Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2002, 04:19 PM   #1
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

The hobbits comming to ME

I can not remember to have read this anywhere, so it has been bugging me...
I remember clearly how dwarves, elves and humans came to middle earth... but when and how were the hobbits created? and in which book is this mentioned??
Maybe I was reading Silmarillion half asleap at some points, but I find it odd that I missed this!

- Falathion
Old 04-16-2002, 06:09 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: The hobbits comming to ME

Quote:
Originally posted by Arat-Falathion
I can not remember to have read this anywhere, so it has been bugging me...
I remember clearly how dwarves, elves and humans came to middle earth... but when and how were the hobbits created? and in which book is this mentioned??
Maybe I was reading Silmarillion half asleap at some points, but I find it odd that I missed this!

- Falathion
There is no mention of Hobbits in Quenta Silmarillion. They are briefly mentioned in "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" refering to the Halflings, or Periannath. It also says that until the passing of the ring into their land, they were of small account to Men and Elves. I believe they were considered to be of the race of Men, and seem to be a secluded people and took no part in matters outside their own realm. So, they probably had little to contribute in the history before the Ring.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:13 PM   #3
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Prof Tolkien wrote something in a letter, let me paraphrase it: Isn't it good to leave some things as a mystery?

Since The Silmarillion is ostensibly by elves for elves, and the Numenorians basically only kept elven lore and their geneologies, there wasn't much beyond "old wive's tales" about the Hobbits. And we of later years know that "old wive's tales" are the remnants of the oral tradition. So we are led to understand, I think, that the Hobbits arrived inconspicuously and went unnoticed by many for years - thankfully!

Another angle we could take on this is "When did JRRT decide to add Hobbits to Middle Earth?" In Lost Tales we have elves living in a cottage that you have to shrink to enter. They refer to the Noldor as gnomes. The orcs, old english for ogres, were renamed from the earlier goblins. It's clear that at first the Prof was planning to write fairy tales using a Grimm's Bros sort of bestiary of faerie. Over time, however, his elves became more Nordic. We can find early references to a green man, like Tom Bombadil, and he lived near barrows called Wayland's Smithy. So can we find that sort of genesis for Hobbits? I mean, a writer's genesis, if you catch my drift.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 04-16-2002 at 08:16 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:34 AM   #4
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

...so the hobbits comming to Middle Earth is indeed a mystery! very well then
Old 04-21-2002, 02:39 PM   #5
Elf Girl
Lurker

I think that they're mutated Elves, because they are very strong, Ring-wise, stronger then Men or Dwarves.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 05:43 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
I think that they're mutated Elves, because they are very strong, Ring-wise, stronger then Men or Dwarves.
Hobbits are Men.
Old 04-21-2002, 07:40 PM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

Sam Gamgee

Where did you learn this?
Old 04-21-2002, 07:46 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Where did you learn this?
HoMe.
Old 04-21-2002, 07:56 PM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

And they are called "a diminutive Race of Man" in letters a few times. Also, Tolkien says they are akin to us in the Prologue.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:47 AM   #10
Elf Girl
Lurker

Ah. No wonder. I haven't read HomE.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:05 PM   #11
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Since elves and dwarfs were borrowed from other works, it makes sense to create a detailed history of the previously 2D beings. The hobbit, being a unique creation, would need added "mystery" to make them fit well with the other mythical beings. speculation...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 05:50 AM   #12
stormcrow
Sapling

Hobbits are usually refered to as "halflings." Is it possible that they are a half-breed between men and some other race? Purely speculating, they could have some dwarvish or elvish blood, or some combination or all three.
stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 05:44 PM   #13
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by stormcrow
Hobbits are usually refered to as "halflings." Is it possible that they are a half-breed between men and some other race? Purely speculating, they could have some dwarvish or elvish blood, or some combination or all three.
...maybe dwaves since they are short and hairy and live underground...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 04-29-2002, 05:11 PM   #14
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Prologue, LotR says:

Quote:
It is plain indeed that in spite of later estrangement Hobbits are relatives of ours: far nearer to us than Elves, or even
than Dwarves. Of old they spoke the languages of Men, after their own fashion, and liked and disliked much the same things as Men did. But what exactly our relationship is can no longer be discovered. The beginning of Hobbits lies far back in the Elder Days that are now lost and forgotten.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 09:17 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54
Prologue, LotR says:

Where were they when Beren and Finrod needed them?

Hi Kirinki. Don't be such a stranger.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:27 PM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Yuppers, Hobbits is men. Tolkien says so in the Letters, Nolendil and Sister Golden Hair have it right on the money once again. No suprise there.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 05:55 PM   #17
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Bah. The old woman's just learned a few tricks from me, the glory is all mine.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:04 PM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
Bah. The old woman's just learned a few tricks from me, the glory is all mine.
Excuse me little elf boy. I have been reading Tolkien longer than you have been alive. Heeheehee.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:46 AM   #19
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Excuse me little elf boy. I have been reading Tolkien longer than you have been alive. Heeheehee.
Nice burn

*another "old fogey"*

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-02-2002, 05:30 PM   #20
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Where were they when Beren and Finrod needed them?

Hi Kirinki. Don't be such a stranger.
Hi Sister Golden Hair!

I do feel like a stranger, have been gone for months. Of course there are a few familiar people so, hi all of you too!

PS Sister, how on ME did you get more than 60000 posts?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote