Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2002, 05:40 PM   #1
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

Anne McCaffery anyone?

I was scrolling through and noticed, no one had put up an Anne McCaffery thread! either no one readsher books except for me or something else. my second favorite set of books ( after LOTR which I have read 10 times!!!) are the Dragonriders of Pern series. my sister got tired of me reading the same Anne McCaffery books and dragged me to the library. She took me to the Dragonriders asle and told me that she would be back in a half-hour and was leaving me w/ my "shrine". Poor, misguided girl. She doesn't realize that my shrine is my room with the Tolkien books and Anne McCaffery books all in a pile. the thing is, which ones should I read first?????
I am Morwen, Lady of Darkness.

Her head was bowed,
from all the tears and pain,
but she would rise again
Lady of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 06:30 PM   #2
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i personally really really really loved the Rowan and Damia series, which includes The Rowan, Damia, Lyon's Pride, The Tower and the Hive, and Damia's Children.(did i miss any TwirlingString?) i thought the Dragonriders of Pern were ok, not terrible but not great. i really loved the Damia series tho.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 06:34 PM   #3
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
You did, Damia's Children. What's the matter with the pern books, I love them. menolly and sebel are cool, but the masterharper was my favorite character. I cried when he died. You also missed the series about talents that starts before the Rowan. It gives the history. To ride Peasus and Pegasus in Flight
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 08:08 PM   #4
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by TinuvielChild
i personally really really really loved the Rowan and Damia series, which includes The Rowan, Damia, Lyon's Pride, The Tower and the Hive, and Damia's Children.(did i miss any TwirlingString?)
Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString
You did, Damia's Children.
um TS, i listed Damia's Children. it was the last one in that list. see?

i didn't have a problem with Pern, it was merely that i didn't enjoy them as much as Damia/Rowan.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 08:15 PM   #5
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Opps, you'e right. Of the Perns, my fav was The White Dragon. She has another series I really like, but so far I'm stuck because I can't find the next book. It's really annoying, every time I find a book it's one that relapses and tells the story from another angle. I guess it starts with Dinosaur planet. I really loved the Ship the Sang and The Ship that Searched.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-27-2002, 10:28 PM   #6
TinuvielChild
Padawan

yeah, Veronica likes those too. i'm afraid that i got rather far behind on my Pern reading, mainly because i didn't find them as riveting as the Damia ones.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-28-2002, 08:26 PM   #7
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

Weird, I did! I must admit though, I haven't really read many of her other books. I mainly read Pern. I love them. her newest one, the skies of Pern, is really interesting. In the beginning, F'Lessan states that he needs to get rid of his reputation of being a womanizer. He then proceeds to make it obvious that he really like Tai. What to do?!(throws hands into air) I've often wondered what it's like to have a dragon to be a part of you. Did anyone notice that the end of all of her dragon names have "th"? Ex: Golanth, Ramoth, Alaralanth, Mnemneth, Path, Ruth, Canth.

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 05-01-2002, 09:54 PM   #8
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i may have noticed that when i was reading them, but that was such a while ago that i haven't contemplated it since. *shrug*

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 05-03-2002, 09:03 PM   #9
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

One of the saddest things about Anne mccafferys' book the masterharper of pern is that robinton's wife dies and u find out that petiron never loved his son. in many ways, I want to slap petiron and hug merelan (robinton's mother) It gives alot of background on the before fax and stuff. it also talks about f'lar and f'nor's father, f'lon. some other good pern books; dragonseye, the cronicles of pern;first fall.

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 05-16-2002, 04:40 PM   #10
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

I want to read her books! I read three of them when I found then in the lybrary and I liked them. I want to read more of them (I'll look) .
I don't understand half of what people talking in this forum because all the characters names are in hebrew when I read them, and I don't know about all the books.

I read one dragon stary I think in pern another one on singing spaceship and another one that I can't tell his name in english.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 04:49 PM   #11
Garina
Elf Lord

I really want to read Anne McCaffery, but I don't know which book to start with, as i hate not reading series in order!
Any suggestions?
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 07:17 PM   #12
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

Weel, scince the series was written totally out of order, I'd recomend reading, if you would like to understand it the best, Dragonsdawn. It explains how people came to pern. then cronicles of pern-first fall. then Narika's story(I think). then moreta, dragonlady of pern. then dragonseye. then the masterharper of pern. then dragonflight. then dragonsight(I think). then dragonsinger and dragonsong and dragondrums. the white dragon of pern. then the renegades of pern (tells about from beginning of pass to well.. won't give away). then the dolphins of pern. then all the weyrs of pern. then the skies of pern. forgive me if I miss some, I'm hungy and, yes, I admit it, me, LOD, the Anne McCaffery finatic, might, I repeat, MIGHT not have read them all. so please forgive Lady of Darkness if she missed some. She is just repeating them from memory. I also might have gotten some of the titles wrong.(segestion. go onto Amazon.com they have them all. type in under search "Dragonriders of Pern")
LOD
THe humble (HAHAHAHA)(not) author of this thread

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 05-19-2002, 10:11 AM   #13
Faeirex
Hobbit

Location: A place inside my head, where none but myself dare go.
Pern

I've read most of the Chronicles of Pern, and I thought they were great. They're some of the only books I've ever read that actually made me cry.
Even better, they made me cry in happy places. They are that well written.

I'd suggest starting with Dragonflight. That was the first on I read. I was 13, and I loved it. I was on holiday in France and my Dad had suggested I read them, so I brought along his copies of Dragonflight and Dragonquest. I read them both in the first coupla days, then spent the rest of the holiday rereading them several times and itching to get home so I could start on the White Dragon.

The books are all out of order, but if you don't plan to read the whole set, Dragonflight, Dragonquest and Thw White Dragon are the starting point. Others go back in time to explain history, legands or pasts of some of the characters. Also, some run concurrently. I think Dragonsong and Dragonsinger go inbetween DQ and TWD, whereas The Renegades of Pern is concurrent with TWD. Really, it's up to you how you go about it. The only thing I can add is save All the Weyrs of Pern until last.

Who's better, F'lar or F'nor? Personally I like F'nor better, what do you guys think?

~Fae
Am becoming disenchanted with palantir guy. Refuses to send me photo, except of one v. large eyeball. Says he is shy but I rather suspect he is fat, or perhaps hairy. Have heard some v. bad stories about palantir relationships. Should probably cool it for a while.

Well, wouldn't you know, palantir guy turned out to be Dark Lord of Mordor. Just my luck. Could have been worse, I guess. Sauron not far or hairy, just disembodied force of evil. Must go now, have to raise massive demon army to scourge the earth. Also, have manicure appointment. Is no easy task keeping nails pointy.

Am tired of climbing up and down eight million stairs just to taunt Gandalf. Should have imprisoned him in easy-access dungeon where could taunt more effectively, and would not have to wait until after breakfast.

Have crossed orcs with goblin men in caverns below Isengard. V. tedious experience as orcs and goblin men most reluctant to breed, even with dinner and flowers. Next time will try something easier, such as breeding goblins and cheerleaders to create super-perky army that can travel by day and will not complain about pink uniforms.

Did not know when decided to make demon army for Sauron that would be so darn messy. Curse my decision to be Saruman the White. Should have decided to be Saruman the Muddy Brown, or Saruman the Faintly Greenish. White just shows all the slime.
Faeirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 12:19 PM   #14
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

I dunno. if I had to make a choice, I would choose F'nor. Suggestion: Make up your own character, make him/her be anything, do anything or whaterver you want. I've done it and, while it takes longer to get through the books because you are concentrating, you develop more of an imagination and you have something to do during17-21 hour car rides(going to Indiana or beyond UGH! ) HEHEHEHEHE
LOD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 05-19-2002, 04:45 PM   #15
Faeirex
Hobbit

Location: A place inside my head, where none but myself dare go.
Oh, I quite frequently make up my own characters. That's the beauty of roleplays. You can live out imaginary lives through them.

Oh dear. That looked really sad. But tempting anyway. I wonder if there are any Pern roleplays around. Anyone know?

~Fae
Am becoming disenchanted with palantir guy. Refuses to send me photo, except of one v. large eyeball. Says he is shy but I rather suspect he is fat, or perhaps hairy. Have heard some v. bad stories about palantir relationships. Should probably cool it for a while.

Well, wouldn't you know, palantir guy turned out to be Dark Lord of Mordor. Just my luck. Could have been worse, I guess. Sauron not far or hairy, just disembodied force of evil. Must go now, have to raise massive demon army to scourge the earth. Also, have manicure appointment. Is no easy task keeping nails pointy.

Am tired of climbing up and down eight million stairs just to taunt Gandalf. Should have imprisoned him in easy-access dungeon where could taunt more effectively, and would not have to wait until after breakfast.

Have crossed orcs with goblin men in caverns below Isengard. V. tedious experience as orcs and goblin men most reluctant to breed, even with dinner and flowers. Next time will try something easier, such as breeding goblins and cheerleaders to create super-perky army that can travel by day and will not complain about pink uniforms.

Did not know when decided to make demon army for Sauron that would be so darn messy. Curse my decision to be Saruman the White. Should have decided to be Saruman the Muddy Brown, or Saruman the Faintly Greenish. White just shows all the slime.
Faeirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 05:09 PM   #16
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

Am looking it up on google right now......................................
Yep. there are about a million. goto Google.com and type in "pern roleplays" then click Search and watch and be amazed! don't be worried if you get confused, I am too!
LOD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 05-19-2002, 10:22 PM   #17
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I've only read the Harper Hall trilogy, but they're pretty cool.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 08:43 PM   #18
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

You Must Read!!!!! Anne McCaffery is a must!!!!! HEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHE you might wanna read the MasterHarper of Pern if you wanna learn more about Robinton. It's good!!!!!! HEHEHEHEHE
LOD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 05-26-2002, 09:43 AM   #19
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by TinuvielChild
yeah, Veronica likes those too. i'm afraid that i got rather far behind on my Pern reading, mainly because i didn't find them as riveting as the Damia ones.
You MIGHT be right, but of her books my favorite series would have to be the ones about Acorna, unicorn girl

Old 05-26-2002, 05:07 PM   #20
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

I started to read those but Then I stopped. mainly because my friend stole her book back! HEHEHEHEHE !!!DOPE!!*smacks herself on head* forgot to putin request w/ sister to get Anne McCaffery books while at library! someone smack me!! someone admonish me! someone keep me from getting to into the 'someone do something to me'
HEHEHEHEHEHEHE
LOD
TS, when is Tc coming back?
LOD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again