Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2002, 09:24 AM   #1
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

The decline of entmoot

Has this site suffered from FOTR:LOTR the movie coming out? It seems our discussions have fallen from what they were like before the movie and we have become just another message board, slang, misspellings, abbreviations, and all. We were mentioned in the Yahoo magazine, but are we living up to their description of this site?
( I am not insulting anyone, but just asking your opinion on the character of this board.)
Old 05-09-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

I hav'nt been at this site for very long , but I have found it to be by far the best / most siuted to me of all the sites that I can find. How was the site different before the movie , I hope it wasnt one of those elitist sites that has its head up its own crack of doom.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 10:38 AM   #3
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Define "Elitist site." If you mean that we had discussions deeper than "What general would you have fight in the war of the rings" in the LOTR books forum, you're right.

(We had questions like that, but deeper ones as well.)
Old 05-09-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

cant a site cater for all enthusiasts of all ages - personally I quite enjoy some of the more innocent questions and answers from some of the younger mooters ( enters ? mooters ? what are we called by the way ?)and also like to participate / read the banter between some of the grand masters who frequent the site. By ' elitist' I meant a site that takes everything far too seriously , that you have had to read' the sil' 95 times and speak at least 2 of Tolkiens better know languages - not a site like this one that covers all aspects that a site should, there are different areas for different topics , surely there is room for everyone ?
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Only in dreams
Old 05-09-2002, 11:49 AM   #5
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Hello! I have been away for some time but I am returned, for a few weeks..... I figured that this thread would be appropriate for my comeback....

I still enjoy Entmoot, although I was not a participant before the movie came out (not because I wasnt a fan, but because I was unaware so many others were!!! fabulous!! I am not alone! )
I think there is room for everyone and as the mass populace learns of Tolkien's genius, then certainly the site is going to change and flex with the types of people who are on board. But part of what attracted me to this site is the diversity- the hardcore-Elven-Lords-read-the-Sil-95-times type, the new travelers to Middle Earth awed by what they didnt know existed, and all of us decendents of Middle Earth characters inbetween. A mix of fantasy, reality, knowledge, humor, wisdom, and wide-eyed enthusiasm. 3 cheers for Entmoot!
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 11:51 AM   #6
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

YES. ITS ALL OUR FAULT. damn newbies. were spoiling it for you all. i think weve heard that enough now thankyou.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 11:53 AM   #7
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Hard - core Elven lords...... I like that , wonderfully stated !
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Only in dreams
Old 05-09-2002, 11:57 AM   #8
aldesign
Elven Warrior

the board seems ok to me,
i dont know what ur worring about.

only fing that could be a bummer, were if they shut this forum.

other than that, this is one of the best Boards on the net.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 02:11 PM   #9
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Maiybe it's a good board in the general messeges but this board supposed to be on LOTR and on JRR Tolkien and not on the general messeges.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 02:30 PM   #10
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Finmandos12
Define "Elitist site." If you mean that we had discussions deeper than "What general would you have fight in the war of the rings" in the LOTR books forum, you're right.

(We had questions like that, but deeper ones as well.)

hell i posted that thread to TRY and bring SOMETHING of the OLD moot back

but the hardcore elven lords have scouered most of the "DEEP" stuff

there's not that much left

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 02:37 PM   #11
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I agree that entmoot is in a decline, I wasn't here before the movie but even since January I've seen it get worse. The thing I don't understand is what you want to do about it. It's natural isn't it? Eventually the movie fans will either leave or learn enough about Tolkien to participate in the heavier discussions, and then you'll have your old board back. After the movie hype has worn down the board will become more serious. There isn't really much you can do about it unless you want to ban everyone who joined after Dec 19. No offense, but what is the point of complaining about it?
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 02:54 PM   #12
Radagast
Elven Warrior

The Entmoot is declining. I was here before the film came out and I have to say there was a higher standard of posting, a lot less internet abbreviations, and better grammar (with the exception of gollum, anyone remember him? The man with the Ph.D in English? *shudders*).
This board is about the works of JRR Tolkien and for discussing real life issues in the GM, not for discussing the works of Peter Jackson.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 02:56 PM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
There isn't really much you can do about it unless you want to ban everyone who joined after Dec 19.
IEP! Don't go giving them ideas!
Old 05-09-2002, 04:55 PM   #14
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Okay, the idea of visiting a board to me is to get away from the SERIOUSNESS of life. It's a place to, in simple terms, chill. I'm not here to have a contest on who knows the most about Tolkien, and I don't want to go much deeper into the meaning of it unless I was asking Tolkien himself to tell me all the secrets and meanings of his world and it's inhabitants. So, if you don't mind, I like the pink frilly stupidness of some people. I like the light-hearted threads and conversations. I don't come here to be serious - I come here to have fun.

If I wanted a place to be serious, I'd go to a cafe with a group of Tolkien enthusiasts, order a double-mocha latte, and talk about Arda until the sun burnt out.

But, really . . . who wants to go to a cafe when you have a McDonald's around the corner?

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 05-09-2002 at 05:02 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:17 PM   #15
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I dont know nothin' about websites BUT do you think that perhaps it would take away alot of bad grammer and stuff if THEY made a newbies forum somwhere else? I mean I've noticed the decline too and it's got me worried. Alot of people have been leaving and stuff. I DONT want to go back to the Barrowdowns. Admins what's gonna happen if all this continues? What'll you guys do with the spamming and all? Just questions that are worrying me.
A very worried,
Samwise of the Shire
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:34 PM   #16
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Okay, the idea of visiting a board to me is to get away from the SERIOUSNESS of life. It's a place to, in simple terms, chill. I'm not here to have a contest on who knows the most about Tolkien

Well stated, and I completely agree.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:47 PM   #17
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I love you guys too.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:52 PM   #18
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Radagast, were you? Um you registered in January. That would be after the movie came out.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 10:23 PM   #19
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Call me the eternal optimist, but I am. Entmoot's not declining. It's evolving. Deep discussions and mindless ones are going on side by side. Some may call that bad...but I think it's okay. Really, I haven't noticed that Entmoot is all that much more "dumbed down" than it was way back in September, when I registered. I was stupid when I came here. I didn't know the movie existed! But I was attracted by the casual approach. It was easy for me to get into conversations, and I still see entmoot this way. I really think all the movie has done is get a newer pool of fans into the circle. I've always liked it here. Including now.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 11:37 PM   #20
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
The Entmoot is declining. I was here before the film came out and I have to say there was a higher standard of posting, a lot less internet abbreviations, and better grammar (with the exception of gollum, anyone remember him? The man with the Ph.D in English? *shudders*).
I remember gollum, wasn't it a PhD is Psychology? That was after the movie came out, btw.

I just want to know what the point of worrying and complaining about it is. It's a perfectly natural thing for a board like this to have good periods and bad ones, as BoP said in the 'Closing GM' thread, why are you kicking the anthill?
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote