Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

My plant's name is Pippin....

I got a plant for my adult prep class and she encouraged us to name it so I named it Pippin. While Sam is my favorite char, Pippin is more fun and more recognizable of a name as far as LotR

my point is, what plants/animals/children/Pokemon/guitar/car/boat/pet names for other people/etc have you used an LotR name for?

I didn't know where to put this so I put it here

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

"He fears you Aragorn, and what you may become"

Two Towers in 6 months!
Halley_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:00 PM   #2
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Last month I brought home a door prize consisting of three goldfish. As I walked back to my dorm room, I contemplated names for the three of them. the Musketeers, I thought. But I could only remember Portos, and Aramos (D'Artagnon doesn't count because he was the fourth). next I thought of the Three Stooges, and had nearly settled on Larry, Curly, and Moe, when I remeber the girl down the hall had a fish named Frodo Joe (may he rest in peace). That settled it, and they now happily exist in a small fishbowl on the top of my dresser as Merry, Pippin, and Sam.

BTW, I learned in Eastern World Religions that according to the ancient art of feng shui, three is the right number of goldfish to have. Also, that you should have, and that one should be black (to absorb the bad energy in the room), and the other two should be golden.

Now, Sam had black spots to start with, but he's turned all golden now. I can only assume that there isn't any bad energy here for him to absorb.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:01 PM   #3
Elf Girl
Lurker

hmmmmmmmmm, I had my snake before I heard of LotR, so she doesn't have a LotR name. If I get a leapord gecko like a want to, I'll name a female Eówyn and a male Faramir. All my plants have uninteresting names, too.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 03-23-2002 at 08:03 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:04 PM   #4
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I have a cactus named Gandalf. And another one named Saruman. Saruman is short and round with lots of huge bristly spikes, and Gandalf is taller, less spiky, and has several arms (oh, and he's green too).

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears

Last edited by FrodoFriend : 03-23-2002 at 08:05 PM.
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:07 PM   #5
Nibs
Head Hollara

I know these people on the internet that talk about naming their plants after Tolkien characters... I call them Crazy.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:10 PM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Yeah, and I know this guy who hangs out in Tolkien forums and calls Tolkien fans Crazy. It's one of those cases where the shepherd starts looking like the sheep.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 03-23-2002, 08:17 PM   #7
Nibs
Head Hollara

Yes, and I know this user on that selfsame Tolkien forum that tried to take the attention away from her own plant-naming quirks by pointing at another innocent user who remarked on her personificating by using some adage that sounds like one's grandmother would use and everyone just nods and says 'yes' even though no one knows what the heck she's talking about.

I really get what you meant by the shepherd thing, but it does sound like something my grandmother would say.

This could go on forever... let's just say I win .

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:18 PM   #8
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

my pets and plants name themselves. It doesn't have to be lotr. My six inche fir tree that I rescued from the fate of being burned is named Linus. It just seemed to fit.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:23 PM   #9
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
This could go on forever... let's just say I win .
What's that, sonny? Speak up! Kids these days, always mumbling . . . anyway, as I was saying, I know this young man on a certain Tolkien forum who actually listens to his grandmother! The darling, he has all her pet phrases memorized . . .

P.S. I like grandma sayings. They're cool.

Old 03-23-2002, 09:12 PM   #10
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

This belongs in the Lord of the Rings books forum.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 09:39 PM   #11
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I named my dental floss after this thread
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 10:38 PM   #12
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

LOL. "I named my dental floss "My Plant's Name is Pippin". Then I named my teddy bear "I Named My Dental Floss My Plant's Name is Pippin." Then I named my clarinet "I Named My Teddy Bear I Named My Dental Floss My Plant's Name is Pippin." Then . . ."

Old 03-24-2002, 09:10 AM   #13
Elf Girl
Lurker

I named my compass "I Named my Clarinet I Named My Teddy Bear I Named My Dental Floss My Plant's Name is Pippin"

Next?
Old 03-24-2002, 10:08 AM   #14
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel

This could be fun!

I named my hairbrush "I Named my Clarinet I Named my Teddy Bear I Named my Dental Floss My Plant's Name is Pippin."

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 10:50 AM   #15
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
I named my hairbrush "I Named my Clarinet I Named my Teddy Bear I Named my Dental Floss My Plant's Name is Pippin."

You forgot the compass.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:54 AM   #16
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Okay,
"I named my toothbrush I Named my Clarinet I Named my Teddy Bear I Named my Dental Floss My Plant's Name is Pippin."

Whoa....now I'm dizzy...
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 12:11 PM   #17
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by RosieCotton
I named my toothbrush I Named my Clarinet I Named my Teddy Bear I Named my Dental Floss My Plant's Name is Pippin
Everyone forgets my compass! It should be: I named my toothbrush "I Named my Compass I Named my Clarinet I Named my Teddy Bear I Named my Dental Floss My Plant's Name is Pippin"
Old 03-24-2002, 02:41 PM   #18
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Ok, I named my bike "I named my toothbrush I named my compass I named my clarinet I named my teddy bear I named my dental floss my plant's name is Pippin"
AHHH!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 03:01 PM   #19
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I named my headphones "I named my bike I named my toothbrush I named my compass I named my clarinet I named my teddy bear I named my dental floss my plant's name is Pippin"

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 03:19 PM   #20
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i named my hat "I named my headphones I named my bike I named my toothbrush I named my compass I named my clarinet I named my teddy bear I named my dental floss my plant's name is Pippin"