Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2002, 02:05 PM   #1
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Any Aspiring Fantasy Authours Out There?

Hey, any Fantasy writers out there?
Currently I'm working on a Legend Of Zelda novel with my brother (for fun) where a boy from modern day NY City is transported back to Hyrule, an Arthurian Saga/Series; and a series of my own creation, my firstwork.
My Arthurian saga featurtes some of my elves from my other series so whichever I get published (crosses fingers) first will tie in with the other one.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:22 PM   #2
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

I am a writer...or i call myself one

I'm currently re-working my first novel in which a prophecy is set into motion and there's a dragon in it...i can't be bothered explaining as it's complicated. But it has a second and third book to go with it and i'm trying to write those aswell, but first things first. Finish one before going onto the next

It's all my own creation though so im proud of it.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 05:10 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I don't like to write, this is going to get moved to the lit forum.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 08:08 PM   #4
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i'm kinda a writer, i've got a story going, but i haven't gotten very far (1.5 chapters). people tell me it's great. i think the second chapter (what there is of it) is absolute crud. i'm reworking it, but the plot is kinda drifting all over the place and i'm trying to figure out where i'm going with this. *shrug* i'll figure it out eventually.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 08:12 PM   #5
TinuvielChild
Padawan

one of my friends has 3 books that he's written (not published yet tho), sci-fi. they're really cool! i have to finish reading the second one. he tells me the 3rd one is the best, but i think the second one is really good (i haven't read the 3rd one yet, obviously, as i'm still in the middle of the 2nd one). and i am rambling so i will shut up now.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 08:31 PM   #6
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

no its not emplynx, and you know, when you say things like that we really don't want to move it or close it. You have been 'wrong' many, many times about threads being closed, and yet you say that you've never been wrong. Maybe thats because a majority of topics in which you've posted that have been closed. But its not because of your suggestion, its because those threads were obcviously going to be closed. he he.

I'm an author, but I haven't written anything yet

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 09:08 PM   #7
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I am a writer of short stories. I cannot write a decent plot. I can write characters, emotion, places, what have you, but I cannot write a plot. What I do write is good though!
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 07:38 AM   #8
Elf Girl
Lurker

I have started two novels and one fanfic. I don't like to speak about the plots, because I'm worried that if I've told it, I will lose all motivation to write it.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 07:58 PM   #9
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

I love to write... but I have a little bit of trouble... I get so far and then get a block... but one day I'll make it... one day... there's a girl in my class that is going to be a famous author some day... she's already written tons of poems and short stories... I've already got her autograph for when she makes it big.
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 10:14 PM   #10
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I've begun my first book this semester--it sprung from a dream I had, but I'm not quite sure where it's going. Maybe I'll post some of it someday.

My roomate will be famous someday.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 03:41 PM   #11
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Yes, I'm aspiring. I'm definitely writing in the fantasy genre. It's amazing how much influence Tolkien has on us in this genre. We either accept the terms he laid down or react to them by laying down our own terms. That particular struggle is what's on my mind at the moment.

If I ever do manage to sell some books, I won't tell. I was on an SF list that had a successful writer on it, and he had so much clout that he accidentally dominated it. I think he left and returned with a pseudonym. People would respond to him in weird ways that they didn't respond to just regular posters.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:45 PM   #12
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Well my First series, the one I created myself, was heavily influenced by Tollkien but My Arthurian and Legend of Zelda ones have a bit less of the similarities to Tolkien.
I'm niot trying to copy Tolkien, my story(ies) are very very different.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:01 PM   #13
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I'm fourteen and I've been mulling a fantasy plot around in my head since I was ten. And I'm only on Chapter One. NOTHING is happening and I cant figure out how to get my characters to talk so I think that the characters wont be too talkative. I can only write stuff like feelings and natural stuff. I cant write dilaogue though so I sound like a little kid.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:07 PM   #14
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
I'm fourteen and I've been mulling a fantasy plot around in my head since I was ten. And I'm only on Chapter One. NOTHING is happening and I cant figure out how to get my characters to talk so I think that the characters wont be too talkative. I can only write stuff like feelings and natural stuff. I cant write dilaogue though so I sound like a little kid.
Sam
If you have problems with character speech don't worry. Its hard. What you need to do is write down a basic plot, then a sort of synopsis of each chapter. That way you'll know wheree you're going with the plot...then think of the characters. I swear, it works. Once you know exactly where you're taking it you kind of know what needs to be said i suppose.

Oh yeah, character profiles help too. And trying a bit of dialogue out of the context of the story. But don't get too carried away with that one.

Hope thats helpful to you. Helped with my story, i've finished it now!!

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 04-24-2002, 10:47 PM   #15
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Did you publish it? And thanks for the tips. I'll have to find a notebook where I can write down the ideas an' all.
Speaking of fantasy did anyone here know that Frodo's original name was BINGO? YIKES!
Thanks for the tips Elf.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 11:46 PM   #16
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Hey Elfmaster XK (or anyone else for that matter), any ideas for plot inspiration?
Old 04-24-2002, 11:57 PM   #17
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I'm a writer....not published, though someday I will be. Um...yeah...hopefully... Think positive!

Kashka (I still like that...easier to type!) one thing to do is, if you don't mind others reading your non-finished work, is to sit down with a friend and bounce ideas off them. Sometimes that helps a lot.
Also, if you just look at where you are in the plot, and then make a list of absolutely anything that could happen from that point (obviously you won't get everything...six or seven ideas is probably plenty to start out with). Then just pick a random idea (wacky ones are fun, and suprisingly, they sometimes work better than "normal" ones) and write a bit, see where it takes you. Youc an play around with other ideas on your list, and find one you like the best.

Another thing to remember: what you're writing now might not be at all how it ends up....don't get TOO close to your "baby."

um...sorry if I sound like a preachy author....I've been reading too many "how to write books", most of which are not very helpful, but some are, and they're all really fun to read...
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 12:05 AM   #18
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

thanks Tano, I'll try some of that next time I get stuck. I think my problem is that I just don't like to write plot, so I don't get much practice. *shrugs* (btw, you don't sound preachy! In fact, I might just dig out some of those dusty 'how to write' books myself, I know they're somewhere on my bookshelf... )
Old 04-25-2002, 12:23 AM   #19
Ocarina654
Sapling

Location: A box under the stairs in the corner of the basement half a block down the street from Jerry's Bait shop. You know the place.
im an auothor. not published, not even finished actually. im writing like a dozen stories, some further than others. The one i think im doing best in is a Star Wars one. It takes place about 100 years after episode 6, you know, Return of the Jedi. Its kinda out of place. Its a good story though. MY fantasy story is really poorly writen. It has a good storyline. Its too long. all my stories are too long . im sorta writing a Sci-fi. I wrote the outline. I need to write the charectorazation. i usally write one or the other, i dont know why. Sometimes i dont write either. i g2g bye
Ocarina654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 05:55 AM   #20
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
Did you publish it? And thanks for the tips. I'll have to find a notebook where I can write down the ideas an' all.
Speaking of fantasy did anyone here know that Frodo's original name was BINGO? YIKES!
Thanks for the tips Elf.
Sam
That's okay sam, here to help..

No sadly not published yet. Im redrafting it right now for the last time then (yipee!!) im sending to the publishers!!!

Quote:
Hey Elfmaster XK (or anyone else for that matter), any ideas for plot inspiration?
Gimme a min, i have a page of tips somehwere for inspiration. I'll post em when i find em

I can fly - my friends.

XK