Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-20-2002, 03:26 PM   #1
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

The two most depressing words...

Yes, it's true. I have discovered the most depressing phrase in the world. What is it, you ask? Well, as I was sitting in my dentist's waiting room reading RotK and weeping at the deaprture of Frodo, I came across these two words:

The End

I wept. I cried out "NO!" but alas! The book was over, and I can now say that I have completed what is undoubtedly the most amazing literary saga in all of history.

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 03:29 PM   #2
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Hurrah!
Good for you! Now go back to the start and read it again now that you know whats coming. I was amazed how many things I missed first time around.
luv
Play Girl
xxx

PS I cried at the end too (and mostly all the Sam and Frodo bits form Shelob) *sniff*

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 03:35 PM   #3
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

That's ok. Congrats. Try the Silmarillion. If you've done that try Unfinished Tales or one of those History of Middle Earth books for the detail notes.

If that's not you're cup of cappuccino, you can read it again like Play Gril says. It's got more details than 7 viewings of the movie (umm, which I had).

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 02-20-2002 at 06:56 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 06:50 PM   #4
Nameless
Enting

Congratulations! It sounds like you found the journey as amazing as I did.

I agree with Arathorn, read the Silmarillion next. Or at least try to read it. Reading the Silmarillion adds even more depth to all the characters and places in Middle Earth. It is more 'dry' than LotR. But once you get used to the writing style, I think it is very interesting and most enjoyable.

Another good book to read is the Unfinished Tales (which I'm about half way through and REALLY enjoying).

But Play Girl is right. You should re-read LotR. No matter how many times you read it, you will always learn something new each time!
Old 02-20-2002, 07:05 PM   #5
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I would recommend not diving right into another Middle-Earth book right away. Take a Tolkien break and read something non-fantasy.

Don't hit me guys, I think this is important to keep people from getting worn out.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 10:41 PM   #6
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I agree with Emplynx. Getting burned out on fantasy can almost ruin it for you (along the lines of getting sick frome ating too much of your favorite food)

I left my version of ROTK at school....NOOOOOOOOOOO! Even if Aragorn does have some weird Pegasus/Mercury helmet, I want to read it...sob sob.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:43 PM   #7
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I guess. I was just suggesting some stuff to fill the void... Maybe one round a year, at the maximum.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 02-20-2002 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:57 AM   #8
orald
Enting

Nariel,have you read the hobbit?
orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 08:44 AM   #9
cameronkendrick
Hobbit

I agree with orald-try reading the hobbit again (if you've read it at all). Though it is a little simple, or child-orienated compared to LOTR. I have a college coarse this semester devoted entirely to Tolkien. For the class I read the Hobbit for the third time (my second reading as an adult). Actually I did a paper on the subject of The Hobbit as being both adult/childrens literature. My professor says he's on something like his 40th reading of The Hobbit and still loves it everytime he reads it.

As already suggested you could begin LOTR again. The beauty of that is you don't have to read the whole 1000+/- pages at once. You can break it down into books or volumes and take breaks from it if you want and not lose anything in your reading now. My advice to you is not to force yourself to read it again. To get burnt out on Tolkien is a tragedy.
cameronkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:15 PM   #10
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

I got kind of tired of the Hobbit at Bilbo's party, but I'm trying. I'm also working on the Silmarillion (spending more time in the index of name elements, though) and reading a Star Trek book, plus school work and regular work, and EC activities (can we say burnout?)

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
Old 02-21-2002, 04:02 PM   #11
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

The end, indeed seldom read more depressing words. Some things just shouldn't end, they should ent...
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 04:05 PM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I would say that if you are terribly hungry for more, then the Silmarillion would be the next book to go for. I know that I never took a break between books on my first time around cause I did want more. I broke away after I finished everything, and I am sorry to say that I stayed away from Tolkien's work for many years. By the time my interest returned, I had forgotten so much. It worked out though, cause every time I have read the books including the Sil, and U.T., it was a pleasure.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 04:47 PM   #13
Haegondwen
Hobbit

unfinished tales

what axactly are the unfinished tales? i have never heard of them? and are any of those books finished by his son any good?
Haegondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 05:31 PM   #14
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx
I would recommend not diving right into another Middle-Earth book right away. Take a Tolkien break and read something non-fantasy.

Don't hit me guys, I think this is important to keep people from getting worn out.
I have to agree....reading it like 12 times none stop probably takes something away from it.
But, I've read the chapter The Grey Havans at least 30 times. I still sob EVERY time....it seriously breaks my heart....where Gandalf talks about how the time of the Rings and the Fellowship of Middle Earth is coming to an end.....AAA!
I'm crying again.
~KGamgee~
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 06:42 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: unfinished tales

Quote:
Originally posted by Haegondwen
what axactly are the unfinished tales? i have never heard of them? and are any of those books finished by his son any good?
Unfinished Tales is a collection of stories that have appeared in the Silmarillion, but U.T. elaborates on them, and fills in a lot of gaps. The other books I believe you are refering to are the Histories of Middle-earth. Christopher Tolkien put these works together. It is J.R.R's. work, consisting of some stories, and notes along with commentaries from Christopher. I have only read a small amount of the HoMe, although I have five volumes, but what I have read was very good.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 06:53 PM   #16
Nameless
Enting

Haegondwen, the UT are literally just Unfinished Tales that Tolkien wrote. They are kind of 'drafts' for the background history to ME. Christopher Tolkien has collected them together and collated an index for each one.

I haven't read all of UT. So far I've picked at different stories. I especially like the stories about how Gandalf came to choose Bilbo to go with the dwarves to steal Smaug's treasure.

I would recommend that you try to read the Silmarillion first, as some of the stories in UT are related to events that occur in this book.

Anyway, the Unfinished Tales are cool, however (like me) you may be disappointed that they are literally unfinished tales!!
Old 02-21-2002, 08:08 PM   #17
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Silmarillion is about those stories and songs they sing about in LotR where you go: "Duh, what are these elves and hobbits talking about?". Unfinished tales is like "I'll tell what really happenned when I when we did so and so but they took my part out".

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 02-22-2002, 01:30 PM   #18
Haegondwen
Hobbit

thanks for the info, guys, i really appreciate it -H
Haegondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 03:08 PM   #19
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

Silmarillion has so much stuff in it, from the creation of the Valar, to Ea, to Stories of the first age. It's so jam packed, that I can't read a whole lot in one sitting. Anyway, I'm trying to get started on THe adventures of Tom Bombadil

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
Old 02-22-2002, 09:23 PM   #20
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I've got "The Tolkien Reader" it's got many of JRR's poems, essays and short stories. I'm back to reading Farmer Giles of Ham.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...