Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-08-2002, 05:46 PM   #1
Nibs
Head Hollara

Maybe I'm off my rocker...

I was just thinking... you know in the movie when Gimli rushes into the room with Balin's tomb, and there is a focused shaft of light coming from the ceiling? Well, when the cave troll came in, shouldn't that have made him turn to stone? Like I said, maybe I'm off my rocker, have lost my marbles, or am short of a full deck, but I thought trolls were incompatible with light like that, as in the Hobbit.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 05:50 PM   #2
Laurenis
Enting

um yeh uve got me thinking about that now.... it does seem kinda strange doesnt it. yeh - maybe it didnt step into the light or something; do the trolls have to actually have light shining on them??? oh man i dunno......
'Therefore he willed that the hearts of Men should seek beyond the world and should find no rest therein; but they should have a virtue to shape their life, amid the powers and chances of the world, beyond the Music of the Ainur, which is as fate to all things else; and of their operation everything should be, in form and deed, completed, and the world fulfilled unto the last and smallest.'
Laurenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 05:53 PM   #3
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Strider i like pork

hmm.. good point..

maybe it's only full fleged daylight.. or maybe it was partially cloudy outside

or maybe someone messed up in the movie..

remember, in the book frodo stabs a foot, it doesn't come into the shaft at all.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:05 PM   #4
Nibs
Head Hollara

If you'll recall, the Fellowship never really encountered a troll in the book. The creature that shanked Frodo was actually an armoured orc warrior whose head was afterwards cleft in two through its helmet by Aragorn. Rather vivid, I say.

Old 02-08-2002, 06:24 PM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

In any case... good point.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:34 PM   #6
aldesign
Elven Warrior

good point, the shaft of light is a big feature in the book,

i suppose it has to touch the troll, like when it came over the hill in the Hobbit, and shone through the forest making gandalf appear as a siloette, and then on the trolls
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 07:37 AM   #7
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

did anyone see if the troll had a brolly to shield his from the sun?
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 08:57 AM   #8
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Don't forget that the Olog- Hai Trolls could endure the sun.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 11:03 AM   #9
Twilight
Elven Warrior

It was stone trolls that turned to stone in the hobbit. The ones in moria were cave trolls, although I am sure they would have reacted badly to sunlight, Especially because it would have never have been in a lighted area before since it has spent it's whole life in the depths of moria. I think it takes direct rays from the sun to kill it. I am sure it wasn't happy with the light that was there. If I remember corectly, there was a troll in the book with the moria scene, but I don't remember if they had to fight it or not. It was an orc tha stabed Frodo.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 10:38 PM   #10
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Originally posted by aldesign
i suppose it has to touch the troll, like when it came over the hill in the Hobbit, and shone through the forest making gandalf appear as a siloette, and then on the trolls
it's kind of hard for a big lumbering.. thing... to stay away from a shaft of light directed at the center of asmall room ( this is the movie im thinking of, ..just so no one gets confused.) it's too late at night to go and re-read the moria parts of the book, but i think that they are in a different room than the one with the light shaft?

im prolly wrong, don't yell at me too much.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:08 PM   #11
aldesign
Elven Warrior

why did u quote me then??
dont get it!!

any way, yeah the Cave troll had a nice Pink Umbrella like Brollum hehehe
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 02:56 AM   #12
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Oh come on, it's not like it's broad daylight. This is Moria we're talking about. Just look at how the entire scene was lit - a very dim, bluish-grey, like the single dim source of light shining on Balin's tomb.

It's still dark, you know. It's not like you can light a torch, or Gandalf's staff, and instantly turn a troll to stone. Even at night, there's moonlight. That didn't turn trolls into stone, did it?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:43 AM   #13
Nibs
Head Hollara

Iron Parrot:
Now, of course there's the moonlight and fire and Gandalf's staff issue... the trolls in the Hobbit had even made a fire... It's just that I think we can assume the light in the movie was of the sun, but it had no apparent effect on the troll, which I thought may. It was obviously not full-fledged daylight, and I was speculating upon whether it should have affected the troll.

Anyway, I was merely asking everyone's opinion on it. Yours seems to be so obvious to yourself that everyone should have realized it. I'm sorry if I got you fired up about my comment, but I wasn't asking for a quarrell.

Your comments seem somewhat condescending, especially "Oh, come on" and "did it?" I'm not deeply offended, and you may have been addressing someone else in particular, but as the starter of this thread I felt it was directed at me for bringing it up.

Well, I've been rambling on quite a while now... I'll let you go.

Don't gimme no grief.

Last edited by Nibs : 02-23-2002 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:15 PM   #14
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Heh, nothing harsh intended. I was just being cheeky.

But technically... moonlight is sunlight too. Just not much of it.

If there isn't much sunlight, it can hardly be considered daylight...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote