Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2002, 06:00 AM   #1
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

What actor was least like there character from the book?

What actor was least like there character from the book?

To me i think it was Elrond. He just didnt seem to have the power and wisdom like he did in the book.
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 06:25 AM   #2
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Yeah, I can see what you mean by Elrond.

However, for me it was Gandalf.

He seemed like a disshevelled, drunk, pedophile. He seemed to lack any wisdom or the diginity of an Istari. Did you see the way Elrond and Saruman dissed him as if he were nothing but an addled minded simpleton.

He seemed weak and unsure of himself. I only hope that it is to contrast him with Gandalf the White.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 07:25 AM   #3
athelas
Enting

Arwen Undomiel

Definitely Arwen with her Xena elf thing. But we would have to watch the next 2 movies to find out if she really differs that much.

Elrond had that "Agent Smith" feel. I dunno why, but I just couldn't shake it off while watching him.
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 11:16 AM   #4
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Damn. I though Gandalf was one that they paid most attention to when making him like his character. Of course, ones from the "evil side" dissed him. They need to make themselves feel better somehow. Don't ya know that's how bullies work? And don't mistake his silences for weaknesses -- that's never a good thing to do. I'm a smart, wise person, but I shut my mouth up most of the time. I feel like someone's steretyping me when they say stuff like that.

As for Elrond, yeah, he was "kind of" different. He expressed a little too much resentment for humans than the Elrond from the book. Other than that, he too still came off wise and knowing.

I think they royally screwed Arwen. But, then again, I have to admit I liked the change
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 01:09 PM   #5
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Damn. I though Gandalf was one that they paid most attention to when making him like his character. Of course, ones from the "evil side" dissed him. They need to make themselves feel better somehow. Don't ya know that's how bullies work? And don't mistake his silences for weaknesses -- that's never a good thing to do. I'm a smart, wise person, but I shut my mouth up most of the time. I feel like someone's steretyping me when they say stuff like that.
Rogue Elf PLEASE don't think what follows is a flame in anyway. I just know from experience that the written word can be construed in a manner that was not intended due to lack of vocal signals. And after I wrote the follow I thought it could have sounded rougher than I intended.

Elrond isn't evil and he seemed to speak down to Gandalf as if he were an insignificant ninny.

I never mentioned anything about him being silent.
I said weak and unsure so your stated is non sequitor.

Gandalf is an Istari. Not a inebriated seeming, paranoid,
undignified weeping willow.

Gandalf was a being of bearing, dignity, strength. He exuded these qualites. Gandalf in the movie was NONE of these things.[

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:00 PM   #6
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

while Gandalf did seem a little unsure, I think it worked pretty well because at first, he didn't understand much about the ring but as the movie went on, it seemed to me that he got an idea of what to do

I dunno, it's hard for me to explain but I disagree with it being gandalf

I think it was probably.... Boromir I expected him to be a little more... what's the word? defiant in a selfish sort of way I also imagined him blonde, but that's because when I read, I don't pay a lot of attention to physical descriptions of people unless there's a certain feature mentioned through the whole thing or if the person is said to be similar to a celebrity

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 03:11 PM   #7
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf

I never mentioned anything about him being silent.
I said weak and unsure so your stated is non sequitor.
Uh, actually, I was just stating "if" you thought his silences were weaknesses. That's all. I never said that you mentioned he was silent It's just you come off as if Gandalf was potrayed in a horrible manner and so far most people said he kept too quiet and never "fough back" persay and that's was made his character so different. I was just putting it in the context as what most people were thinking.

And as for pedophile...I'm not sure where you got that from...

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 01-27-2002 at 03:13 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 04:55 PM   #8
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Yeah, were does the pedophile thing come in? I thought Gandalf was good, except the "Is it secret? Is it safe?" scene, which was a little too . . . disturbed(?) seeming.

Arwen was the most different, but I liked her.

I think Gimli and Merry were the ones who got screwed over. Gimli came across as kind of stupid and incompetent, not at all sturdy and steadfast like he's supposed to be - randomly yelling at Legolas? Being pulled up by his beard? Getting caught off guard by Haldir? Not cool. And Merry just didn't get much to say, which upset me because he's one of my favorite characters.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:40 PM   #9
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I think Arwen was mutated into a totally different person. I don't know if I liked it or not. Hmm...
Farmer Maggot! They made him a big bad guy with a scythe instead of the wise but crusty old hobbit he really was.
For those who don't care about Farmer Maggot...
Gimli was changed for the worst. He reminded me of a shruken "Barbarian" from the 1965 movie "The Fall of the Roman Empire." Except they had blond hair. (don't ask...I'm watching it in Latin...)
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 06:15 PM   #10
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I would have to say that the most changed character was... elves.

Elves were completely different in the movie.

Arwen... was completely wrong in more than half her scenes. The 'love scene' was ok... but the dialogue felt wrong.

Elrond... sucked.

Galadriel... had way too much of a sinister feel.

aside from that... gimli was ok for the most part, gruff but still reliable. And elves did make fun of dwarves beards... The lothlorien scene was dumb though.

Gandalf... was somewhat bad. He wasn't as great and powerful as he should have been... but not as bad as he could have been.

ermm... go not to the Wayfarer with a question, for he will give you a half a dozen different replies.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:00 PM   #11
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

my two cents:

i think boromir was wrong. in the book, he comes accross as arrogant in a proud sort of way, although in the movie he seemed ignorant and basically just a jerk.

i hated the whole arwen warrior elven-princess thing, personally. she's (tyler) credited for all three movies, which is funny considering she's not even mentioned in TT. i think she'll replace the dunedain in ROTK and possibly fight in the battle of the pelennor fields, but how they'll squeeze her into TT i'm not too sure...

i think the movie marred the characters of merry and pippin too. it seemed like they were only there for occassional moments of comic relief - hopefully this will only be used to contrast with their knighthood in ROTK.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:55 PM   #12
Earendil
Sapling

Galadriel!!
I'm sure Cate Blanchett would've done a wonderful job without all that flashing and looking like a photo negative.

Haldir was not at all what I had in mind, I thought he's nose was too big....

And Legolas' eyebrows didn't suit his hair colour... but I won't hold that against him
Old 01-27-2002, 10:57 PM   #13
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
You stole my quote

Yeah, the eyebrow thing may be distracting to some people, but it didn't bug me. I even thought his hair really was blonde until I saw a picture of Orlando Bloom at a premiere. I guess it's because my sister is a natural blonde with dark eyebrows. It'd be odd to dye your eyebrows, a la Jerod Leto.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:19 PM   #14
Earendil
Sapling

great minds think alike ...

yeah, i agree blond hair suits Mr. Bloom

can't wait to see more of Gollum!!! sorry.. I'm off the topic
Old 01-27-2002, 11:23 PM   #15
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
One of my friends said that Legolas looked like a girl. GRR!!!!!

Eh, she also fell asleep during the movie, so FEH to her...her opinion doesn't count.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:29 PM   #16
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

great minds think alike yet fools rarely differ

i'm a bit of a fool (of a took) so i'll agree with you - i think cate blanchett was ideal for galadriel. i think she has this catlike beauty like a lioness... very regal, noble and powerful.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:41 AM   #17
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Cate Blanchett was a great Galadriel--but she would have been SO much better without that crazy special-effects stuff! They should have stuck more to the book there--and that way have included Nenya! But more to the subject, I think Arwen was probably the biggest change, and the only part that really bugged me was her line about "If you want him, come and claim him!" Which seemed incredibly corny and quite different from the effect I thought the Nazgul have on people. But some other big changes were Elrond being a little more sinister and Agent Smith-ish ("Mr. Baggins. You seem to have been leading two lives. One, as a peaceful Hobbit of the Shire, the other as the bearer of a dangerous magical ring. One of these lives has a future, the other does not."), Saruman seemed totally different, and...well, there was a lot of other stuff, which has all been mentioned, so I won't take more of your time
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:44 AM   #18
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

One more thing...
I know a lot of people who have said Legolas looked like a girl. Grrr to them!!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:47 AM   #19
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

they only think he looks like a girl because of the long blonde hair... and the smooth skin... and his little mouth... hmmm i just had a friend over who said he looked like a girl but i think he (my friend) looks a lot like orlando bloom himself! he'd look like a girl too if he had to wear a long blonde wig!
Old 01-29-2002, 06:04 AM   #20
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Definately Boromir, although Sam and everyone else except Bilbo were wrong too, there was no way Sean Bean was going to play anything BUT the hero. Bad casting mistake I think.

Saruman was not good either, but I don't know if it was just a bad script, I think, for the most part, the casting would have been passable (but not good) if the script had been better.
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote