Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2002, 02:23 PM   #1
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Garth Nix!

Anyone else here read Sabriel and Liriel by Garth Nix? They are SO good!! So I wanted to start a discussion here. . . Come on, I'm sure people have read them. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:59 PM   #2
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Yes, Yes, Yes, adore!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are mega cool. I just wish there were currently more than 2. Whose your fav. character?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:04 PM   #3
Luaddual
Sapling

Those books are amazing! *sigh* They deserve a lot more credit that they get. Those are definitely two of my very favorite books. And, guess what?
Abhorsen comes out in Feb., 2003!

Last edited by Luaddual : 04-15-2002 at 09:07 PM.
Luaddual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:08 PM   #4
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Luaddual
Those books are amazing! *sigh* They deserve a lot more credit that they get. Those are definitely two of my very favorite books. And, guess what?
Abhorsen comes out in Feb., 2003!
Yes! Score! Je t'aime!
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-18-2002, 12:52 AM   #5
Eruviel Greenleaf

I don't think I have a fave character. But I like. . .in no particular order...Mogget, the Dog, Liriel, Sabriel, Sabriel's father, um, others. They're all great characters.

Can't wait 'til Abhorsen comes out!!!!!!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-18-2002, 07:48 PM   #6
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I don't think its possible to not like their helps. Which do you like more, Remembrancers or Abenhorsens?

Old 04-19-2002, 11:36 PM   #7
Eruviel Greenleaf

Abhorsens. Definitely.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-19-2002, 11:43 PM   #8
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I like the Remembrancers. Did you know that Garth Nix writes the Seventh Tower books too?

Old 04-19-2002, 11:47 PM   #9
Eruviel Greenleaf

Really? I haven't heard of those. . .

The only other Nix books I have read are, no is, Shade's Children, which I didn't like near as much. But, I like the abhorsens better because-well, I'm wierd that way. . .besides, aren't Remembrancers usually Abhorsen as well? I dunno, I need to read Liriel again. hooray for good books!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-20-2002, 12:05 AM   #10
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

They're a side series and really sweet. Just the regular monsters trying to take over the world in the middle of a civil war (sorta)

Old 04-20-2002, 12:18 AM   #11
Eruviel Greenleaf

Thanks...I am definitely going to have to look for them!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-20-2002, 03:46 PM   #12
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
Really? I haven't heard of those. . .

The only other Nix books I have read are, no is, Shade's Children, which I didn't like near as much. But, I like the abhorsens better because-well, I'm wierd that way. . .besides, aren't Remembrancers usually Abhorsen as well? I dunno, I need to read Liriel again. hooray for good books!
You're right, I forgot that you have to be the child of and Abhorsen to be one.

Old 04-24-2002, 08:13 PM   #13
Luaddual
Sapling

I just got a postcard from Garth Nix!! I wrote to him c/o the publishers of Lirael many months ago, just to today I got a reply, all in his handwriting! It was definitely not what I was expecting to find in my mailbox, and obviously made my month! Here's what he writes:

Hi Hannah
Thank you for your letter about SABRIEL and LIRAEL. I’m sorry I have been so slow to reply. Basically I have been very busy writing ABHORSEN. It won’t be published till February 2003, I’m afraid, though there are some sample chapters on my website.
I come up with the names through trail and error. I write down lots of variations and read them aloud till I get one that sounds right. I many write more books set in the Old Kingdom, but not for a few years. There is more about the Great Charters in ABHORSEN.
Best wishes
Garth Nix

Isn't that awesome?! I started hyperventilating when I realized who it was from.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:25 PM   #14
Eruviel Greenleaf

Wow, that is really cool, he wrote back and everything. I think I should write a letter! That must be so nice to get that in the mail...I am definitely writing a letter now

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-25-2002, 05:21 PM   #15
Luaddual
Sapling

Yes, it was VERY nice to get in the mail. I like writing to authors - they do usually write back, although, like in this case, it can take a LONG time. You have to remember he lives in Australia, though, so snail mail takes a while. I have his email address now, if you'd like to use that instead, but getting something hand-written still seems better.

garthnix@ozemail.com.au
Old 04-26-2002, 01:28 AM   #16
Eruviel Greenleaf

I've never actually sent a letter to an author. . .but I think I defintely will, to Garth Nix. Thank you so much for his email! I'll most likely send something snail mail though.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-27-2002, 07:37 PM   #17
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Luaddual
I just got a postcard from Garth Nix!! I wrote to him c/o the publishers of Lirael many months ago, just to today I got a reply, all in his handwriting! It was definitely not what I was expecting to find in my mailbox, and obviously made my month! Here's what he writes:

Hi Hannah
Thank you for your letter about SABRIEL and LIRAEL. I’m sorry I have been so slow to reply. Basically I have been very busy writing ABHORSEN. It won’t be published till February 2003, I’m afraid, though there are some sample chapters on my website.
I come up with the names through trail and error. I write down lots of variations and read them aloud till I get one that sounds right. I many write more books set in the Old Kingdom, but not for a few years. There is more about the Great Charters in ABHORSEN.
Best wishes
Garth Nix

Isn't that awesome?! I started hyperventilating when I realized who it was from.
Cool maybe i will too. You managed to get some of my questions answered with that letter, thanks!

Old 05-25-2002, 09:31 PM   #18
Carafin
Elven Warrior

You mean Garth Nix wrote more than just SABRIEL?!? I enjoyed that book so much! (although it's been a while since I've read it) I really liked Mogget and Sabriel and...sorry I could get carried away

P.S. what is the other book about?(is it a continuation of the same story?)

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 10:32 PM   #19
Eruviel Greenleaf

The second in that series is called Lirael, it's about--a clayr. . .well, I don't want to give anything away, but yes, it's a continuation. The third is called Abhorsen, and I hope it comes out before too long!

He also wrote Shade's Children, but I did not like that one as much. And it's a post-apocolyptic sort of world. . .not that that's bad, I just didn't like it.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-26-2002, 09:33 AM   #20
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Carafin
You mean Garth Nix wrote more than just SABRIEL?!? I enjoyed that book so much! (although it's been a while since I've read it) I really liked Mogget and Sabriel and...sorry I could get carried away

P.S. what is the other book about?(is it a continuation of the same story?)
He writes all over the place. On top of Sabriel and Lirael he writes in nearly every other genre. I think he even wrote a star wars, but it might have been a star trek.