Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-28-2000, 01:35 AM   #1
Flame of the West

What is your favorite battle?

I was just wondering. I personally like the Battle of Five Armies.
Old 08-28-2000, 02:00 AM   #2
Shanamir Duntak

Re: What is your favorite battle?

Welcome to the board, Flame!
Personnaly, and lots of people must know by now, I prefer the battle where Boromir dies.
Old 08-28-2000, 03:35 PM   #3
Gilthalion

I think the most stirring battle is the Battle on the Fields of Pellanor. From the preceding chapter when the City hears the horns of the Rohirrim to the cry of Death! by the entire host of Riders when Eomer thinks that both Theoden and Eowyn are slain.
Old 08-28-2000, 05:44 PM   #4
Finduilas

I agree. My favourite has to be the Battle of the Pelennor Fields (Particularly Gandalf facing down the Witch-King).
Old 08-28-2000, 06:21 PM   #5
gatito

I agree the battle of the Pelennor fields was the most powerful it had Theoden's death and The slaying of the Witch King by Merry and Eowyn. Eowyn's "death" and then when Eomer was told she wasn't dead. It was just a very powerful and dramatic scene.

Old 08-28-2000, 06:52 PM   #6
Arathorn II

I also agee, the Battle on the Fields of Pellanor.
Old 08-28-2000, 09:01 PM   #7
Grand Admiral Reese

The Battle of the Pellennor Fields.

Five Armies was great, though.
Old 08-29-2000, 06:43 PM   #8
Finduilas

Another good one is when Pippin kills the Troll and it falls on top of him. The last thing he hears is "The Eagles are coming" and he thinks of Bilbo.
Old 08-30-2000, 03:20 AM   #9
Flame of the West

I just finished book 5. The battle of the Pellanor fields was great! I finally realize why everyone likes that one. With the death of the Witch King, and the coming of Aragorn and the Rangers on the Black sailed ships. The best part though was when then the Rohan come over the feild with the cry of death lead by Theoden. That battle is gonna be great on the movie. I just hope they do it right. I couldn't stand having that battle ruined. Finduilas, that's also a great battle!
Old 08-30-2000, 12:15 PM   #10
Shanamir Duntak

Finduilas... Isn't that in the battle of Pellanor? Sorry but my memory didn't help me on that one...
Old 08-30-2000, 12:50 PM   #11
Eruve

**********SPOILER WARNING************
For those who haven't read to the end of ROTK.
Spoiler space

No what Finduilas mentioned happens at the battle in fromt of the Morannon just before the Ring is destroyed.
Old 08-30-2000, 01:51 PM   #12
Wizard of the Secret Fire

Yep.

My favorite battle is defenitely the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, especially the Witch-king parts.
Old 08-30-2000, 05:15 PM   #13
Finduilas

Return of the King pages 120-121:
Thrice he cried. Thrice the great ram boomed. And suddenly upon the last stroke the Gate of Gondor broke. As if stricken by some blasting spell it burst asunder; there was a flash of searing lightning, and the doors tumbled in riven fragments to the ground In rode the Lord of the Nazgul. A great black shape against the fires beyond, he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgul, under the arch that no enemy ever yet had passed, and all fled before his face.
All save one. There waiting silent and still in the space before the Gate, sat Gandalf upon Shadowfax, Shadowfax who alone among the free horses of the earth endured the terror, unmoving, steadfast as a graven image in Rath Dinen.
"You cannot enter here," said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. "Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!"

Later in the passage:
"Old Fool!" he said. "Old Fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!"

That is one of my favourites.
It was essentially the same from the beginning (as shown in The War of the Ring. If you want, I'll post that quote.
Old 08-31-2000, 08:09 PM   #14
Morkhon

Definitely Pellenor Fields.
Old 09-02-2000, 01:52 AM   #15
Legolas

Erm... I do not remember the name of the battle, but the one in The Two Towers where Legolas and Gimli have the fighting contest (they both got what- thirty one orcs?) was definitely my favourite. That was my favourite book of The Hobbit and The Trilogy, actually.

Legolas
Old 09-02-2000, 12:31 PM   #16
Eruve

That's Helm's Deep. It occurs to me I haven't voted, so I vote for Pellanor.
Old 09-02-2000, 04:34 PM   #17
Legolas

Ah, yes, Helm's Deep. I loved that battle. In fact, that was one of my favourite parts in the entire series...

Celeborn
Old 09-02-2000, 05:48 PM   #18
Finduilas

There are some beautiful moments in that one too. Such as the horn echoing closer and closer. Also Aragorn's speech to the Uruk-hai.
Old 09-02-2000, 08:38 PM   #19
dunedain lady

Yeah, Legolas and Gimli's contest inthe Battle of Helm's Deep is one of my favorites, too. I also like the fight against the Balrog in Moria, though I don't know if you'd term that a "battle." The part where they are reading the journal, then hear the drums echoing closer and closer really spooks me!
The Battle of the Pellenor Fields is good, too.
Old 09-04-2000, 01:43 AM   #20
arynetrek

i'd have to agree with the majority & vote for Pellennor.

SPOILERS AHEAD

esp. when Eowyn slays the witch-king

as for battle aftermaths, Aragorn's soliloquizing after the death of Boromir is a great scene. as someone said in another thread, we get to see Aragorn in a moment of self-doubt & that makes him all the more realistic.

and in the Orc-killing contest, Legolas scored 40 & Gimli 41 (i think)

aryne *