Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-10-2002, 01:36 PM   #1
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Polls

Iwas reading in the FAQs about creating a poll. I wanted to attempt it however that feature does not appear working. Can we mooters do this or is that function not available?

Just considering the possibilities.

Has anyone ever created a poll here?

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 04:06 PM   #2
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

no

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 04:27 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I disabled them on my website to. I hate them!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 04:41 PM   #4
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Wow! I had no idea that it was such a sore topic. Must be subject to much abuse by users. Ah, well... I just didn't understand why it's even mentioned inthe FAQs... thought it might be fun to do a poll or two.

*walks away head hanging down... kicks rock into the path*

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:43 PM   #5
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by Pailan
Ah, well... I just didn't understand why it's even mentioned inthe FAQs...
It is mentioned in the FAQ because that is how it came with the vBullitin software. The admins are too lazy to delete it... The polls are cool for a while, but they get old when a bunch are made.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:47 PM   #6
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Yeah, its a pre-made faq. We talk about making a new one that is actually helpful, but its not close to being finished. If turned on polls, then there were be dozens in every forum. They get a bit excessive....

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 11:34 AM   #7
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I get your drift about the whole over use thing. How about creating an official Entmoot Pollster position. That would prevent random, annoying polls from showing up everywhere. It could spice up life a bit on the board. Heck, I'll even vollunteer to be the polster... Of course all polls would be subject to the Entmoot's higher powers approval and all results would be non-binding...

What do you think? Is it possible?

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 04-11-2002 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:50 PM   #8
aldesign
Elven Warrior

or have a NEW FORUM< dedicated to POLLS, so that pple can just go there and post ramdom Polls, both Tolkien related and General, then u wont have any ANNOYING POLLS in the the other forums, keeping them clean, from poll abuse.

(actualy i quite like this idea)
andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 04:16 PM   #9
emplynx

Palian, I believe that the only way to do that, in my knowledge of Message Boards, is to disable every user from posting polls individually... (I don't even know if you can do that...) So it was take a long time to so that for almost 1000 members.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:14 PM   #10
Pailan
Elven Warrior

OK lame idea... Just thought I'd give it a try. Next topic please.

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:44 PM   #11
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I like andy's idea.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 08:53 AM   #12
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
I like andy's idea.
If it could work that way, sign me up, too.

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:28 AM   #13
aldesign
Elven Warrior

wooot, maybe it could

Admin dudes, any reply?
could that be done, i know Vbullitin and Ezboard a-like can be difficult to customise Poll-wise, so i dont know if it will be possible for u to "turn polls on" for a certain Forum.

andy
Old 04-13-2002, 11:44 AM   #14
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I guess the admins and mods don't want to touch this one with a ten foot "poll."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:07 PM   #15
galadriel88

Corny but good, Pailan.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 04-13-2002, 05:09 PM   #16
galadriel88

By the way, the admins wouldn't have to turn on polls for a certain forum, just make it a rule that all polls should be put in the appropriate forum - like they do all the other topics.

Old 04-13-2002, 05:24 PM   #17
aldesign
Elven Warrior

perhaps Galadriel

but, that would be like a new "load" on their shoulders, they wont want to keep moving Poll topics startd in the wrong Forums.
they wont let that happen.

So they will have to just Enable, and disable them in particular Forums.

andy
Old 04-14-2002, 09:41 AM   #18
galadriel88

Yeah, i guess you're right....