Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-10-2002, 02:24 PM   #1
Harad
Hobbit

Thomas Covenant

Anybody like the 2 Trilogies of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson?

On the surface there are many similarites to LOTR but it is in fact a separate invention that has many fascinating ideas and characters. It is even darker than the LOTR with an Anti-Hero as the protagonist.

One particularly interesting creation is the Bloodguard who have sworn an Oath of allegiance that is so strong that the Oath makes them immortal.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:25 PM   #2
Elvet
Elven Warrior

It's been a long time since I read both trilogies( in the 70's), but here's my comment on what I can remember. The first trilogy I really liked. I always enjoy a 'fish out of water' story, and Thomas didn't know about the new world he woke up in. You knew his ring was special, but not why. The second trilogy had a dark and hopeless feel to it. I found it depressing. Middle-earth is never that devastated. There is always the triumph of good, even when the land itself is destroyed - as in the scouring of the shire.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:08 PM   #3
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I also read them a long time ago. I like the first for much the same reason as Elvet. The second I don't remember well. But I can tell you that I still have the first trilogy on my bookshelf and I didn't bother to keep the 2nd.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 04:13 AM   #4
Harad
Hobbit

Interesting reactions. Maybe if you had read the second when you were older like I did you wouldnt have had the objections?

I liked the seond trilogy even better. THe first one was more "standard." Reminiscent of many Quest stories but, of course, having its unique anti-hero and ideas.

The second trilogy had an amazing idea called the "Sunbane." In it the Land cycled thru days of Rain (floods), Heat (desert), Wild Growth (Jungle), and Fertility. The inhabitants had to gear their lives to survive in this insanity. The Sunbane was created by the Evil in the world and was controlled thru traitors that kept their own people subjugated. It was a particularly hopeless situation, as you said, yet Covenant triumphed in his unique anti-heroic way.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:18 PM   #5
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

But I read them when I was "older" so that makes me really, really old now! Sunbane was an interesting concept but I liked the first trilogy much better.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I read them and adored them. (well everything except the ending) How could they kill poor Thomas?
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 09:01 AM   #7
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Did anybody else just want to give Covenant a good slap - I did enjo both sets of books , I enjoyed the darkness of them , to a certain extent their realism and Covenants obstinacey,I read them a few years back and tend to dip into them occasionally still - an overwhelming sense of depression descended on me whilst reading them , I really did want to shake him , suppose any reaction from a book is a good one - the fact he was not gungho and 'good' , but a flawed normal bloke ( apart from having leprosy that is ) I found fascinating.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 06:56 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

Have you read his book of short stories? It's good, and shows a lot more of the ideas he's had. I can't remember the title I'm afraid. Well worth a look, and if you're hacked off with the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (long, at least!) it'll restore a little faith in the author.

Speaking of short stories, I liked Burning Chrome (William Gibson) but less so State of the Art (Iain Banks). For those who wanna know.
Old 05-05-2002, 06:37 PM   #9
AACHOO
Enting

The first started OK but by the end he was so spineless and unsympathetic I didn't bother with the second.
AACHOO is offline   Reply With Quote