Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2002, 10:19 PM   #1
Lady of the Wood
Sapling

Merry + strut = WHAT?????

My first real post...YEAH!!

ok, here is the low-down-funky-down( say that 3xs fast ) :

All day today this has been runing though my mind. It invloves the followong scene from FotR,
Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin are running though the shire at nigh away from the Black Riders,
Sam: "anything?"
Frodo: "nothing"
Pippin: " Waht is going on?"
Merry: that Black Rider was looking for something.....or someone, Frodo?"

that is all fine and dandy by recall or notice how Merry walks up to Frodo. He has this little strut thing going on. not only is that little dance/strut funny enough but then I likened it to John Trovolta in "Saturday Night Fever".
HEHAHEHAHEHAHEHA

Just think, Merry in a white polester suit and hibbot caoe, walking through the streets of Hobbitton with that little strut of his and the theme music from "Saturday Nigh Fever"

when will it end..............

Sometimes I just make myself an omelet

*sigh*

Old 05-13-2002, 10:33 PM   #2
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I am a bit confused, but this should be in the Movies forum.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 10:36 PM   #3
Lady of the Wood
Sapling

sorry, like i said it was my first post, i'll learn from this shameful embarssing experience.

at least i thought it was funny....right........RIGHT?
Old 05-13-2002, 10:43 PM   #4
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I don't know that I particularly noticed Merry's "strut", but I'll take your word for it that it's funny.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 10:46 PM   #5
Lady of the Wood
Sapling

yeh, that may be, mabye i watch the movie too closley now or something
Old 05-14-2002, 08:34 PM   #6
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

lol..im picturing it now ...
Old 05-14-2002, 10:46 PM   #7
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I like the little mouth chin thing he does. When he says "Wot was tha'?" he does this little thing with his face that is too funny. And then when he does"Tha' black rider was lookin' for somethin'. Or someone" his chin sticks out in this really determined look. I think it's funny. But I noticed the strut. He's cute.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 10:47 AM   #8
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Lady - I think its funny too , so as my old gaffer says ' hansom is as hansom does ' - If you like Merry strutting then dont say sorry to anyone , every hobbit has a strut occasionally ! By the way , this is the movie forum isnt it ?
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:49 AM   #9
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I just checked (don't ask how) and it just looks like he is walking down a hill, which makes him walk a bit funny. Its kind of funny now that you mention it.
Old 05-18-2002, 07:41 AM   #10
Polkat
Enting

Location: yateley which is a small and rather boring town in england!
i agree.

plus is interesting new funny moment that hasnt been brought up before.

i recon merry was trying to scare frodo into admiting why the blackrider was following him. didn't work though [he he]

v amused by funny walk but it is more his tone of voice that cracks me up. being threatened by someone 3ft tall isn't any scarier just coz you're only 3ft as well.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:32 AM   #11
Faeirex
Hobbit

Location: A place inside my head, where none but myself dare go.
Gollum Cracks me up

That scene just cracks me up! Not because of the walk, but because of the 'menacing' tone of voice, coupled with Merry's permanently dumb expression. Does he really believe that he's tough!?!

Have any of u guys seen the special LOTR edition of Empire? There's a pic of the four guys playing the hobbits in there, all weraing what they appear to feel are cool and menacing expressions. Its absolutely amazing! If you haven't seen it, I'll scan it in. Always good for a laugh when you're feeling down.

~Fae
Am becoming disenchanted with palantir guy. Refuses to send me photo, except of one v. large eyeball. Says he is shy but I rather suspect he is fat, or perhaps hairy. Have heard some v. bad stories about palantir relationships. Should probably cool it for a while.

Well, wouldn't you know, palantir guy turned out to be Dark Lord of Mordor. Just my luck. Could have been worse, I guess. Sauron not far or hairy, just disembodied force of evil. Must go now, have to raise massive demon army to scourge the earth. Also, have manicure appointment. Is no easy task keeping nails pointy.

Am tired of climbing up and down eight million stairs just to taunt Gandalf. Should have imprisoned him in easy-access dungeon where could taunt more effectively, and would not have to wait until after breakfast.

Have crossed orcs with goblin men in caverns below Isengard. V. tedious experience as orcs and goblin men most reluctant to breed, even with dinner and flowers. Next time will try something easier, such as breeding goblins and cheerleaders to create super-perky army that can travel by day and will not complain about pink uniforms.

Did not know when decided to make demon army for Sauron that would be so darn messy. Curse my decision to be Saruman the White. Should have decided to be Saruman the Muddy Brown, or Saruman the Faintly Greenish. White just shows all the slime.
Faeirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 02:29 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

The Merry Brandybuck/Tony Manero connection is a bit of a stretch for me, but the scene is odd. Of course, I love the movie and am perfectly fine with it not being perfect (tho it practically is!). This must be the "Headlight Scene" I've read about in other posts. I agree about the strut probably just being walking downhill in hobbit feet, but the dialog doesn't match the lighting. When they are under the tree with the spiders it's daylight. After the "almost "encounter with the Nazgul, the first thing said probably would be "What was that thing", but when Merry asks it, the sun has gone down. Twilight time takes a good half hour, so were the hobbits just running from tree to tree in silence for a half hour or so? I don't think Merry was trying to look menacing, maybe just serious for once. I love the way he says "Buckleberry Ferry" with great determination!

Last edited by Lizra : 05-19-2002 at 02:41 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 10:30 PM   #13
Kalimac
Enting

>>. After the "almost "encounter with the Nazgul, the first thing said probably would be "What was that thing", but when Merry asks it, the sun has gone down<<

Not true. When the four hobbits leave the tree root and run it is daylight. When they all stop, Merry slides down a hill with Sam and Pippin beside him . . Frodo is holding the ring when Merry asks, "What was that?" Frodo stares at the Ring in his hand. All in daylight. Scene than shifts to twilight, the sun has clearly gone down, but it is still somewhat light. We see the Wraith searching. Next scene is the hobbits going from tree to tree, running, they stop for that brief conversation. Merry does walk funny, but it is because he is coming down a hill. (It is cute. ) It than starts to get pretty dark, except, of course, for those 'headlights' . .

I actually love that entire sequence, because it reminded me that hobbits were able to hide easily from 'big' people. I suppose that is one of the reasons they were able to stay 'hidden' from the rest of ME and Sauron's eye for so long.
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 11:16 PM   #14
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

ok Kalimac, Hi! Well, I'll check again (a good excuse to watch it again!) Sounds like you've studied it thouroghly, I must be going senile, or blind!
Old 05-25-2002, 07:12 AM   #15
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

I have to disagree with you about the John Travolta Strut theory. I think Merry was just sticking out his large Hobbity beer gut which changes his centre of balance as he walks, and therefore makes him look like he's trying to be a tough guy. So Kudo's to Dominic Monaghan for his portrayal, and I especially liked the effort Orlando put into perfecting Legolas's floating-type walk too.

P.S. Anyone else think Gandalf should have had a limp, just to make him more interesting?
Old 05-27-2002, 10:41 PM   #16
Kalimac
Enting

Pictures

Here's the sequence in pictures:

Frodo looks at Ring in daylight

Merry says, What was that

Blackrider in twilight

Hobbits follow Frodo down hill

Merry approaches Frodo

Merry says, That Black Rider was looking for something… or someone. Frodo?

Last edited by Kalimac : 05-27-2002 at 10:45 PM.
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 11:06 PM   #17
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hi Kalimac, I've been too busy to watch it yet but your pictures help. My problem was that I probably thought merry's lines were right together. A little choppy I guess.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:37 PM   #18
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

Who was it that said they had a pic of all the hobbits doing tough guy faces (but really the faces were not though at all). I haven't seen that picture so if you could scan in that picture it would be really nice!! hehehe please!
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 05:10 AM   #19
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

lol! i agree!
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:03 AM   #20
Gorhiriel
Elven Warrior

*laughs*

I saw le strut. I think it's cute

BOROMIR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"And anon shall I Sail into the West: with the setting sun I shall remove my light from this world..."
Gorhiriel is offline   Reply With Quote