Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2001, 08:58 PM   #1
Comic Book Guy 2001

Death Of Sauron. Spoilers

Ok theres not much to go on this but on a website it says that Sauron will be a man clad in spiked armour. When the ring is destroyed barad-dur falls apart and Sauron flys from it onto a spike.

Even though this scene isn't in the return of the king or any other book, theres no way to say it can't have happened.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:09 PM   #2
Darth Tater

Re: Death Of Sauron. Spoilers

This is completely against canon and makes no sense, and I believe it is a fan conjuring. I read the article and Dark Horizons. It talks about being impailed by a spike: obviously inspired by the Saruman pic. It also explains how he's dressed, just rehashing what we've seen in trailer 3 and previous spy reports. I don't believe it, they've left the books before but no one would go this far
Old 07-10-2001, 10:14 PM   #3
Inoldonil

I agree with Darth, although we have heard from very reliable sources (or do we know?) that we will actually see Sauron. I think there was some mention of a skull helmet. It inspired Michael Martinez to write (or type) an article about villains.
Old 07-10-2001, 11:42 PM   #4
Grand Admiral Reese

It's a hoax. Someone mashed together a few different reports and made that travesty out of it.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:51 PM   #5
brownjenkins

Sauron

cool board...

Sauron will appear in the movie... in fact, there is a very brief glimpse of his skull mask in the beginning of the trailer. My guess would be that this comes from some sort of flashback scene when Gandalf is speaking on the history of the ring and the last alliance. Maybe the impailing is a reference to Isildur killing Sauron with Gil-Galad's spear (I can't quite remember the order of who killed who when in that fight) and then they show Barad-dur colapsing after he falls... just speculation on my part.
Old 07-12-2001, 07:51 PM   #6
Inoldonil

Re: Sauron

Welcome!

The impaling is definitely an echo of the pic we've seen of Saruman, the wizard-ka-bob pic.

Does it say somewhere Isildur slew Sauron with Gil-galad's spear? I didn't know about that.
Old 07-12-2001, 09:50 PM   #7
brownjenkins

Sauron

Thank you.

You're probably right on the Saruman thing.

As far as how Sauron was actually killed... I'm just going from a sketchy memory of the history... maybe it was Elendil who did him in with his sword... I can't quite remember.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:50 AM   #8
Shanamir Duntak

As far as I remember, it's with it sword, Narsil.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:32 AM   #9
SauronDL

This can't be right. Sauron has only four forms, three of which were built by him during the reign of Melkor. These were a wolf, a vampire, and a serpent. The fourth was built after Isildur took the Ring. This was of a lidless eye, yellow, and glazed over like a cat's. It is said that the slit of the eye is like a hole into absolute nothingness.

Hence his alias, The Lidless Eye. He was also called the Red Eye by his Orcs; even though the eye was yellow. It can be confirmed this was because of the recognization of his slain assailers.

Ever wondered why his Orc armies had red eyes on their helms? I would hate to see Sauron in any other form; for one he is not seen by the Fellowship and he does not change form.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:35 PM   #10
Shanamir Duntak

HUH?

Are you sure you posted in the right thread?
Old 07-13-2001, 05:07 PM   #11
Inoldonil

I suppose he's reffering to my comment about Sauron having a skull mask in the movies, and brownjenkins confirmation of it.

I might say I feel it rather doubtful Sauron actually _was_ the Eye. I've never read that anywhere. He seems to have a terrible humanoid form, although he undoubtedly has a very extroadinary Eye. I imagine he only has one. And he was a shape-shifter in the old days, like all the Ainur he could assume any form he wanted according to his personality and will. Although a wolf, vampire and serpent is what we see in the Beren and Lúthien chapter
Old 07-13-2001, 11:55 PM   #12
Darth Tater

Hmm, everyone needs to review their history, even inoldonil judging by that last post!
Old 07-15-2001, 03:26 PM   #13
webwizard333

I always thought that Sauron had a human form, and that the Eye was what you felt when his "thought" passed over you.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:17 AM   #14
Inoldonil

Found more on this here. (English translation at the bottom)
Old 07-25-2001, 04:52 PM   #15
Comic Book Guy 2001

In the Journey to the crossroads, the statue is made to look like the Dark Lord Sauron.

Quote:
The years had gnawed it, and violent hands had maimed it. Its head was gone,
and in its place was set in mockery a round rough-hewn stone, rudely painted
by savage hands in the likeness of a grinning face with one large red eye in
the midst of its forehead. Upon its knees and mighty chair, and all about
the pedestal, were idle scrawls mixed with the foul symbols that the
maggot-folk of Mordor used.
Old 07-25-2001, 07:40 PM   #16
Shanamir Duntak

Well... I have to disagree. I don't think the mocked statue is made to look like the Dark Lord. (But I still believe Sauron to have a humanoid form)
Old 07-25-2001, 10:18 PM   #17
Comic Book Guy 2001

Tolkien himself drew a sketch of Sauron for a cover of RotK. It proves that Sauron has a Humanoid appearance.

http://img-greenbooks.theonering.net...100_sauron.jpg

Please post your views.
Old 07-26-2001, 09:04 AM   #18
Manwe Sulimo

As for Sauron and a humanoid form, I agree... his form was hideous, but it is still humanoid, I think...

But one thing that I started wondering about up here... Was Sauron ever killed in SA? Isildur cut off one off his fingers, and took the Ring... the sword was already broken then, and I don't think he could have killed him with it... and I do not believe that Isildur took Gil-Galads sword and killed Sauron either...

And the statue at the Crossroads was not made into the semblance of Sauron, I think... it was destroyed by the orcs because it was of a King of Gondor, and was meant to praise Sauron, I think, not look like him..
Old 07-26-2001, 06:09 PM   #19
webwizard333

Sauron survived the destruction of the Ring didn't he?
Old 07-26-2001, 07:43 PM   #20
Shanamir Duntak

Some of us suppose that....
It seems that he might be the master behind Bush...