Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2002, 06:02 AM   #1
coolismo
Enting

Where's Gollum?

Did anyone see Gollum on or near the Argonath? Apparently he is sitting on one of their eyelids as the fellowship pass by. Anyone see that or was he on the bank?

also...

Are those pictures over the fire in Bag End really Peter Jackson ex beard and the lovely Mrs J?

And anyone know the name of the ring Aragorn is wearing right at the end?

And is one of Aragorns names 'hope' as in when Boromir says that it is a long time since Gondor had any hope...?

Does Gollum appear at other unflagged moments....?
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 06:36 AM   #2
athelas
Enting

I think one of his names, Estel, means hope.
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 07:03 AM   #3
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

i should look for gollum in that scene the next time i watch it. hopefully, there's still one cinema showing lotr:fotr in my area

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 09:15 PM   #4
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Estel was a name given to Aragorn by Elrond and Aragorns mother when he fostered Aragorn, it was given to him to keep his past and heritage from him till he was mature enough, also to keep suspicions from the enemy at bay. Estel means 'hope' in the Sindarin Tongue.

Bungo Baggins and Belladonna Baggins do indeed have the faces of Peter Jackson and his wife, Fran Walsh.

Last edited by Comic Book Guy : 01-30-2002 at 09:17 PM.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:02 PM   #5
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

I knew it! iknewitiknewitIknewit! I KNEW I saw something in the eye of one of those statues.
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:05 PM   #6
olsonm
Elf Lord

I thought it was just some birds?
Old 01-31-2002, 12:03 AM   #7
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Whoa, I didn't notice anything of the sort. On the statue's eyelid? Interesting place to perch.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 03:50 PM   #8
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i thought that was just birds too. don`t know how gollum would have got up there if it was him
eowyn144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 06:19 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I don't see why not, he can crawl down a cliff face with relative (but cautious) ease and climb up the stairs of Cirith Ungol quickly enough. Not that I believe in the Gollum in Eyelid rumor, plenty of Gollum rumors are created by peoples misconceptions of shots.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 06:22 PM   #10
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
AHH. I didn't see it. I did see the little birdies that flew from the statues helm and I saw the pictures of Belladonna and Bungo but I had no idea they were Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson. I just thought they didn't look at all like Bilbo OR Frodo.
One thing I want to know is did anyone see a car moving from Right to Left in the scene where Sam is taking that final step with Mr Frodo? I didn't see anything like it but I did see a car shaped bush in the distance so that might be what it was.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 06:44 PM   #11
aldesign
Elven Warrior

i tried to see the car on my 3rd viewing, but failed

what i did love though is:
AFTER WEATHERTOP, when they run a short distance with Frodo in Aragorns Arms, cause hes been stabbed...

....[Blank]........

......and when he Aragorn asks Sam to find some Flower, that sam calls a "Common Weid"

[Blank]
They all stop and sit down in the middle of the 3-Trolls from the HOBBIT which are now Stone.
THAT WAS A GREAT TOUCH< even if it was just a backdrop.
[/Blank]

and no.. i didnt see Gollum on the KingsOf Old statues
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 03:02 AM   #12
orald
Enting

I have a home version,and after reading this thread,went back,and froze that frame,it does appear,that something is in the crevice of the right eye,on the brother on the right.Whatever it is,it seems to be the reasons the birds fly away from the statue.But its to dark to make out what it really is,or if it was supposed to have any meaning at all,but it's much to large to be the bird's nest.
orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 05:49 PM   #13
aldesign
Elven Warrior

sweet, one more thing for me to add to my list, when i see it a forth time,

right bloke, right eye, black shape

cheers
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 05:52 PM   #14
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Okay, just saw it the 5th time, and I paid attention to all these things.

I did not see Gollum on/near the Argonath.

The car thing: A saw a very small, fast-moving white gleam. Just a spot, really. The thing is, in daylight you wouldn't be able to see a car's headlights from that distance, and they don't look that white either. So I don't know.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 11:22 PM   #15
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Saw the movie again and didn't see any froglike creature on any of the Argonath statues; though I did see the birds.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 12:19 AM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Just saw the movie for the seventh time today, and though I did not see Gollum perched upon the Argonath [I wasn't looking for him though] I did see the car in the scarecrow shot [you can see its headlights right below the horizon upper right hand horizon, 1/4 screen from the right].

At this point I may wait for the DVD to see Gollum on the Argonath, although it was more entertaining this viewing to see previews for the new star Wars movie rather than Austin Powers...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:39 AM   #17
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I saw that on my first viewing - but to me it just looks like the bird's nest. The birds are shown leaving the eyelid and you can clearing see their wings flapping. I would think that we'd be able to see Gullom a little bit better then - if it was him - considering he is the size of a hobbit (compared to the size of the birds and the amount of detail you can see with them).

I've also tried figuring out what it is on the 5 viewings afterward - but the only thing it looks like to me is a bird's nest.

And my DVD player has zoom feature - so I'll be checking some of this stuff out once the DVD is released,

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-08-2002 at 01:40 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 12:11 PM   #18
coolismo
Enting

Yeah its a birds nest or I'm not a hobbit o ... i'm an enting now
Old 02-09-2002, 05:47 PM   #19
coolismo
Enting

After yet another viewing some quirky observations from the bottom of the barrel:

Three arrows in Isildurs floating body, same whistle into the door in Moria past Boromir and three find Boromir at his end.

I didn’t realise that Gandalf loses his staff to Saruman and he has a new one post Rivendell (everyone else probably got it but me).

Staff version one has a funky groove in it where Gandalf keeps his pipe, the pipe staff runs into one of the curly branch, twiggy bits.

Theres a truly awful moment I hadn’t realised before. Outside the gates of Moria after the stones are chucked into the pool we see the ripples on the water and the score descends into a basey variation of the classic jaws theme. Yuk

I’m sure when Frodo offers the ring to Gandalf the ring is bigger. Anticipating Gandalf’s finger?

Is Boromir’s horn split in two on his belt just prior to his demise. I’m sure I saw it in two halves?

O I finally saw the car headlights.

No Gollum on the eyelid…my source was wrong there.

Where is Gollum? No sign after Moria. Won’t non Tolk’s think Gollum is a funny creature who had the ring once but now lives in Moria? There was no real sense of him following the company.

O here’s a note that will probably turn out naff: as Sam wades out to Frodo over his left shoulder you can see a column of masonry which is a stand alone ruin. On it is a shape of a cross. Maybe a reference to St Peter. Probably not.

O and finally there is a truly terrible midget double cut in Rivendell. It’s at the council when Elrond does his ..’company of nine speech,’ the midget stand in of Frodo is awful, looks like it might be a kid.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:58 PM   #20
TinuvielChild
Padawan

ummm..i've only seen fotr twice, so anyone can correct me if i'm wrong: was it just me, or did gandalf's staff not have a light-up crystal before moria?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote