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:00 PM   #2
Ben
Retired Ent

I don't like animals (probably because I'm allergic to them )

I especially hate how they lick you and jump all over you.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 10:46 PM   #3
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I have a dog whose name is Sally and she is a black lab/ black bulldog mix. She jumps all over the place and can lick me in the face while I'm standing up. I'm about 5' 11" tall, so that's an accomplishment. I used to have a Black lab named Buddy who weighed about 80 pounds and thought he was a chihuahua. He would crawl up into your lap and pretty much crush it because he weighed so much. He would also growl at his back legs and try to chew on them. He was a strange dog, but I still loved him. I am definitely a dog person.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 11:34 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm a cat person. But then, I had a few run ins with my parents rottweiler...
Old 05-18-2002, 11:50 PM   #5
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I don't mind dogs that much but I really like cats. Cats lick but dogs tend to slobber all over.

I like the way my siamese used to use me as a pillow when it was alive.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 11:54 PM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

pets....?

they taste good

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 12:22 AM   #7
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

...rovided they're shaved first and marinated well.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 01:10 AM   #8
Faramir
Elven Warrior

I love dogs! I'd have one if my mom wasn't allergic. I love animals!
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 02:36 AM   #9
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Oh, I could go on forever about my gorgeous maltese called Tuppence. She is so cute. She does so many funny things! She hops into my parents bed in the night and goes under the blankets because she is cold. She loves to jump into my bed in the morning and lick my face. She always growls at other dogs when we go for a walk. Whenever anyone has food she goes and "sucks up" to them. I wish I had a scanner so I could have a picture of her as my avatar. I also have 5 fish. I am a self confessed animal lover and vegetarian. I am a dogoholic!
Old 05-19-2002, 07:31 AM   #10
Garina
Elf Lord

I have an absolutely gorgeous but insane Springer Spaniel called George. He's not very bright but very protective and cuddly!
I have a cat called Bob - he's also cute but I don't appreciate dead frogs, birds, and mice being strewn across the floor - eeewww!

Do not mention eating dogs, or I will torment you with excruciating puns forever more.
I'm serious.
I know some terrible ones.
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:02 AM   #11
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I used to have a dog but we had to give it away after just a month because my mum developed an allergic reaction to it. It was a west higland terrier called Casper and he's absolutely gorgeous! we gave him to my aunt so i govisi him.

he can do some cool tricks.

He can dance
shake hands
and guess which hand your holding a treat in by tapping it!

i missmy dooggieee....

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 12:15 PM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I prefer cats. Dogs drool too much for my taste and they are too dependant. I do like dogs, but I'm against the pure-bred-dog-rules, bastarddogs-are-useless-principle. All that overbreeding left most dog-races with genetic defects.

So cats it is, although sadly you'll never truly can know a cat's mind.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:41 PM   #13
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I like dogs. Infortunatly I have fish... my mom allergic to cats and I'm too so it's hard to like them when you can't touch them.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 05:42 PM   #14
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I love cats. I have had a number of them. I'm not very lucky with them. They either take off and I don't see them again, or they get hit by a car. Right now, I have a dog that I have had for 15 years named Buttercup. She is a little mut. Really cute with long hair over her eyes. She is getting so old though and is now almost blind. I will deeply miss her when she goes.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 07:40 PM   #15
Sicirus
Elf Lord

I love dogs. I have two adopted dogs one from a race track(greyhound and one from a dog rescue person (german short haird pointer) They are both so adorable and funny. My greyhound is now 10 and my GSHP is 9. They would both wake me up at 6 in the morning. They are also both very spoild by me. Plus they prefer my bed compared to theres. I treat them like they were my kids. I just love them and would be depressed to lose them.
Old 05-19-2002, 07:53 PM   #16
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Look at my avatar and sig. I love cats. I have four cats, one insane cockatiel, and a school of snapper that swim up to the dock whenever I cross the dock. The cats have fortunately stoped swinging on the birdcage, so Tofu (the cockateil) has recovered a bit from his insanity, but he still won't let anyone near him, and his beak hurts!
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 08:07 PM   #17
Elvet
Elven Warrior

I have 2 dogs and 5 cats. Sam is our oldest dog. As a senior, he has some difficulties - he's deaf and has poor eyesight to boot - but he still enjoys walks, dinner and sleeping. Tyler is a 3 1/2 yr. old heinz 57. He is truly my husband's companion - he loves going to the fishing camp and running loose in the woods - something he doesn't get to do much in town. Remy is my oldest cat. He is a siamese and is the only pet we purchased - the rest all coming from our local SPCA. Andrew is a big orange tabby. He adores shrimp and any smoked meats. Casey is our only outdoors cat. He keeps me company in the garden. Marty is another siamese we rescued. She had been abused and was very sick when we adopted her. She has since recovered, and is the most vocal cat I have ever had. Bridget is the youngest and she is a long haired calico. She always looks as though she has a bad hair day.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:18 PM   #18
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Rosie~ Nine year old long furred calico cat queen of the house. Does NOTHING exciting whatsoever except suffocate you with her fur when you're trying to sleep. Alot like Fatty Bolger.
Patches~ Playful, talkative,fiesty,mischevious,black and white cat equivalent to Pippin. What else does there need to be said?
Critter~ A mutt that was bestowed apon us a few years ago. Funny lookin' and pitiful when it comes to begging like food. Grey and ugly/adorable face with large puppy eyes. TOTALLY Merry. All the way YEP!(Movie version. Always hungry)
Cubby/Cumberbuns~full grown shirp of a snotty brat cat that weighs a ton and HATES being cuddled,coddled,or petted. Hates being held close or petted on the stomach. Whines when he meows. Loves only ME! When your pet is a Sackville~Baggins THAT is NOT a good thing.
Kirby~An algea eater with the temprament of...a lump on Gollums boat. Brown, fat and pretty generous when it comes to sharing his water with the cats who use his fish bowl as a drinking bowl.
Fifteen Chickens~Ummm stupid,dense and pretty ummm DUMB THIER personalities are pretty much the same. Worried.
That's about it when it comes to pets. Of course there ARE the frogs and snakes we capture and try to tame but it never works.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 07:17 AM   #19
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I had two dogs which both recently died. Yay!

Anyway, they were both predominantly maltese, but one of them had a noticeable pekingese influence. I only noticed that after she died.

We put that dog on a pedestal. I never thought that someone describing himself as rational would anthropomorphize a dog to such an extent.

When she was about 4 weeks old, my brother accidentally stood on her back, nearly killing her. She grew up to be lazy, and overweight. Non-sequitur? Maybe...

Anyway, her best trick IMO was her trademark "roar". Never have I heard such a sound eminating from the vocal cords of a dog. This sound effect usually caused me to succumb to her bidding, ie dog biscuits, snacks and whatever. She slept her days away, farted here and there, and went outside to facillitate evacuation of faeces and urine.

As another persuasion device, she perfected the art of going from the "standing on hind legs position" to the "sitting on hind legs with front legs in air position". This, combined with her roar, which was not loud by any means (although particularly musical), drew me into the most irrational thoughts, and basically acted as the provocation of my emotional side. I never realized this at the time.

Anyway, she lived her lazy, comfortable life for about 12 years, and I don't think I perceived a noticeable drop in her "cuteness" factor. She developed another persuasion tool at around 8 years, the "waddle-walk" - I found that particularly amusing (basically just shifting weight from left to right while walking (or "trotting") forward, wagging tail, and sometimes roaring).

In January this year, she started showing signs of destress: instead of sitting on our laps in the lounge while watching TV or whatever, she would lie on the floor, facing away from us. We thought nothing of it, maybe a little indigestion...

Her state worsened, she gradually ate less and less, until she would eat nothing at all. She was taken to the vet, and given an injection and other medication - it was not diagnosed as anything serious. That visit to the vet, along with others as the days progressed, proved to be fruitless. She just became less and less motivated to do anything. Eventually it came to the point where she was not evacuating the faeces and urine from her digestive tract anymore.

We were still hopeful, however. We had an irrational hope that whatever medication she was taking, would sort her out. Or that the symptons would just dissapear somehow.

Eventually the decision was made to put her down. But a week before that decision, we were given a different type of medication to administer to her orally. This proved to be incredibly difficult, as she would refuse to consume the tablets, either by spitting them out or struggling to get free of the grip needed to get the tablets into her mouth effectively.

But none of that helped. I hadn't heard the roar for about 5 weeks. I remember on the day before she died how I lay on the kitchen floor next to her, trying in vain to get her to drink at least one drop of water, just one. She wouldn't. Her eyes were open, but covered in a pus-like substance, which I remember cleaning. She was totally devoid of reaction to external stimuli.

I left for work the next day, without checking up on her. My dad came home early and took her to the vet to be ended. Apparently, the vet said, she died shortly before arriving. She was taken home and buried in the back yard. I sat in my room during that event. So basically, I never really said "goodbye" in any sense, and never helped with the burial. Yay.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 07:39 AM   #20
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Garina
I have an absolutely gorgeous but insane Springer Spaniel called George.
I have a Springer Spaniel too!
My Dog history:
Sadie, the Springer Spaniel - I grew up with her, but then about 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or so years ago she was very old and died.
Belle, the other Springer Spaniel - We still have her, she is a great dog. She likes to like people, but I don't let her. My dad sits in the computer chair andd lets licks dad's hand. Gross.
Brittany, the Brittany Spaniel - The people who were selling her wanted to get rid of her because she could undo her kennel and then go and let all of thier other dogs out! She was brillant. She started letting my neigabors dog out all the time and he was getting really mad at his wife for leaving the fence opened. We don't have her any more because my mom didn't like her.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote