Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 10:26 PM   #1
Araethirion
Hobbit

Location: Mirkwood! Ok, ok... California. What's the difference? Errr... nevermind.
Question about 'Frodo Lives'

Why is 'Frodo Lives' in a lot of peoples signatures? Is it from HoME or Silm. or is it something from the boards? If from book: Can you please give me a breif summary/quote of it, or if its in the boards, please direct me how long ago and what board -- thank you!

FRODO LIVES!!
Old 02-06-2002, 10:40 PM   #2
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I can't seem to find the thread...

Well, ok. I'll explain what I know, but I could be wrong.

Lord of the Rings was not very popular in the States before. I heard there was some small matter of there actually not being an authorized North American publishing of it or something like that. Anyways, by the time I think some big important war comes around (Vietnam? something like that? Or maybe it was Cold War stuff. ) an unauthorized edition starts circulating in North America. These universal themes of good and evil and war and small people overcoming enormous obstacles resonate with the population and mentality of the time and the book becomes a kind of underground/cult classic. Consequently, about this time, the phrase "Frodo lives" starts appearing in strange places, like graffiti, all over the place.

I think I got the main idea, but it's very likely I got the time period mixed up. I wasn't born yet, you see, so I'm going on what I heard elsewhere.

Someone on this board suggested to try bringing "Frodo lives" back, so that's why people are putting it everywhere. I'm sorry to this person, I don't remember who you are, but it's a cool idea! I can't find that thread anymore either.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:49 PM   #3
Araethirion
Hobbit

Location: Mirkwood! Ok, ok... California. What's the difference? Errr... nevermind.
Cool!! And thank you!! I'll add 'FRODO LIVES' in my siggy

FRODO LIVES!!
Old 02-06-2002, 11:09 PM   #4
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

Hey thanks! I was wondering the exact same thing!!!

~*Elf Princess*~
Old 02-06-2002, 11:48 PM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Wow, I had no idea. I thought it was just a cool quote. Well, it's still cool, but . . . that's nice to know. Thanks, mirrille!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 02-07-2002, 02:20 PM   #6
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I didn't know either. It's just because the movie came out, so there were alot of newpaper articles on LOTR, and some of them must have mentioned it and that's where I saw it. That's why I might have muddled some details. Best to find out for sure by checking some other articles.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:56 PM   #7
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Strider tagging

WOOT!

**gets out his Big Black Marker Pen, and Spray paint

"Thats it GUYS, im off tagging, its gonna be all around Brighton (my home city) in England,
"LETS BRING THIS CRAZE BACK!!!!!!!!"
Old 02-07-2002, 07:41 PM   #8
Sakata
Elven Warrior

I fully support the frodo lives craize (I even carved in a desk at school!) But a heavier burden than people not knowing who frodo is lays on my heart.

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Old 02-07-2002, 08:07 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I believe it is rather unnessecary to insert 'Frodo Lives' in your signature, for a Tolkien messageboard.

Anyway, here is the original thread. http://www.tolkientrail.com/entmoot/...&threadid=3182 .
Old 02-07-2002, 08:07 PM   #10
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

The "Frodo Lives!" graffiti happened all throughout the 70's when the book had just reached its full popularity in the US. I know because my teacher was there when it happened and he told us about it. Very cool He said, "You just had to be there..."

I think it's about time we brought it back!
Closed Thread